Lectro SRc field reports?

jonathan chiles

This is true, I think I remember reading that the tracking filters in the SRc are still a little wider than the 411a. 

If I recall the 11 in 411a comes from the 11MHz-wide bandpass filter that centers on your selected freq. A lot of junk can still fit within 11MHz, almost half of the scanning range on 411a. I'm sure the performance of these two units is defined by more than just tracking filters but it's great that they're included especially in a wideband product. Also good is that, unlike Zaxcom's wideband receiver, the SRc has two independent filters so you don't have to fit both freqs within the same bandpass if you don't want to.

I've read reports of walkies interfering with SRcs but sounds like it's isolated to certain walkie channels. And probably only an issue if you've got an SRc in a bag on your waist and a walkie on your hip 1 foot away. 

I switched from 3 SRb's to 3SRC's as soon as they were available.  I've run them extensively in ratio and switch mode with 2 to 6 channels (a few times with an added 4 411a's for additional tracks).  I've run them with LT's against SMQVs, SMV, SSM and the HMa.  I've run them with walkies and in super extremely RF crowded events in NYC.  I've recently inserted the Zaxcom Micplexer 2 in front of the SRC's using both whips and the RF Venue Diversity Fin Antenna.  

That all said, the SRC is a big improvement over the SRB.  The SRC handles RF mayhem about as well as the 411a. Often times the SRC outperformed the 411a in switch mode, using whips.  The power consumption on the SRC is up a bit from the SRb, still much less than the 411 per channel.  The SRC's produce noticeably more heat than the SRb.  

The wideband transmitters have been performing about the exact same as the SMQV.  I run the LT's and the SSM as my primary.  I almost always run the boom through the HMa.  The SSM with it's peak output of 50mW gets enough range and is my favorite piece of audio gear; it's just stellar.  Tuning all the wideband transmitters through infrared is extremely efficient and has seriously sped my setup processes.  

12 hours ago, joepfeil said:

[snip].... the SRC is a big improvement over the SRB.  The SRC handles RF mayhem about as well as the 411a. Often times the SRC outperformed the 411a in switch mode, using whips.  The power consumption on the SRC is up a bit from the SRb, still much less than the 411 per channel.  The SRC's produce noticeably more heat than the SRb.  [snip] 

Hi Joe,
The original SR was OK for in slot camera use but not great for multiple receiver bag use. That was the reason for the year+ long upgrade option for just the cost difference in price between the SR and SRa. The SRb was again a substantial improvement in RF performance due to improved PC board layout and other tweaking. Going forward, the SRc uses newly available RF amps running more current to improve IMD3 preformance without losing sensitivity. The SRc now has slightly better IMD3 performance than the UCR411a but does not have as narrow front end filters. With these higher power amps, the SRc uses 2.2 Watts of input power where the SRb used 1.5 Watts of input power. Compare that to the original UCR200 which was 5 Watts for a single channel. The  UCR200 was a nice hand-warmer in December, not as great in July. 
Best,
Larry F. 

• 2 weeks later...

i am afraid i have bad news to report with my src experience. there are issues present in these units. i work with a cameraman who has his own hops he likes me to use. the rate stays the same so im happy to oblige. i have used my srbs and his audio limited transmitters for years with zero issues. since 'upgrading' to the src, i am getting random rf dropouts and hits, i lost a line with talent when a hit came out of nowhere. i have gone back to the srb being my main unit and the src as number two....there is something problematic happening that is beyond my ability to solve in the src.....i am including pics below to show the difference in what the src and srb are receiving in interference in my bag setup072a41b2e6817454096ae45bd1e09b1c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jhop, do you know what frequency band that SRc is on, and how old it is? Or at least what the serial number is? There have been a number of hardware updates, and a few software updates, since we started shipping these units earlier this year. Thanks!

jhop, that is a pretty early unit. We should see it to install all the available updates. When you have time, please contact our service dept at service.repair@lectrosonics.com or 800-821-1121. Also, if you can let us know what else is going on in your bag, i.e. hop transmitters, and how you chose your frequencies for talent and hops. Thanks!

