Android vs Iphone. Samsung s5.

chrisyking

As a user of a Samsung s5 there are a few features I find very useful:

1) You can pull out the battery and put a new one in, which means you can always have one on charge and one in the phone, or if you're in the jungle you can bring a handful of 10 quid batteries with you.

2) With a short adapter cabe you can plug any USB device into the phone, so you can put the SD card from your 633 into a card reader and plug it straight into the phone, and convert, send or email files right from the card. You can also convert them to mp3 first on the phone.

3) You can play both video and audio files straight from an sd or cf card using VLC and the above adapter.

4) Using a toshiba flash air you don't even need to plug in the card, though this is slow...

Just wondering, can you plug sd cards into an iphone? How is the iphone for copy protection? I used to own an iphone, but the limitations were a real problem. Has this improved? Are there workarounds? Is the iphone still the best phone for media professionals?

Chris

I'm an Android phone guy but thinking of moving to iPhone.

Yes, I like that Android actually allows you to do basic computing tasks like file browsing and management. I know this is where the iPhone would irritate me to no end with its everything in the right app, you can't be trusted to manage your own files approach. It's insulting on a $700 device that I can't plug the thing into a desktop, transfer some files and then manage them directly without using iCloud or some other nonsense. 

I do think iPhone is more stable. Less glitchy. Android phone manufacturers also seem to stop giving a shit if your hardware still works with newer software after the 2 year mark is up. I hate having perfectly good hardware made useless by software updates that only cater to the latest greatest hardware.

I guess that last point is also true of Apple iOS products. Case in point I have an older iPad that is essentially a brick due to software updates killing it's mojo.

As frothing at the mouth consumers of the latest tech gadgets I guess we only have ourselves to blame.

Chrissy if your Samsung explodes on you and you want to check out another Android try Motorola. Good hardware, great battery life, cleaner OS. More of a pure Android build without all the silly clutter that Samsung and HTC install on their phones.

I guess that last point is also true of Apple iOS products. Case in point I have an older iPad that is essentially a brick due to software updates killing it's mojo.

This is only true if you do the updates which you don't have to do, although some apps will stop working after a while, but that is the fault of the app maker, not apple. I have a 3GS around, which I use a an ipod and backup phone (I am a backup junkie), and it works just fine.

I think android phones make a lot of sense for the reasons Chris lists above. One of the reasons I am sticking with my iPhone is that I believe that it is safer and more secure than Android phones. I am not talking about data collection. I am sure that both Google and Apple are very good at it. But on one hand, Apple still doesn't allow full access to the phone for third-party apps. And acces to the phone when stolen is more difficult as is hacking into it. Virusses, too, are practically unheard of on the iphone

File management (or lack there of) is the number one reason I switched to Android a while back, and have never regretted it.  I'm on my third Motorola, and it's served me incredibly well as a business tool.

My biggest complaint is how quickly Motorola drops support for their current devices.  Less than two years and the latest Android upgrade won't be offered for my current phone.

As a Mac user  and S5 owner, it took me a bit to learn the secret handshake necessary to transfer files from the S5 to the Mac. I have to do that each time I want to start a transfer session. Just one more thing to remember. It's be nice if it was plug and play.

4 hours ago, Ty Ford said:

As a Mac user  and S5 owner, it took me a bit to learn the secret handshake necessary to transfer files from the S5 to the Mac. I have to do that each time I want to start a transfer session. Just one more thing to remember. It's be nice if it was plug and play.

Totally agree, it would be nice if it was plug and play.  I was very disappointed when google removed the ability to mount the phone as an HD (USB Mass Storage), replacing it with MTP, which still has little to no support on the Mac.  The android file transfer program is very basic and lacking a lot.  IMO neither Android File Transfer nor ITunes is a good solution for managing files on the phone. 

I just got an iPhone 7, which I'm mostly happy with, a few bugs here and there but the rolling updates have fixed most issues.

The new Google Pixel looks very promising, particularly because it won't be loaded with bloat software that phone manufacturers and carriers like to shove down your throats when you buy their phones. Too bad they announced it after I got my iPhone 7 :/

I also just got the iPhone 7, it replaced an iPhone 4S that reached software EOL this fall. But after years of hard use it was ready to be replaced new software or not.

My whole house is apple. Air Tunes speakers, appleTV, iphones, ipads, and macbooks. so staying in the eco system was the main reason for my update. But the big reason I've stuck with apple for the past 15 years is that their stuff lasts a long time. 5 years with the iphone 4s, 5 1/2 years on my laptop, 4 years on the ipad mini. With any PC or android phone I feel like they have 2 year clock and they are totally done when it runs out 

This is true, still using a 2007 iMac and 09 MacBook pro (replaced battery). Unfortunately neither supports MacOS Sierra but I'm sure they'll still provide security updates for El Capitan for a few years.

Currently typing this on an almost 2-year old Droid Turbo which has been a great phone and the hardware is still perfectly fine but Google has shot it in the foot with the last software update and now it randomly restarts and hangs. Usually right when I need it to GPS me to set... 

• 5 weeks later...