mixer/boom op to work on a shoot for 3 weeks in November: LA

Hi there,

I'm looking for a mixer and a boom op to work on a shoot for 3 weeks in November in LA (No difficult locations, all indoors: dialogues between 4/5 people) . This is a mid/low budget horror film not for the faint hearted. Please PM if you can recommend anyone or want to send a CV.

Can you please define "mid/low budget"? Los Angeles is VERY busy at the moment, and I am sure members would be keen to know what that means. To me, a 3 week schedule indicates something below $1M, which is a very low budget film. If you are above $1M, you will likely need to contact the IATSE before you start trying to shoot in Los Angeles. If you find a non union crew, and they suspect you have more than $1M, you will likely get a visit from the IATSE to organise your show and make it a union shoot. If you are below $1M, you are NOT mid/low budget, so you should be forthcoming as to how much you have to spend on a sound crew and gear.

Is this a reincarnation of the post from March 2013, or is this a new project? Those responders might still be keen.

This is not meant to be a mean post, just laying out some facts if you or your colleagues are planning to produce a film in LA.

With all due respect, RPSharman, we'd welcome more "modest" budget films like this in our area. Buffalo has fantastic locations and a solid talent pool. So "ehoff" if you're serious contact the Buffalo Film Office, there's a 40% credit, and they'll roll out the red carpet. A good mixer, gear, and experienced boom op would cost 15k and you'd get nearly half of it back through tax credits.

Thanks for the interest

@RPSharman

“Is this a reincarnation of the post from March 2013, or is this a new project?

This is a different film, same production company. A known member of this forum was hired for the previous job. Unfortunately, he’s unavailable on those dates

I’m not a part of the production and cannot answer the big budget questions. 

What I can tell you is that it’s not a Hollywood blockbuster but it’s also not a micro budget. These guys made films that are know internationaly.      

I’m passing on CV’s and IMDb links to the producers who will make up their own mind.

P.S. No one is telling you how much to charge: Just send a CV and decide a rate if you get called back.

Thanks, ehoff. I'm sure your friends have it all figured out :-)

13 hours ago, Dutch said:

With all due respect, RPSharman, we'd welcome more "modest" budget films like this in our area. Buffalo has fantastic locations and a solid talent pool. So "ehoff" if you're serious contact the Buffalo Film Office, there's a 40% credit, and they'll roll out the red carpet. A good mixer, gear, and experienced boom op would cost 15k and you'd get nearly half of it back through tax credits.

Brrrr... Buffalo in the winter  :-)

Yeah, getting ready for the cold and snow.

Starting on one of those "microscopic" budget films next week. Nice time of the year to film here!

But yes, in January I won't be able to feel my fingers and the wind will be rocking. Love those velour ear pads!