Shure U874 active antenna... Any users?

Derek H

So this LPDA "shark fin" style amplified antenna with switchable gain settings is about half the price of the other usual suspects in the active antenna department. 

Is this a build quality difference situation or more of a Shure can just produce electronics cheaper than the smaller guys situation?

Here's a link: http://www.shure.com/americas/products/accessories/wireless-systems/wireless-systems-antennas/ua874-active-directional-antenna

I use a pair of them. Functionally they perform well. Great range with my wireless and they have been reliable. I like the active power switch for the amplifier right on the under side of the rf amp, makes it easy to add gain when you run the antennas out and take it off when they go back on the cart. Compared to the lectro's they seem to be use less fibregalss (if that is what the frame of the antenna is made of) and consequently wobble a lot during cart moves when the stay on the mast. Also, they are not vented so they are prone to getting blown around in the wind but for the price they are a great pair of antennas.

@Derek H I felt like they were very durable. I use the traditional PSC passive fins on my cart so I'm used to the wind susceptibility that is inherent with any unvented antenna. Unfortunately without being able to compare my own antennae to these in the same location I cannot say wether or not they worked better or not. But I do recall not having any range issues, even with a couple brick walls between myself and the talent.