Recording 10 Tracks, 2 hours on 688 or 644

Herbert Verdino

Hi, I am looking for a solution to record up to 10 tracks on a portable audio recorder and was thinking to use a 688 or 644. I am a little bit concerned, about the long recording time and the high numbers of tracks. Because these recorders do not have a build in hard drive and record only on SD/CF cards, I am not sure if they are capable to record such big files for such a long time, without any problems? I usually work with my Aaton Cantar X1 which records 8 tracks for several hours without any problems. But on this job, the X1 has to less recording tracks...

Do some of you have experience on recording several hours on a 6 serias recorder? I would be glad to hear some advices.

Thank you, Herbert

Hi Herbert, usually the SD machines create a new file seamlessly and automaticalls when a file size limit is reached. The size limit can be set in the menu, I'd go for 2 GB since this is what almost any computer can still handle. Of course, use a card that's large enough.

Would renting another Cantar and linking it with yours be an option?

I'd record mono files @ 4GB, and let the machine start the new file when you get to 4GB.  I've done very long shows with 14 tracks enabled with no problems.   If you have an opportunity to stop and restart during the record time then do it so you decide where the break is, but if you can't it's no problem.  The cards, if they are tested and approved, will be fine.  There isn't anything else to go wrong, unless you have a power kick-out.

2 hours ago, VM said:

I did very long show on a 788 and long show on a 688. Never had a problem except when there were not enough memory on the DD or memory card.

+1 via 664, 12 track long records w zero issues. Key to success is qualified media from the sd approved list. Stay clear of chinese fakes. I believe sandisks that are real have sandisk imprint on back of card, for example

-Ken

9 hours ago, pkautzsch said:

Hi Herbert, usually the SD machines create a new file seamlessly and automaticalls when a file size limit is reached. The size limit can be set in the menu, I'd go for 2 GB since this is what almost any computer can still handle. Of course, use a card that's large enough.

Would renting another Cantar and linking it with yours be an option?

rent an x3,  if the budget allows.  make sure you have external power available.  the autonomous battery life on internal batts is not what one is used to with the x1/x2.  with the x3,  I run with the ssd and (1) sd card in real time, (1)sd card in idle.  run all of them monophonic,  as philip mentioned.  the idle sd card could be your polyphonic files,  if post wants it for any reason. 

• 2 weeks later...