Burning Man Stream Link

Rachel Cameron

Here's a decent streaming link of Burning Man 2016. In two days will be the actual burn. 

The webcam is about 35 feet up. There's audio and some commentary from time to time. I hear an air conditioner in the DJ container, as well. There seems to be SO much more illumination now, as LED has really come quite a ways since '97. Last night looked like a carnival got scattered all over The Black Rock Desert.

Back in 1997, this was my first real sound job working under extremely adverse conditions. Dust gets into everything. The camera dept struggled daily with their BetaSP. I was able to successfully avoid sunburn too. I had an FP33 (not mine) and a Betacam breakaway cable, a humble little set up which worked wonderfully. It was easy to keep clean despite the invasive dust.

I also brought a GAF silent Super 8mm camera, some Vision 200T color neg, some K40, some E160. I captured some footage that made the cut, as well. The transfer with that grain looked vintage and dreamy.

BM '97 ruined all other music and art festivals, as all (yes all) other festivals and events sort of became somewhat 'canned' or 'stale' to me. The amount and intensity of stimuli out there outweighed anything I've ever done before. I'll never forget that experience. That was a great way to start doing sound.

The desert is beautiful. Envious of Crew and so many who work out west, and can enjoy that infinite beauty. 

Dawn is currently breaking out there. Wish I could go again. : /

http://djmag.com/news/watch-burning-man-2016-live-stream

Rachel, i am glad you had a good time.  Clearly the mis-conceptions continue-........  the original concept of the event still continues- the idea that it is all commercial and is full of people who buy their way into a preferred experience is a common fallacy.   

Thanks for sharing your experience.  

On 9/4/2016 at 8:35 PM, johngooch said:

Rachel, i am glad you had a good time.  Clearly the mis-conceptions continue-........  the original concept of the event still continues- the idea that it is all commercial and is full of people who buy their way into a preferred experience is a common fallacy.   

Thanks for sharing your experience.  

You're very welcome John,

And yes, many have little idea what the event is actually about. Especially those who never go. It's everything, but the default reality that we live in day to day.

Burning Man is neither an event for the weak-minded, the weak at heart, nor is it an event for weak in general. Corporate execs would wither out there in a few days. No one gives a crap about the FBI. And why would a high priced hooker ever leave LV to live out in that godforsaken, dirty/dusty, extremely beautiful ~ but would rather just kill you ~ place? No one uses money out there. 

When I attended, I saw no one rolling around in their own effluent. We interviewed a number of the mud people, and they were very nice. I just stuck with the boom.

The engineering feats and electronics on display are fascinating. Prankster-ism was the order of the day. Cathedrals are built and burned to the ground (by the builders). To many, it's a spiritual journey to the place.

Back in 1997, I saw a man wearing about fifty little Theramins all soldered together. His suit was all abuzz. Each Theramin had a tiny speaker. People were around him playing his suit. One of the most striking works was a guy riding about the horizon on a ten foot self-powered crucifix in a pair of construction boots. It had Forward/Reverse, Left/Right joysticks as the two nails. He said he was searching for Judas, and asked us if we've seen him around. The Black Math Forum was fascinating (and funny). The Aesthetic Meat Foundation was disgusting, but interesting. I went way around that display. I met Harrod Blank, with his art car OMYGAWD. Coincidentally, during the 2016 stream, I saw OMYGAWD down there, almost 20 years later...

This sort of thing was happening 24/7, in every direction you turned. I graduated from a fine arts school. Artists are able to work big out there. I thought I knew what fine art was. I was very wrong. My perception of art was shattered to smithereens back in 1997. It never recovered.

I can see now what they meant by our 'default reality'. And Philip, you're right about scary first jobs. I can't believe it was a paid gig.

• 4 years later...