mercedes benz metris cargo

Richard Ragon

I know this was talked about before.  I've been kicking the idea around, to replace my Astro van with something newer (for a while now).  However, I couldn't find any substitutes for the Astro Van.  When Astro Vans discontinued in 2008, the market was wide open with nearly nothing in the small van category.  There's a Nissan, a Ramvan, yet another Ford Transit now, and even a new Chevy Van I think.  But the Mercedes Metris looks really nice.  Its small and under 7ft tall so you can get under LA parking structures. Gets around 22MPG, and is about the same size as the Astro Van.  My issue is it might be more costly then a Transit.  But Transit would be my second choice for sure.  Anyone look into on of these?

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2015/03/2016-mercedes-benz-metris-van-video.html

Richard, you may want to take a look at the Ram Promaster City Tradesman van. Its specs beat the Transit, as well as the Nissan NV200. I went to see one and came away truly impressed. I will be going for a test ride this weekend, and will probably be buying one within the next two months.

I wasn't aware of the Metris - will take a look. But I'm sure it's more than the $25,000 I'm planning to spend on the Ram…

HTH,

BK

The only problem with the Mercedes vans (like the Sprinter) is that the maintenance costs quite a lot on it.  My better half's company uses a fleet of them for their contractors and she tells me that every time one of those goes in for just typical service, it seems it's at least $500-1000 check she has to write.  I recently bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee and I noticed they have quite a few of those ProMaster vans (both the smaller FWD one and the bigger one) sitting there with quite a few incentives tacked on.  I believe the FWD smaller one was going for $20k new.

I did the commercials for the Metris, gave it a very good looking over... after my looking over I came to the conclusion I would take ANOTHER Chevy Express 3/4 ton cargo 6.6 Diesel without question... for me, no comparison...  The 100,000 mile powertrain warranty on the Chevy is also nice. I service it myself... easy... Transmission, Oil, Rear end and fuel and oil filters... I am at 105,000 miles and the brakes are both original and in good shape.. what more can I ask for..  oh I know.. 22 miles per gallon with a TON of power.

The Metris looked OK overall, but appeared really light duty... all of it... chassis, suspension, undercarriage, materials, cab, seats etc...The Chevy is a workhorse... I also cant get over the funky appearance of the "EURO" vans...   my .02

There must be a lot of soundies using Chevy Astros (or GMC Safaris). I know Jeff uses or used one. The soundie here in the bay area that I learned from...had one. Wandering Ear has/had one. Mine has been super practical and dependable.

Now it's getting time..and I echo your sentiments Richard Ragon, except mine goes, "I've been kicking the idea around, to replace my Safari van with something newer (for a while now).  However, I couldn't find any substitutes for the Safari Van." 

Why did they retire the idea of the family van? I can't find one that doesn't look ugly, and commercial and boxy anymore. Seems every time they get something right, they feel the need to discontinue it. Frustrating.

Rachel, I'm with you.  Right after they discontinued the Astro, there was literately nothing on the market to replace it.  The first small van to fill in the hole, was the transvan.  But the trick was.. it was outsourced.  Ford, in their haste took one of the small euro cars, slapped a ford logo on it, and brought it too the America market.. The result was uuuggggly (if you ask me).  Over the last few years, all the car manufactures realized there was this huge hole in the market and scrambled to fill it. Shortly after along came the newer transvan, the ram, a new chevy, and a few nissians.  But, yeah.. All euro looking uuuggllly.  Fast forward 5 years now, and we have yet another newer transvan (actually made in the US) that looks somewhat decent, and now even a few more mini vans too.

p.s.  Just a side note.. The Astros were discontinued because they failed the new fed crash test for 2017-18. GM just said it would be easier to pull the plug as sales were slumping anyway, and just focus on the express vans.

-Richard 

On 8/23/2016 at 10:00 PM, old school said:

For all you fans of "Fugly", my Ram ProMaster rules.

CrewC

Here is one w potential. 

CrewC

image.jpeg

Love this paintwork. It reminds me of of the American painter Richard Diebenkorn's Ocean Park paintings - during the period of the those paintings he was based in Santa Monica which I guess is a bit further north than yourself (in So Cal?)

The Metris, Pro Master and full sized Transits are all really nice vans. But my first generation (for North America) Ford Transit Connect just won't die. I've been really happy with it. Starts every time, carries a ton of gear and has needed little to no work beyond oil changes. However, my '89 Vanagon Westfalia is another story.

It's funny how most of my non industry friends (and even some industry colleagues) think its funny how in to vans I am, lol. 

I believe the Metris is the same as the "Vito"?  If so, we had one on a shoot in Finland last week.  We had a driver but it seemed to handle nice / was rather nimble.  Being a Euro version, it was the turbo diesel which I don't think would be available stateside but it was a pretty perky little engine.  Cargo wise, we had it in the three rows of seats version but we still had some pretty solid cargo space for all our bags/pelican cases as we went out to shoot on this documentary.