Pull out video monitor

Phil Palmer

I'm changing up the monitor situ on my cart (again).  Adding a pullout screen and using a Decimator Design DMON-6S as a multi-viewer.  There are a few monitor options out there, but only a couple that I've seen on rigs.  The DataVideo and the one offered by Rackmountmart.com are two I've seen in use.  Here are the links:

http://www.datavideo.com/us/product/TLM-170PM

http://rackmountmart.com/rmLCD/lcd1U17-018.htm

If anyone has any experience with these, or any others (good/bad/indifferent) please let me know.

Thanks and much appreciated.

I spent a lot of time looking into the RackmountMart stuff and each item has so many variations and options, I found it very difficult to figure out what I wanted. Then, once configured, the monitors seemed very expensive for what they are. I was specifically looking for Touch function and that's probably why it got so complicated.

I used the Datavideo model for quite a while. Actually, I used a slightly different version, which was without full HD capability, only HD-ready.
It's a great monitor and it served me well. It held up under all conditions, incl. outside work at -25 degrees Celsius.
Also, everyone was always impressed by the size and picture of it. It less ideal for two-camera setups. It does offer picture-in-picture, but the2nd picture is much smaller and you need it in a different format. I think on mine it even needed to be analog, but I'm not sure iirc.
The were two reasons why I eventually dumped it.
One was that it is very deep and I couldn't really fit it into my new cart anymore. It's heavy, too, by the way.
The second reason was that one day the internal power supply broke. It's all PCB mounted, so difficult to repair even for the shop where I bought it. They ordered a replacement which needed about two months to get to the shop. Datavideo have really bad service.