MK8+CMC vs CCM8

HenriqueORB

Hi,

for now my mic collection is basically limited to a cmit5 ..

and after I rent a ccm8 to combine a ms with CMIT for a job I get in love with the sound..

so I wanna buy one, mostly for booming and sometimes on tripod.

my mic wishlist in long term is in constant changing, but consists in: 2x cmc6; cmcxt(for sfx downing high sample rate purpose) mk41 2x mk4 and a schoeps fig.8 but sadly will be a slowly acquisition.. I need to evolve in other gear too..

but the point of this question is Should I buy a CCM8 or a mk8 with cmc6??

I know it's personal decision but maybe you can highlight some pros and cons versus one another that I didn't know..

CCM8

PROS:

1.very practical and lightweight for booming on ms setup.

MK8+CCM6

PROS:

1. after I can buy 1x cmc6 with 2x mk4 instead of a stereo kit 2x cmc6 with 2x mk4.

2. in future if I buy a cmcxt to use it with a mk4 or mk41 I could buy another cmcxt to use with mk8 and make a ms with high frequencies..

CONS:

1. not so practical and lightweight as CCM8, and every weight plus gets heavier with time when booming.

Basically the pros of MK8 are related with future acquisition, and as I said earlier my wishlist is always in constant changing, mostly the priorities.. ( I really don't know if I really will buy a cmctx.. and if I buy it, if it's make sense to use a cmcxt for MS.. or how should result if I use cmcxt in a MS but only on Mid mic ( ex: cmcxt+mk4or41 with ccm8)

sorry I end up having several questions in this doubt.

Do you have any experience with CMCxt? and CMCxt in MS?

Do you have a MK8? why didn't you buy a CCM8? or do you have a CCM8? any regrets of buying mk8 instead?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Best Regards,

Henrique

2 hours ago, HenriqueORB said:

my mic wishlist in long term is in constant changing, but consists in: 2x cmc6; cmcxt(for sfx downing high sample rate porpoise)

I don't think I'd really like to risk a CMCXT for recording that porpoise - something more like a DPA 8011 might be more suited?  SORRY SORRY! I couldn't resist, and had to get that one in first!

But - correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the extra HF response with the XT only came from front address capsules so the MK8 (or any side address capsules including ANY Schoeps fig 8. ) will only have the normal response?

Whilst I'm at it I'll ask (and other Schoeps fig 8 users here) if you might also consider the MK6 capsule? Switchable between omni cardioid and figure 8 

It doesn't answer your question I know - I have not compared the three capsules / mics.

Jez

I have an MK8, along with assorted other Schoeps capsules and 4 CMC6 bodies, but I also have four KC5 extension cables, so I can make a reasonably low profile M/S pair if I need to. A CCM8 just means that you have a CCM8, whereas a CMC & MK8 means that you have many other possibilities.

Regards,

John

1 hour ago, Wandering Ear said:

I find my CCM8 to be much more sensitive to handling noise.  If you can, I'd run a CMC6+MK8, because of handling noise and flexibility.  If you need small and light, then the CCM8 would be the right choice.

what suspension do you use with ccm8?

CCM = one trick pony, but compact. Bought a CCM 41 for booming in low ceiling locations, but it gets used whenever a 41 is the right mic. Boom ops love its low weight.

CMC = versatile in theory, but in practice I have 6 MKs that stay on 6 CMCs. When small size isn't required, this is the same sound for less money.

Suspensions: standard INV models work well for us. No handling noise issues. I only wish there was a right angle Lemo connector for the CCM, since the length of connector and cable "bow" makes the whole setup nearly as long as a KM150 with right-angle XLR.

I don't use a fig-8 on its own often for booming. Usually too much noise getting into the rear lobe.

Buy the mic according to your needs now. Who knows what you requirements will be some time later. I would highly recommend the CCM8. It's lighter and smaller, is easier to mount and I personally believe that a CMIT and a CMK41 in a Rycote 4 kit (as an example) take up way too much space and wind noise reduction becomes an issue. Those two mics together really should sit in a stereo basket which is much bigger. With a CCM8 it's no problem in a size 4.
also, I like to have setups that are already set up. So my MS set stays in its Rycote at all times. Should I ever need a fig 8, I will get one then. But I have only ever needed one once for an orchestral recording, where I was running out of mic. I placed it between two Oboes, which worked surprisingly well.

One thing to keep in mind is the capsule polarization voltage of the CCM mics is much lower than that of the CMC series. This becomes an issue when pitching recordings down for sound design purposes.

I've detailed this on my blog 

http://zachgoheen.com/post/134541425703/schoepsccmpolarizationvoltage

This is indeed somewhat interesting, although I wonder if you can't just filter that fairly narrow frequency before shifting. Both of Schoeps fig 8 mics have a frequency range of up to 16kHz. So you may want to filter a lot more of whatever is above that before pitch shifting. So it's nice to be aware of it, but I wouldn't call this an issue.

18 hours ago, HenriqueORB said:

Do you have any experience with CMCxt? and CMCxt in MS?

No I don't. But make sure you know which capsule you'd want to use the XT with, as most capsules only have a published freq. response of up to 20k, the fig. 8 only of up to 16k. 

Although I don't know if the specs Schoeps publishes are with the regular CMC or how they do this...

The Immoral Mr Teas
I always think the extra HF response from the XT its for all capsules, but in fact, looking at schoeps website the graphic of freq response only exists in front address capsules.
but digging in the web there is ppl using the cmcxt with mk8, like Tim Nielsen from Skywalker Sound..
the mk6 are discontinued... 

soundmanjohn
thanks John

Wandering Ear

pkautzsch
indeed the CCM41 should be best for low ceiling situations.
"a right angle Lemo connector for the CCM" +1
hope it happens in a near future.
I only boomed fig8 when it's with other mics, like CMIT,  for MS..

Constantin

zgoheen
thanks!! I didn't know about the low voltage!! 

DanieldH
thanks

Constantin
most capsules have a published freq. response of up to 20k with the cmc6, and have also a second published freq response with the cmc 6 xt. it's written in the graphics legend.
ex:
http://www.schoeps.de/en/products/mk4/graphics

Cloud Wang

thank you all for the fast reply with good info. 

I ordered the CCM8..
I can use it in rycote kit4 with CMIT. and it's very light and practice for booming a ms setup.

and if later I buy a 41 should be the ccm41 because it's a plus for low ceiling situations.. 

it's fu*ks a little the idea of down pitch high freq of cmc6xt.. but for for now I think it is the option that I most need.

Best Regards,
Henrique