TASCAM Museum @ AES LA

Philip Perkins

Cool museum! Quite a few of my friends and I use Tascam 4 track portastudios to record our music at home or in the studio (they pop up for real cheap on craigslist these days)... Also have a friend who has the 8 track reel to reel Tascam 388 in his studio to record musical projects around town. Love those machines :-) 

The 80-8 was a workhorse in many small studios - either with, or without, the add-on dbx noise reduction unit.  I've modded more than one of those to handle proper +4dbu input levels via a 14db pad on each input.

...and those weren't even the early days.  Let's talk a TEAC 505.  It pulled so much of its basic design from the Ampex 300/350 series that some said the name TEAC stood for Technically Exact Ampex Copy.

My brother still has his, mine was discarded as a result of a fire earlier this year.

18 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

Those Tascam 1/2" 8 track analog machines did a whole lot of work for us back in the day, including a lot of sync concert recording and audio post.  I can't say that I miss using them but they were how we got that work affordably done in those days.

Thanks for sharing... I've only used their analog machines recreationally. It's interesting to hear your experiences with them in professional applications. 

The last of them, the TSR with built-in dbx type 1 and track 8 setup for recording and playing back LTC worked really well, never an issue.  The little resolver they sold to work with it worked very well too, and was very reasonably priced.  It was very forgiving of TC hiccups or dropouts--would "flywheel" over most of them without the machine "wowing".  We did a lot of mixes with ours.