Mixing from a Follow Van, Safari Trip

Michael Wynne

Got an interesting gig doing some car work tomorrow, mixing from follow van following/leading picture car. LPDA's Shark Fins pointing at picture car feeding a PSC six pack. One of the receivers is a SRB & other SRC so it will be cool to see any performance differences. I have redundant whip receivers and recorder hiding in picture car TC locked for safety also feeding a pix240 a 2 mix for client playback. Fortunately it's only two talents, so I should be safe delivering a LR mix in the unattended picture car recorder. Just need to decide whether I like my cubs or wires for that. With seat belts on my hunch is cub's all day. Fortunately they gave me a audio utility for rigging and mic'ing the car and talent. They asked for comteks, but I would have preferred a playback speaker in the follow van, but at least the rental works out better that way since they want eight. Video assist says they told him no rigging on exterior of follow van because of animals ( some kind of fabricated safari adventure ) which is a concern for me, I'm going to have to negotiate something to reach that picture car, I'm convinced I'll need those receiver antennas outside that van to pick up that picture car.

IMG_3942.jpg

Interesting gig.  On a sidenote, how are you liking the PSC six pack?  I haven't been able to find too many people's opinions about them online.  I have two SRB's + an SD633 while contemplating on getting a new SRC as well so I'm thinking it might be a nice solution to my bag.

51 minutes ago, codyman said:

Interesting gig.  On a sidenote, how are you liking the PSC six pack?  I haven't been able to find too many people's opinions about them online.  I have two SRB's + an SD633 while contemplating on getting a new SRC as well so I'm thinking it might be a nice solution to my bag.

I'm renting the 6 pack from another mixer and it's my first time using it .  So I don't have much experience with it/. But the hardware feels super solid and fits in a bag great.  I did do a range test with a SRB and it was as good as my venue with VRT's.  It was quite impressive actually

Today went great, so I was successfully able to negotiate my Shark Fins to the exterior roof of the follow van with the help of some grip magnets & a couple cardelini clamps.  Range was excellent utilizing the PSC six pack & SR combo.  One of the more exciting parts of the day was watching the difference in RF performance between the SRB & SRC receivers ). It was quite noticeable and it was a whole lot of fun to compare them side by side in a working environment such as a self drive / follow van mix situation.  I know most guys are probably SL6 these days, but that PSC six pack is rock solid. 

I've done a lot of follow van work with shark fins pointing out the front window. Works well, although not quite as good, I imagine. The last time they went on top of the van, the actors suddenly decided 60mph was a good idea. One antenna popped off mount and flapped against the side of the van dangling from its cable. Not great. Actors!

One of the more exciting parts of the day was watching the difference in RF performance between the SRB & SRC receivers ). It was quite noticeable and it was a whole lot of fun to compare them side by side in a working environment such as a self drive / follow van mix situation.  

What were the noticeable differences?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

On September 15, 2016 at 9:34 AM, mulluysavage said:

What were the noticeable differences?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Michael Wynne said:

Yes. there was noticeable RF performance differences between the SRB & SRC.    Here's a video I took of them both side to side.  Full disclosure, they were different blocks & the SRB was receiving SMV talent transmitters clipped on outside of waist belt & SRC transmitters were also receiving SMV's under visors with cubs.   So that may account for some of what your seeing,

11 minutes ago, Wandering Ear said:

I'd bet the difference you are seeing has nothing to do with the receivers and everything to do with transmitter placement.  Comparing a tx in a visor to a tx on a belt is always going to give you very different results.

I agree it's entirely possible , but I'd say the difference Is probably a bit more then nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried this once on a drama, following two actors but varying distance plus ignition noise defeated me.

All vehicle rigs since, when I cannot be in the vehicle, I put the recorder in the vehicle set levels on a static rehearsal

record iso tracks plus a bash mix and for the takes press the button and go grab a coffee!

mike

13 hours ago, mikewest said:

Tried this once on a drama, following two actors but varying distance plus ignition noise defeated me.

All vehicle rigs since, when I cannot be in the vehicle, I put the recorder in the vehicle set levels on a static rehearsal

record iso tracks plus a bash mix and for the takes press the button and go grab a coffee!

mike

Yes - "clicky" interference from some engines' electrical system is unfortunate. When that happens, the antennas definitely need to go on the roof. If I am not attached to the vehicle, I am more and more doing the same as you. Recorder in the trunk and hope all is well. It always has been.

Robert

Fortunately they paid for a 2nd kit rental per my reco , and I also had a bag recorder TC locked and matching receivers in trunk of car.   There were moments when I was unable to get out of the follow vehicle ( because of the wildlife rules & impatient director ) to switch antenna orientation when we went from following to leading where I know the trunk audio would be there only option in post as drop outs would then occur.