super hot levels on lectro tx

gkim

Hi guys, 

I'm on a feature and have run across a strange problem. I'm using lectro smqv tx and dual srb receivers into a 633. 

-All receivers are set to +5
-All 633 channels receiving lavs are set to line
-All receivers are using ta3 to ta3 connectors 
-All receivers are using the same cos-11 lavs
-All tx have audio levels set to 23 (for testing purposes)

The problem is that 2 tx, set at audio levels of 23 with normal dialog sound normal, and show up on the 633 meters around 0. Fine. 

The other 2 tx, also set to audio levels of 23, with normal dialog are super hot. They're clipping. I had to turn them down to 8. 
I've tried the following troubleshooting:

-ensuring all cables are wired for line level
-switching mics (they are all the same)
-rebooting 633

It seems like a tx issue. They are all the same smqv, same lav mics but 2 are fine at 23, and the other 2 are hot as hell. Can't figure out what I'm missing. Any help would be mucho appreciated. 

Thx for the reply!

Clipping happens at tx. Actor was yelling across street in scene, turned down tx to 8, and i could still hear it. It was ok on the 633 meters (bouncing around 0). 

Concerns:

1. Dropping rx level below +5 isn't line anymore and degrades signal

2. Improper gain staging. 

Has this happened to you before?

Possibly mic wiring. Check your COS11 wiring. It could be the 2 hot ones are wired for non servo bias inputs. Does the problem move with those particular mic heads? ie if you use the 2 hot ones in the other transmitters, do they run hot on those as well?

If you're not using the mic heads in older transmitters that are non servo, the best wiring is SERVO ONLY wiring scheme. 

See Lectro website for diagrams. 

Check your audio meters on the receivers - are they indicating a big difference?  From 23 to 8 is a 15dB difference - that would definitely show on the receiver meters.  What are the LED indicators on the transmitters showing? - The hot ones (if the problem is in the transmitters) should show vastly different LED action - if the transmitter LEDS are behaving the same and the receiver modulation meters are acting similar, the problem lies down stream.

9 hours ago, BWilson said:

Also, are the hot mic's possibly going into inputs 4-6 on the 633? You may have the input gain wound up, which can be done in the ISO menu for each input.

8 hours ago, gkim said:

Crap- right. Forgot how to adjust trim on those. 

Seems from the response of gkim that it was indeed the (internal) gain on the line level input of the 633 (easy to overlook because the dial only adjusts the post fade).

chris