DIY Electret

Lucas

I did something similar.

I built two capsules (with panasonic transducers, don´t remember the model) with intended low sensibility for an specific use where I had to manage high sound level with lots of peaks. I made it for plugin in a lectro wireless system.

they did their job, a take with a close point of view (for sound definition) perfect to mix with the boom.

notice that this transducers needs to be powered, I think it´s called "5v plug-in power".

I made a couple of mics awhile ago with the Panasonic omni capsules and based on this article: 

http://tapeop.com/tutorials/16/how-build-microphone/

I built them right into the end of an XLR connector. They work fine - it's nice that they're so small. I think they sound similar to a lot of the electret condensers built into recorders such as the Zoom H4n or Tascam DR-100. That is to say, not bad, definitely usable, but not really something I would choose to use if there were other options available. 

It was a fun project to play with and learn with though!

Mike

10 hours ago, Mobilemike said:

I built them right into the end of an XLR connector. 

No powering?

I didn't try that, thougth it wont work.

I'm agree, they are like most of the capsules mounted in the devices mentioned. They worked for me in that case.

When I did it I thought about how to isolate the capsule in order to put it underwater and listen what happens and how it works. (Never did it already)  I had tried it before with a piezo and it didn't work very well.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...