Defective Mic?

Philip Perkins

Mr Trump claims his mic was defective last night--what does he mean? How was it defective?  I didn't hear him drop out, I did hear a somewhat Dugan-y gain sharing thing happen when they talked over each other, but I didn't lose either of them in those scrums....?  The gain-sharing thing did what it was supposed to do, I thought.

My suspicion is that the FOH mixer only had his lav in the PA for the moments that Drumpf moves in close and eats the podium mic. Thus he doesn't hear himself in the room with the same proximity that he would expect. And it's probably set up for that exact reason. To protect from plosives/blowing out the mic.

IMO the lav was there for the broadcast mix only to catch the off-mic exchanges when the candidates aren't at their podium and maybe as a backup. It looks like a MKE-2 and the FOH guy would only use that as a last resort because it's an Omni. I have to do broadcast sound reinforcements gigs with MKE-2s all the time and aside from gain-before feedback issues you'd hear a lot more ambience/ PA wash than you heard during the debate. I believe we heard the podium mics only, both in the house as well as on the air. 

You could definitely be right. Or the lavs could be cardioids and or/ the broadcast mixer clamped down on the cedar pretty hard.

19 hours ago, Werner Althaus said:

IMO the lav was there for the broadcast mix only to catch the off-mic exchanges when the candidates aren't at their podium and maybe as a backup. It looks like a MKE-2 and the FOH guy would only use that as a last resort because it's an Omni. I have to do broadcast sound reinforcements gigs with MKE-2s all the time and aside from gain-before feedback issues you'd hear a lot more ambience/ PA wash than you heard during the debate. I believe we heard the podium mics only, both in the house as well as on the air. 

i am always wary of anything the daily mail prints.

there are 3 stories that have appeared in their paper that i was involved in, and their story of events was significantly different from what actually happened.

haven't clicked the link though due to my above bias.

2 hours ago, Mirror said:

Oh, I thought this had already descended past that point and into "bash the candidate territory". Did I misinterpret? But, what difference at this point does it make?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Lfd1aB9YI

Please watch this Mirror. I also don't like Hillary, but Trump is on another level. 

The Daily Mail is currently being sued by Melania Trump for suggesting she was an illegal immigrant and a sex-worker. Could there possibly be a connection here?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/sep/01/melania-trump-daily-mail-lawsuit

And as Rich says, the paper doesn't exactly have a good reputation for accuracy in their stories: they went for a friend of mine in the most spectacular way with the biggest load of snide, suggestive bullsh*t I've ever read. She got a 'clarification' in a tiny paragraph a few months later, as far as I know. The editor is a foul-mouthed misogynist git whose paper regular prints pictures of teenage daughters of celebs with captions drooling over how "all grown up" they are. Pond scum, really, who's paid ten times more than the prime minister of the UK for feeding the paranoia of its prejudiced readers.

I thought the issue was the mic.

I also thought Trump was saying the next morning that the mic was picking up his breathing/sniffing too loudly, which I suppose is possible if it's seriously compressed for broadcast. His voice didn't sound squashed to me... but who knows what additional processing there was between the venue and air.

Slams of his or her sliminess don't belong in a professional forum, IMHO. You can find enough of that elsewhere... 

1 hour ago, Jay Rose said:

Slams of his or her sliminess don't belong in a professional forum, IMHO. You can find enough of that elsewhere... 

This is true.. and it is good to remember. I apologise for bringing political views to a sound forum. 

I still believe there was nothing wrong with that mic tho.. 

When Jeff relegated political discussion to its own corner of the JWS universe, the discourse here on the audio-focused arena improved dramatically.

As evidenced by previous political spewings, it's obvious that the person sharing their political wisdom is incredibly insightful and everyone who disagrees is a clueless idiot, therefore there's no point other than verbal masturbation in engaging such discussions.

Please, no matter from what branch of the political spectrum you source your Cool-Aid, for the sake of this awesome resource, let's keep it politics free!  

Show your respect for this site with no politics on the main board -- no matter how right you're convinced you are!  

I asked what the problem was, if there was one, with DT's mic.  When a soundie gets national criticism by a famous person who feels their performance was damaged by the sound rig, I want to know what happened so I can avoid making the same mistake, if there was a mistake.  This thread was not intended to have any political content at all, so those of either stripe who feel the need to vent vs the candidate they don't like should start their own threads.   If a director you didn't like complained about some aspect of your recording, you'd still deal with it as a professional, even though you didn't like them personally, right?