TASCAM HS-P82 V2.00 Firmware released

Tom Duffy

http://tascam.com/news/display/12584/

http://filmtvsound.com/index.php/recorders/427-tascam-releases-new-firmware-for-hs-p82

With years of user feedback, we updated the HS-P82 firmware to make it even more useful for film and TV production work.

Metadata is now in the BEXT chunk, as well as the iXML chunk.  This removes all reason for complaints about lack of Metadata info in the legacy Avid Media Composer workflows.  More data in the iXML chunk to be able to check what version of firmware the recorder was using when file was created.

We fixed all the confusing ways that Mirroring used to work.  Now you get an identical directory structure and files on both cards, and metadata edits propagate to the mirrored card as well    My excuse for the way it used to behave is, we originally believed this feature needed to be a safety data dump, i.e. once the data touched that second card, we'd never rewrite or delete those files, so you'd know it couldn't be corrupted or accidentally lost, and save you from the dreaded "I didn't get all the files" phone call..   Users told us that they needed duplicate files at the end of the day.

Easier renaming when recording mix and isos - renaming the take propagates the name to the stereo mix file as well.

Safety REC stop mode - need to press and hold STOP > 2 secs to interrupt a recording.  Selectable.

Easier to toggle the Timecode display mode on the home screen - now a pop down menu instead of toggling through all the choices each time - and we added a mode to always see the TImecode generator (Previously when stopped, the TC display would show the last recorded take's head TC)

Easier access to Circle Take and Rename Take from the home screen.   Shortcut keys from a keyboard for these added as well.

Even though you can change the bit depth (16 or 24) anytime during a project, we added this setting to the Create Project screens as well, so you get to check it and not forget it.

AES/EBU inputs now accept Consumer S/PDIF encoded data as well as Pro  (you'll still need some way to convert unbalanced to balanced though)

Other minor bug fixes.

The HS-P82 continues to be highly regarded for its audio quality, we have many dedicated users recording classical and Jazz who won't use anything else on location and in their studios.

Don't forget the RC-F82 mix controller for complete Cart Based TV and film production work-flow.

55 minutes ago, Derek H said:

Thanks for the update Tom. Is it possible to use an external slate mic on the HS-P82 without using up a main mic input? For example could the return input on the fader panel be used to route a slate to talkback and selected record tracks?

Sorry, slate is from the front panel built in microphone only.  The microphone on the RC-F82 is just for talkback through the LINEOUT 2 connections.  Changing this would impact a lot of signal processing.

1 minute ago, Derek H said:

Gotcha, also perusing the manual it seems like track name metadata is limited to 4 characters is that true?

Correct, when we started out we wanted to be able to show the names for all 8 channels and Mix on the home screen, which dictated the 4 chanracter max.  If we showed the first 4 chars of a longer name, that would potentially confuse rather than help.

Installed 2.0 tonight on my machine.  Seems to be working fine.  I like the new TC choice menu + TC Generator Display and look forward to testing out the new mirroring workflow.  Only wish there was an option to have the "mix" be recorded with the ISO's rather than as a separate file (but now I'm being picky...).  Great update, especially considering how so many manufacturers this day and age abandon hardware that works perfectly well for the sake of pushing out a newer model!

• 1 year later...

Blast from the past, maybe re-kindling this old thread :)

ANYWAY, Tom, thank you for being an amazing help over the years. Been a pleasure using the machine.

Is there any chance, or are you looking into allowing the machine to record the LR mix as part of the poly wav? or is the separate file structure set in stone?

I have a few jobs coming up where they have asked for everything as a single poly wav as part of the tech specs, even though they have received my files as they are in the past.

N