Oktava MK-012 any thoughts or comments on it

ProSound

Not TRUE

All ASM are fake.

A fact directly from the "director" manager of the TULA factory.

It is an urban legend that ASM is business went bad.

I do not remember the exact facts but a guy named Tom wanted to do business with Tula but just made knock offs in CHina

I was raised on Oktava and Geffel mics for years.

I have to tell you after Mike did the mod the clarity of the sound changed a lot.

Highs changed almost like extended flat high frequency.

I haven't seen a "fake" Oktava offered for sale in MANY years now.  The ones that say "ASM" on them are NOT fakes--they were just built under a convoluted business deal that went bad.  There is a website that shows what to look for-- the diffs are very obvious, and the fakes were only available from one source (Guitar Center) and only for a very short period of time.  The "real" Oktavas, esp the older ones, are very variable in quality, as their QC and parts sourcing were pretty spotty.  That all said, I've found them to be a great value for the money, especially as instrument mics.    Whether the mods available for them are worth the money as compared to spending the cost of the mic + the mod on a different mic are down to personal sonic aesthetics, I say.

phil p

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not TRUE

All ASM are fake.

A fact directly from the "director" manager of the TULA factory.

It is an urban legend that ASM is business went bad.

I do not remember the exact facts but a guy named Tom wanted to do business with Tula but just made knock offs in CHina

I have to tell you after Mike did the mod the clarity of the sound changed a lot.

Highs changed almost like extended flat high frequency.

The truth about the Oktava MC012s from 2002- to 2005 or so seems to be more nuanced than you state.  Why do I say this? Because in that period there were at least 3 different versions of the mic that I saw, of which I have 2.  There is the obvious fake--with the wrong body screws, no 10 DB pad, the wrong box, a black plastic clip and no docs, which has no SN and may or may not say ASM on it and may be labelled MK012 or MC012.  There is the ASM version that looks identical to the versions of that time that do NOT say ASM on them, came in the correct box, HAD the 10 db pad, HAD the docs, HAD the correct (peculiar) Oktava mic clip, HAD the right screws and may or may not have an SN (have seen both).  The MC012s of that time seem so mixed up that I suspect fiddling by all 3 parties in the dispute (Oktava Tula, Andrew S.McKay/Oktava Ltd. and the Chinese), all of them using parts from various sources and selling variations of the mics behind each other's backs.  In any case, in my usage the ASM MC012s and the non-ASM MC012s from that period (not the more obvious fakes) sound as much the same as any two absolutely identical MC012s I've ever used (many), AND (getting back to the topic of the thread) are a great value, no matter who made them.  For those interested in buying NEW Oktavas, this issue seems to be settled.  For those buying used, make sure to see the mic or a pic first, consult the voluminous correspondence on the subject from 2005 and then see if you like the sound.

Here's the website w/ the pix, and a link to the 100+ post thread on this topic at the time: some of the conclusions made here are disputed.  Whatever, they are a really good mic for the money, esp. if you can get them used for around $100.

http://recordinghacks.com/fake-oktava-mk-012-photos/

phil p

I have just received my latest Oktava microphone, again from the SoundRoom (where I have purchased 3 other Oktavas over the years). This one is the "Bello Nero" model (black) with hyper-cardioid capsule and -10db pad. I am very pleased with my purchase and I appreciate the QC and support provided by the good people at the SoundRoom.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

post-1-130815090832_thumb.jpg

I have just received my latest Oktava microphone, again from the SoundRoom (where I have purchased 3 other Oktavas over the years). This one is the "Bello Nero" model (black) with hyper-cardioid capsule and -10db pad. I am very pleased with my purchase and I appreciate the QC and support provided by the good people at the SoundRoom.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Nice, what purpose do you tend to use your MK-012's for Jeff?

Nice, what purpose do you tend to use your MK-012's for Jeff?

Generally, I have used the Oktavas for two situations: when I have to record dialog and gunfire, I prefer to use the $200. Oktava rather than the $1200. Schoeps; the second situation is when I run out of Schoeps microphones needed to cover a scene. The Oktava is a very good match and if I didn't already have several Schoeps microphones I would be quite happy to use it as the main microphone. I am not saying it is as good as the Schoeps, not by any means, but if one were on a very strict budget and believed in the benefits of using a very smooth, less directional microphone as the main mic, the Oktava could serve this purpose.

