Line Audio Omnis

mikevarela

Line Audio OM-1s and CM-3s are some of my favourite mics for Classical recording and live sound regardless of their price (and I have Sennheiser, Schoeps et al), but for the specific purpose the OP is asking about, they have plusses and minuses. The thing that makes them so good as a classical music 'spot' or close mic is a certain mellowness to their transient response that makes them sound a touch less "too close" then they physically are to an instrument. This can be very useful for spot SFX with nasty metallic transients that would be overpowering if recorded with a similar Sennheiser 80x0 series mic. Vehicle recording, for example . Their downside for very quiet nature ambiences is their really low output compared to similar mics. As Jacob said above, you need a fair bit more preamp gain on them (though their self-noise isn't that bad) and so need something with really good preamps in that situation.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2016 at 11:03 AM, Philip Perkins said:

Listen to this: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remote-possibilities-acoustic-music-location-recording/644759-cm3-really-good-16.html scroll about halfway down to a post by "unqlenol", a recording of Thomas Tallis' "If Ye Love Me".  Sold me on Line Audio.

Stunning! Wallet opening...