Lavs to Zoom H4N/H6

christt

As I recall, the H4n 1/4" input is line level only, Don't know about the H6, probably the same. So it will probably will not work at all. Try using a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter and use that input.

BTW, Just so you know, this a 'pro' discussion forum. Hobbyist type gear inquiries are better asked over at the DVi or DVX audio forums.. .

• 4 weeks later...
Hello All,

I would like to know if it's possible to get cleaner audio from a lav receiver to a Zoom H4N/H6?
Is it possible to plug a 1/4 plug from the lav to the Zoom instead of the XLR to get better audio?

Thank you.

H4n 1/4 jack is not the way to go for good audio at all. Xlr input will be better but that device sucks in general. H/6 has better preamp but still not where you need to be audio wise. It's like saying instead of getting mcdonalds, go to steak and shake

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, ndg2k005 said:

H4n 1/4 jack is not the way to go for good audio at all. Xlr input will be better but that device sucks in general. H/6 has better preamp but still not where you need to be audio wise. It's like saying instead of getting mcdonalds, go to steak and shake

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Contrary to what seems evident, the correct way to use the H4n is to use the 1/4 jack. The XLR preamps on the H4n are very noisy, but the 1/4 inputs are not(apparently).

Here's a blog where the author has a few different posts about using the H4n with a padded cable and a MixPre: http://www.danmccomb.com/zoom-h4n-with-sound-devices-mixpre-how-to-properly-connect-the-two-for-pristine-audio/ Even if you're not using a MixPre in front of the H4n, the same principles apply.