-  Jeff Wexler

...than the $1200. Schoeps...

You haven't bought a Schoeps for a good while, have you, Jeff? <g> 

Add about $500 to that.

The Oktavas are definitely a bargain.  I have four that were hand selected and have the Scott Dorsey modifications.

When I compare the Oktavas against Schoeps in the studio I'm impressed how close they sound -- the cardioid Oktava more than the hypercardioid.  However, when I've deployed them together on set, I find I strongly prefer the Schoeps, probably due largely to the amazing off-axis smoothness that the Schoeps achieves.  So I carry more than one Schoeps and just use the Oktava as a "stunt double" for a Schoeps.

John B., CAS

Not TRUE

All ASM are fake.

As others have correctly stated, this is false. There are a lot of authentic Russian Oktava mics marked A.S.M. However, there are also Chinese made "fakes" that are marked A.S.M., so that is not an indicator of authenticity.

A.S.M. was a British company that handled distribution for Oktava. They're also responsible for the unauthorized Chinese made versions of the MK012. However, countless MK012's sold through Guitar Center and Musician's Friend over many years were made in Russia, distributed by A.S.M., and so marked. I've had them in my hands.

Do you own a Microtech Gefell M300? If so, do you use use it in production? In what way?

Just curious. It's an excellent mic. I have one; acquired years ago for recording acoustic guitar.

• 1 year later...

An MK-012 without Rycote InVision mounts and no low cut = near unusable microphone IMHO. Even muscles moving in my fingers come through the pole, and I'm talking millimeter twitches that are impossible to stop.

Add the InVision mounts (I use the InVision 7, which has adjustable clip positions), a low cut of between 40-90Hz and you're in business.

I also had Michael Joly upgrade mine at OktavaModShop and I think it was worth every penny. Besides, the industry veterans on this site are vouching for this mic, so what other information could you need if you're on the fence? The price point is just insane.

Technical Note:

Someone mentioned a metal piece came loose in their mic. This happened to me and I know now what it was. These mics have three (3) screws that mount the 'tail' portion or 'connector' portion of the mic to the hollow body, which then mounts to the capsule. These screws do not loosen by falling OUT, they loosen by falling INTO the mic.

So... If any of you ever attempt to take your mic apart, please note that the screws (all three) screw IN to take the mic apart. The OUT position of the screws feeds the screws into the holes in the mic body where the body meets the connector portion of the mic (please excuse my terminology, or lack thereof). So there are three main pieces to this mic 1.) The capsule 2.) The mic body/exterior tube and 3.) The connector or 'tail' portion of the mic with the XLR connection and circuit board all attached, once the mic comes apart.

I would even say it is worth checking the tension of these screws every now and then to ensure that they do not fall into the mic. However, I did in fact have this happen, and the sounds through my headphones were enough to nearly stop my heart. Static and distortion even a bad sci-fi sound designer would have trouble making up spewed through my headphones and I nearly dropped the boom to get the cans off my head when it happened. I decided I would send the mic in for an upgrade with OktavaMod, and the byproduct of that is that Michael does a 'courtesy fix' to the mics he mods, so for me it was a two-birds kind of deal and it worked out great.

Also, Michael Joly from OktavaMod wont upgrade any mics that have been "worked on" by you. So if you are planning an upgrade, buy the mic, and then send it in to him before you get curious.

So check your screw tension and remember if you do decide to take your mic apart: BE GENTLE, as I've been told many of these mics are a very tight fit (circuit board to body interior mic) and you could easily break the circuit board if you aren't being careful.

Hmm..I sent an 012 in for mod recently but the fix (for intermittent buzz) was a separate charge.

Yeah, I'm not sure of his exact policy, but this is from an email he sent to me:

I offer an '012 repair service as a courtesy to folks who send their mics in for modificaiton.

Maybe yours required an additional part? Anyway, I hope you enjoy the mod as much as I am.

• 1 year later...