wingman?

daniel

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a nice, cost effective, option for an individual setup where networking is not required. Will certainly make metadata input easier. Looking forward to it! Ambient and TCS options are more expensive but obviously do more when it comes to full timecode transmission, metadata collection, and camera integration. Still, if control from your phone is all you need/want, this is perfect! Very similar I think to the Ambient Beetle which never materialized for the 6 series. As I understand it though, versus WiFi, Bluetooth is not fast enough for the TC transmission to be frame accurate so the TC seen on the phone will be just a reference.

9 hours ago, daniel said:

I like the right angle offset adapter.

Quick release boom mounts for iphones (for transport control and metering on the pole and metadata entry in the hand)?

I really like it, too. The whole thing, didn't see it coming after Ambient and TCS released their really expensive stuff, which I really do not need. For the iPhone on the boom, I thought of one of those things which runners use for their phones on their arms. Those are probably velcroed. Or a bike mount might work well, too. And it would be kind of quick release. Now just add wireless headphones and you can leave your bag somehwere on a table nearby or whatever and just record and monitor levels and so on on your phone right on your boom. I'm quite thrilles about that actually - if it works better than CL-Wifi, which for me never really worked well at all

1 hour ago, daniel said:

ipod touch is pretty cheap and you can still mail reports (from a wifi zone).

Same goes for a wifi iPad, either refurbished or used, and both can be tethered to any mobile phone to connect to the web.

Best regards,

Jim

Edited by Jim Gilchrist
autocorrect hijinks

Makes sense if you use the CL12 from time to time like me. It frees you from the neccessarity to position the 633/664 in front of the CL12 (only to see the meters) which is not practical at all.

I'm not an Apple fan too. I would buy a used Ipad only for that purpose, probably without SIM slot.

19 hours ago, Glen Deakin said:

I'd love to see an Android version of the software. Don't use apple touch or iPhone or iPad. :(

An iPad mini as a purpose only machine would be a good investment. It isn't about cost, as you wrote, but about having a machine which has only duty. Get wifi version only and use hotspot from your droid device to send sound reports.

After a brief glance I didn't notice wireless mixing functionality with the app, which would be a real shame - even Zoom offers that... Which BTW, I was able to try the other day with an on-set F8 backup rig + iPad mini and was pleasantly surprised by the sound quality of the little bit bucket and quite impressed by the ease of operation with the control app.

I expect more from SD to be honest. 

Cheers,

Evan Meszaros

After a brief glance I didn't notice wireless mixing functionality with the app, which would be a real shame - even Zoom offers that... Which BTW, I was able to try the other day with an on-set F8 backup rig + iPad mini and was pleasantly surprised by the sound quality of the little bit bucket and quite impressed by the ease of operation with the control app.

I expect more from SD to be honest. 

Cheers,

Evan Meszaros

Oh I seriously hope they will never implement iPad mixing. Apart from the fact that I personally love the feel of actual controls and don't like moving my fingers across a glass pretending there are faders, there is also the issue of reliability and delay. The iPad just isn't a professional devices.

And lastly, I would only ever even consider it, if I could use two iPads: one for mixing and one for metering. Otherwise I'd have to stare down all the time. Not very ergonomical

Firmware and app available - has anyone tried using Wingman with a standard BT dongle? The price I've been quoted (£78) for the WM-Connect accessory is not a lot in the big picture if it's a special version of these BT dongles but if it's pretty much the same thing as what's already out there (which would be good for spares), why wait for the dealers to stock and sell you something we can already get on amazon etc for £5.

6 hours ago, Constantin said:

Apart from the fact that I personally love the feel of actual controls and don't like moving my fingers across a glass pretending there are faders,

You are certainly entitled to your personal opinion....

6 hours ago, Constantin said:

there is also the issue of reliability and delay. The iPad just isn't a professional devices.

... even if it's misinformed. 

I wasn't to keen on the idea until I tried it. And it worked. And I liked it. 

Just because you personally don't like something doesn't mean it should be left out of the equation for everyone else. Since wireless mixing is possible, it should also be an option for those who want it. 

Cheers,

Evan

... even if it's misinformed. 

I wasn't to keen on the idea until I tried it. And it worked. And I liked it. 

Just because you personally don't like something doesn't mean it should be left out of the equation for everyone else. Since wireless mixing is possible, it should also be an option for those who want it. 

No, of course, they shouldn't follow just my opinion, but this is a forum, exchanging opinions and ideas (and disagreeing with them) is kind of what we do here.

Likewise, yours was an opinion as well, even though you did include everyone else, that doesn't mean it's true. It's still just your opinion.

Getting back to the discussion:

My opinion is not misinformed, I did use an iPad for mixing before, and I didn't like, partly because of the delay I experienced.

Besides, in my opinion, I'd prefer it if SD wouldn't divert resources for this

My .02...

I like less "stuff" to power and use in the workflow chain, not more... A smaller ,  tighter more compact cart ... not larger with more mounts and items hanging off of it...Another unit to mount, power, and hope it works properly..I personally would still be drawn to staring at the SD 688 screen to confirm it is actually rolling and stopping.. trusting the secondary device alone would be nerve-racking a bit.. finding out for whatever reason the 688 didn't roll would be horrid.. 

Further, Bluetooth and other wireless connections can be fickle... I don't really enjoy fickle..

I am interested, but can't get past this feeling... if the real issue is entering data and seeing the screen, My CL-12 unit with the keyboard already does this.. with an already there albeit smaller screen.

Every once and a while, less seems more..

I applaud SD and they're constant striving for "better" in every regard... For some this is a welcome and appreciated addition...