Solely computer recording?

I did this for multicam and music videos for several years.  Actually I cheated because I ran a 702 of the mix as well as the computer running mix+isos (MOTU Audio Desk, then Metacorder, later Boom Recorder).  I got away with it, pretty much.  That said, I went to hardware multitracks when I could afford it (664+CL6, JoeCo), so there it is.  There are lots of threads here and on GS about the pluses and minuses of computer-based recording on location...

My apologies. I meant strictly Boom Recorder or Metacorder. I just interested for my own curiosity. I am in the process of expanding my recording setup to include an external multi track recorder, the Zoom F8. My previous multi track recordings took place on two separate recoders, the H4n and the Tascam HD-P2. That was tedious with two different recorders and file naming file system. I am planning to purchase the F8 in the next month or so. My sit and mix mixer is the Mackie 1620i. Before I made the purchase I failed to the specs on the outputs. There are no expansion ports on the back of the 1620i. The expansion ports are only on the 1620, 1640 and the 1640i. When I purchased the mixer it was from an estate sale and there are no returns. Therefore I am stuck with the delima of purchasing the 1620 or just deal with using only using the two recorders until

You can easily hook up your (new) F8 to the 1620i--check the manual and the pic of the back of the console.  You can use all those insert points as well as the 4 aux sends as iso outputs.  For the insert points the bonehead method is to "half-jack" a TRS connector to just the first click--this outputs the channel signal without breaking the signal path inside the mixer.  The manual has some info on making yourself some cables that will do this without half jacking.  I've used this method to get prefade iso outs of various Mackie and Yamaha etc mixers for decades--not perfect but very doable.  You can easily come up with 8 outs for your new F8 from this console.  The manual is on Mackie's website.

mackie-onyx-1620i-rear-1.jpg

Onyx1620i_OM.pdf

4 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

You can easily hook up your (new) F8 to the 1620i--check the manual and the pic of the back of the console.  You can use all those insert points as well as the 4 aux sends as iso outputs.  For the insert points the bonehead method is to "half-jack" a TRS connector to just the first click--this outputs the channel signal without breaking the signal path inside the mixer.  The manual has some info on making yourself some cables that will do this without half jacking.  I've used this method to get prefade iso outs of various Mackie and Yamaha etc mixers for decades--not perfect but very doable.  You can easily come up with 8 outs for your new F8 from this console.  The manual is on Mackie's website.

mackie-onyx-1620i-rear-1.jpg

Onyx1620i_OM.pdf

Wow!!! I never knew that about the insert points. I can always play around with a cable to figure this out. I will make this happen. I see why there are hero members on this board. I have played around with studio boards for quite some time and never heard of anyone doing this. Thank you.

https://supportloudtech.netx.net/loud-public/#/asset/13617

Thanks again I just looked at the video Mackie has on its support website.

• 7 months later...
18 hours ago, Smooth Operator said:

"Half-jacking" is a dangerous game. I'd suggest 8 standard insert cables. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/IPBQ2Q10

I did it for years and years w/o issues.  We made homemade half-jack cables by adding 3/8" hex nut to each TRS 1/4" plug on the mixer side, fastened with paper tape.  If you have the $ then make or have made some custom cables that will do the trick when fully inserted, sure.  But usually folks driving Mackies don't have the $ for that sort of customization across 24/32 or more chan worth of cables, so you do what you gotta do.

• 2 years later...
On 8/18/2016 at 3:00 PM, Cedric Akins said:

Are there any sound recordists here relying specifically on recording to computer only without running an external backup recorder?

That would be professional suicide. Always use a backup.

The Mackie half jack is disturbing to look at and is unbalanced, but I've never had any issues with it.

58 minutes ago, DonSpaulding said:

That would be professional suicide. Always use a backup.

The Mackie half jack is disturbing to look at and is unbalanced, but I've never had any issues with it.

Then I'm already dead!  I did computer based recording for 16--32 tracks for many years and always got away with it.  Not my fave or choice, but what we could afford, and a lot of albums and shows got made that way!   The half-jack thing is just fine if you are careful which of course you are!  Again, at that budg-level yhou do what you have to do....