SD 442 lock up

Rob Shire

My workhorse SD 442 locked up after 12 years of service and all meter LEDs started pulsing. I suspected the IC chip controlling the menu functions because after tap dancing through the menu buttons the mixer seemed back, the tone oscillator worked and meters registered unity, but couldn't bring back the menu functions and as soon as I tested with mics plugged back in... back to malfunctioning, passing no audio and all LEDs pulsing. Now I can't even do that, at haven't tried and pulled out the backup (always carry a backup).

NOW SUSPECT that the memory that retains menu settings is wiped or a capacitor failure. She's on the bench this morning and I don't see any telltale signs of capacitor failure, it just has the cover off and doing a blow out and visual inspection, but this is the most logical deduction I have.

If anyone experienced a 442 death like this I would like to know what they think or if they had it repaired. This happened very suddenly and after 4 days of traveling on a short flight as plane side checked in a very well padded case. No choice in on a shuttle. Mine is old and has it's inputs soldered straight to the board, no ribbon cable connections, but it does have the waterproof coated boards.

I know about the SD bench fee and 'm most probably not going to fix unless someone can say definitively what happened and what to do. It was serviced last year... this is just more of a post mortem exercise

IMG_1406[1].MOV

Edited by Mike Rustle
Clarity

1 hour ago, Jim Feeley said:

Mark, if you don't mind sharing, what work was done (ie- general checkout and update, or also specific problem repaired) and about how much did it cost?

Jim,

I am the third owner of my 442 mixer. The 1/4" headphone jack lost the right channel so I contacted Sound Devices and requested the repair history for the unit. It had been back once since 2002, so I thought is was time for a general inspection and repair.

Sound Devices replaced the following:

Both headphone jacks, 1/8 mono mic output jack, replaced all 4 fader pots, replaced the RTN pots, replaced channel 1 TA3 direct out, replaced right limiter LED and passed all factory bench tests-confirmed unit is at production spec. Labor and parts $430.42  I hope this information will be of help.

Incredible, a 10 oz can of air and an extremely focused attention to physical  switches - power and menu button area - and she's back! ALMOST -- The first menu function for Output Limiter Threshold is no longer accessible. All other menu functions have mysteriously returned to factory default... This leads me to believe there is an issue with the power to/or IC chip that controls menu functions. In any case this is acceptable for a mixer built in 2002 and used extensively and in harsh documentary style at any given moment

You are absolutely right Glen, checked back after an hour off and 3-4 restarts to get it back to single menu diminished operation. It's a tough call to fix or not. When the 442 hiccuped, I pulled out a 302 to get through the day and ordered 663, however neither has the output flexibility of the 442. I'm feeling pretty certain it is the IC menu chip.

Last post; post-mortem: 14 year old capacitor has given out on this 2002 build 442. I tested again in morning and this makes most sense. Fiddling at length on the bench put enough current back in capacitor to function, leaving for 60-90 minutes later took a 3-4 on/offs to jump start, leaving it be overnight brought it  back to it's sorry state. Without trickle from the capacitor the menu IC lost memory of my settings. The pulsating meter LEDs were a sign of errant current which probably damaged the menu IC wiping out first order menu function. Will discuss with Sound Devices but I've slept on it, gone back through my high school knowledge of electrical engineering and this makes sense. 

My 442 is still going strong though I do want to send it in for a checkup. The ballpark that SD quoted me on was $350-$450. It also needs the newest firmware update. At the moment it won't read my lithium v-mounts correctly. But other than that it is still going strong. Never hiccuped on me yet. That being said, a friend lent me his 552 and I haven't gone back to the 442. I love having the controls on the top faceplate and the added gain on the inputs. Will never let go of the 442. It's definitely a nice sounding unit!