On 16/10/2016 at 5:01 PM, LarryF said:

Hi Joe,
The original SR was OK for in slot camera use but not great for multiple receiver bag use. That was the reason for the year+ long upgrade option for just the cost difference in price between the SR and SRa. The SRb was again a substantial improvement in RF performance due to improved PC board layout and other tweaking. Going forward, the SRc uses newly available RF amps running more current to improve IMD3 preformance without losing sensitivity. The SRc now has slightly better IMD3 performance than the UCR411a but does not have as narrow front end filters. With these higher power amps, the SRc uses 2.2 Watts of input power where the SRb used 1.5 Watts of input power. Compare that to the original UCR200 which was 5 Watts for a single channel. The  UCR200 was a nice hand-warmer in December, not as great in July. 
Best,
Larry F. 

Hi larry quick question if i may..in theory could you run more tx in a smaller freq space ie example ch38 in uk with an SRC than with a SRB..this is in Switch mode..thanks..richard.

The entire ch 38 will fit inside the front end flters of both models. And the first and second IF filters are the same. All this leaves is the somewhat better amps in the SRc (higher curent, remember). The SRc would have a tiny edge. My guess is you wouldn't find a real difference.

Best, Lef 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I'm getting bad results from my two SRC's (A1 & C1).

i got bad units from the first batch, which have been replaced, but still I'm not happy with the performance of the new ones.

When testing range limits of the C1 in a clear environment versus a B24 411 in the same freq, the results were very similar, but I found in real situations very unstable RF signal and random dropouts.

i have been getting random drops or RF noise even in interior locations at 3-4 meter distance with a clean scan. This happened with whips quite few times , so yesterday I moved to dipoles in the bag trough a PSC RF multi, with poor results too.

In the video you can see a short example of the issues yesterday, the fourth channel (SRC C1, channel 2) is unstable at the beginning of the video without any reason (I got some hits on this channel during the interview) after it gets to full RF signal again. The talent is the old man in the table (no more than 4 meters)

IMG_2818.MOV

There was a long thread on the Australian Sound Recordists and Boom Operators FB page describing a similar problem with the SRC as pictured above. The Original Poster made many videos from his tests, experimenting with the anomaly. It was fascinating and very sad to watch. Perhaps there was a 'bad' early batch?

Diego, best bet to troubleshoot your problems is send us your list of frequencies (and that's for EVERYTHING RF) plus your location - sounds like you are hitting a local interference source but the only way to tell is with a full blown coordination.  You can send me the list here at the plant

(Gordon@lectrosonics.com)

and we'll run it through the computers.  Send the serial numbers of your units as well so we can check for any updates you might need.

Gordon

I did experience  a walkie interferring with my SRC in A block. The walkie was in the 470 mhz range and at my cart. I accidentally keyed it and it killed the SRC. My mistake totally. Lesson learned. I find that SRc overall is a good receiver and I also like the LMbs and LT transmitters as well. I plan on adding B block soon.

Diego, I just checked with service - it looks like they and your dealer in Spain (who is an authorized service center) are on already on top of this - they have some good theories on the nature of your units problems (lots of information flying back and forth).  Sounds like the entire team is on it now!  We will get it resolved.

• 1 month later...

Yesterday i had some problems also with my SRC B1 in switch mode. I had some random drops and heavy RF noise even in interior. I had only my SRC (both frequencies where very separated), a G3 in range A and ifb lectrosonics on block 28. My scans wheren't so clear, but o found some clear frecuencies, some times it was ok, o suddenly some heavy intereferences happended. I had luck that when talent where speaking it didn't happened, i was no more than 3 meter from talents. I had tested my SRC on Ratio mode and haven't had any problems. I will continue to test them in switch mode to know if the problems persist or if it was only Rf vudu. Im located in barcelona, spain, as Diego. Haven't contact my dealer yet but if the problem persist, will contact them.