Stage box?

Richard Ragon

I've been doing a fair amount of live mixing these days.  I'm thinking of buying a stage box. 

First Choice:

Yamaha SB168-ES EtherSound Stage Box.  Seams to work with Dante, and can give me more then enough I/Os run to a stage area.  In theory all I have to do is run out an Enthernet cable, and I got "outs" for monitors and cameras, and "ins" for stage mics.

Anything I need to know about in a set up like this?   Any other Dante I/Os on the market?

Thanks for all your advice.

-Richard

I posted the wrong one then.   Tio1608-D – Dante Equipped I/O Rack is what I'm thinking of.

I want to plug it into the Dante network that I have using the o1V96i.

p.s. A side question would be, how do you adjust the gain at the plug?  I don't see any adjustments on the box?   Can I route this box to inputs on the O1V96?

Thanks

-Richard

I always thought this was a pretty nicely designed system, however I recently purchased a Yamaha QL5 and QL1 and am using the Yamaha Rio 1608-D box instead.

Tom

http://www.brikworm.co.uk/BWTraditional.html

For field work the Roland S-0808 is a great option that runs off of 12 volts!

http://www.markertek.com/product/rol-s-0808/roland-s-0808-8x8-input-output-unit?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&utm_source=google&utm_term=Product_Target&utm_campaign=Shopping+-+Pro-Audio&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=FQ2jJ6us|pcrid|74923786580|pdv|c|&gclid=CK_z84a07c8CFQwYgQod3-gGhg

Hi Richard, I use a Yamaha TIO 1608 with both my 01V96 and direct into a Sound Devices 970. They work great, and while they are cheaper than the 'premium series' RIO dante boxes from Yamaha, I've not had any concerns over Audio quality, and the fan is a lot quieter than the equivalent RIO box. The 01V96 is too old to be able to control the head amps from the surface, and of course the SD970 can't either, but Yamaha have a nice free mac/win remote control software called R-Remote available for download that you can run on whatever computer you are running Dante Controller on and controls multiple TIO and RIO stageboxes. I have it on a little cheap netbook from a second-hand store.. There's no hardware control from the box itself unfortunately... The gain controls are stepped in 1dB increments so not really adjustable mid-sentence when recording, pretty much all digital head amps are like that though. Theres a pad that switches out/in when you move gain between -17 and -18 and if you have P48 on that channel you'll get a noticeable click - just be aware. It's great to be able to take full line level in on any channel though... With your 01V96 you'll use Dante Controller to set routings but with current Yamaha consoles it has a fixed auto-setup mode for layman users, be sure to switch that off.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2018 at 4:36 PM, Tom Slate said:

Catch up to an old topic from a new member,

im running the TIO1608 from an LS9 using an MY16AUD card. Online literature suggests i can control the headamp gain from the ls9 but im unable to figure out how to do this. With “r remote” its possible.

can anyone advise please? Thanks 

Look into the dip switches on the back of the unit.  The default setting is designed for a TF-1 console to auto connect, and for me interfered with the custom setup I wanted to use on my TIO's, including having issues with the remote gain controls.  I don't have an LS9, so I can't recommend a specific setting.

Hi Tom, It is my understanding that the "AD8HR Emulation Mode" allowing console control of head-amps from older Yamaha boards is a feature of the original series of RIO stageboxes, accessed via a dip switch setting on the RIO and a setting in the MY16AUD (set using Dante Controller) as outlined in the document Wandering Ear linked to above. Unfortunately for you, it is not a feature of the TIO stagebox, and in fact I'm told it has been removed from the newer series-2 versions of the RIO boxes as well, so your only choice with a TIO or newer RIO is to use the R-Remote software. This is how I run TIOs with my 01v96 and with non-yamaha Dante gear, and one gets used to it pretty quickly.