MKH50 and UH400 Gain Issue

BAB414

Strange. I find the UH400a and the 50 gives ample gain. I use that all the time. Actually, I sometimes need the pad on the 50 to keep horror movie screams and shouty scenes from hitting the limiter. Once you turn the gain down to 9 o'clock it's either too loud or off. Actually it's the reason I am buying an HMa for the next show.

UH400 or 400a?

BTW, there is more gain with the 8060 on the same transmitter, so you might just be dealing with the mics being different in terms of output. Do you experience noise if you crank transmitter to compensate? I usually run an ordinary scene at 1 o'clock.

Check the voltage on uh.

It's 48V and UH400

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Strange. I find the UH400a and the 50 gives ample gain. I use that all the time. Actually, I sometimes need the pad on the 50 to keep horror movie screams and shouty scenes from hitting the limiter. Once you turn the gain down to 9 o'clock it's either too loud or off. Actually it's the reason I am buying an HMa for the next show.
UH400 or 400a?
BTW, there is more gain with the 8060 on the same transmitter, so you might just be dealing with the mics being different in terms of output. Do you experience noise if you crank transmitter to compensate? I usually run an ordinary scene at 1 o'clock.

There is noise and i have to crank it up significantly to get "useable" signal. Going to try with an HM and report back.

If your dc to dc converter fucked up on your uh you dont get the 48 v . if you dont have 48 the mkh wont work normaly. The cmit can work from 12 v 
Thats why you need the voltmeter 

So it's reading 44 volts.

It may be as simple as the voltage selection switch or the Phantom power switch has failed - make sure they are both in the middle position.  Rapid switching may clear some corrosion and restore functionality - exercise the switches a few times to "polish" the internal contacts.  If that doesn't clear it up, the UH400 is still supported - you can have JayCee Communications there on the east coats check it or pop it back to the mother-ship here and get it checked out.  If your serial number on the UH400 is below 213, the volume knob behaves differently than later units with most of the gain concentrated in the first half of the pot.  The last UH400 was built in June of 2004. 

The difference between the UH400 and the UH400a was a larger microprocessor that allowed us to load the emulation modes.  The UH400 just didn't have enough memory.  Otherwise, they were the same.