New Betso Wireless Timecode

codyman

• 2 months later...

I got to play with the TCX-2 while at a Sound mixer mixer in Maryland today (thanks to Nick Huston for bringing them and a bunch of other fun stuff down from Gotham in NYC). They're even smaller than a Tentacle (but a little bit heavier), have a nice big front display so you can check timecode. Pretty cool little units. 

54 minutes ago, Rifthead said:

I got to play with the TCX-2 while at a Sound mixer mixer in Maryland today (thanks to Nick Huston for bringing them and a bunch of other fun stuff down from Gotham in NYC). They're even smaller than a Tentacle (but a little bit heavier), have a nice big front display so you can check timecode. Pretty cool little units. 

They look great, but they're not smaller than the Tentacles.

TCX-2: 35 x 59 x 16 mm (33cm2) 45g

Tentacle: 34 x 50 x 16 mm (27cm2) 30g

On 04/01/2017 at 3:18 AM, Philip Perkins said:

Nice looking boxes.  Why do I need wireless TC?  How are you using this, vs. a cabled jam then disconnect (for 8+ hrs)?

So you can charge more rental for 2 boxes : ) Eg. run rec from camera. But looks like you could use it as a 1 box solution (like a tentacle) if you want. TC options have become quite 'granulated' in recent years. From a simple lock box (like tentacle) to TC TRX like this to TC TRX with added wifi network function for metadata (Ambient ACN). So we choose the tool for the chosen workflow of production but you could make the case for only needing a tentacle if working with DSLRs and the more sophisticated boxes on multi-camera shoots as most pro cameras will keep code well enough for a single camera shoot (if being diligent about re-jamming). Personally I'd like to see an audio reference capability included in some of these TC TRX devices. I think Lebel Audio have something like this but is not widely available. Too bad Zaxcom ERX series was only meant as an accessory for a the Zaxcom eco system - 2 boxes the size of the ERX3TCD, each end of the line would be perfect, having to have a Nomad or an IFB at 1 end is less so (imho). It's 1 thing to own (and/or easily hire) TC TRX boxes which will accommodate a run-rec scenario or more cameras or network metadata when you need to go this way but I find it hard to justify c.2000gbp for TC and scratch track between 2 devices (the value of the ERX is once you've bought into Zaxcom more extensively).

The price of the ERX/IFB system makes a lot more sense if you also use it as IFBs for directors and so on. The receivers themselves are not really that expensive. So with one ifb and a few erx you'd have a very good ifb solution and a very good tc solition.

I haven't recently met a camera operator, however who accept anything bigger than a Tentacle.
I did bring an Ambient lockit to a commercial shoot once, because I didn't have the correct cable from Tentacle to RED Dragon, but I did for the Lockit. It needed quite some convincing, even though it was a fully kitted-out Alexa with a 250mm Zoom for a camera which sat on a dolly all day. They eventually accepted it grudgingly.
But if one day I'll be asked to bring TC and scratch, I'll probably bring my IFB/ERX set

3 hours ago, daniel said:

Personally I'd like to see an audio reference capability included in some of these TC TRX devices.

If Betso made one of these wireless timecode boxes with a mono scratch mix, I'd instantly buy four of them.

17 minutes ago, Constantin said:

The price of the ERX/IFB system makes a lot more sense if you also use it as IFBs for directors and so on. The receivers themselves are not really that expensive. So with one ifb and a few erx you'd have a very good ifb solution and a very good tc solition.

I haven't recently met a camera operator, however who accept anything bigger than a Tentacle.

Don't the ERX/IFB system use 2.4ghz to broadcast (or Zaxnet rather)?  My buddy has a few and the range seemed to be rather limited in comparison to my Lectrosonics IFB transmitter.

Right now my solution for timecode and scratch track is to put a Betso box on the camera for timecode, and then I put an old Sennheiser G3 receiver for audio BUT I don't transmit to it via a G3 transmitter.  Instead, I tune the G3 receiver to the same frequency as my Lectrosonics IFB transmitter (which is 250mw) and it sounds great believe it or not.  Hell, it doesn't even give it justice to call it "scratch" because I've been on productions before where they've used it for their edits.

Not "accepting" a fullup Lockit box for a camera sitting on a dolly (esp in a multiple camera set up) is bullshit.  Tentacles are great clever things, but sometimes genlock actually IS important to have.  I have no prob firing up a Tentacle or a TIG for a handheld or Steadi-guy or a lowend cam w/o a sync input etc, but as was said, there are now a wide range of TC tools for various kinds of shoots.

"If Betso made one of these wireless timecode boxes with a mono scratch mix, I'd instantly buy four of them."

+1, this is what i'm talking about. Ideally the same the box can independently transmit or receive audio and TC. Eg. you can send a scratch track to camera even when working with run-rec from camera. 

Just got these on the show I'm on. First impressions of it are really good. The syncing worked without a hitch.

The only gripe I have about them are the battery doors. It's a spin door like the lectro smv transmitter but no way to lock it tighten it. This means it can open easily.

Gonna evaluate it further once we get going on the show and see how it is.

5 hours ago, stacysound said:

Will the Betso's cross jam?

The Betso SBOX-1's will cross jam.  I don't know about the new one.  Tentacles will not cross jam but Sound Devices Recorders do so there's a workaround if you need to.

On 1/3/2017 at 7:48 PM, Rifthead said:

Who are you Rifthead????  

And check with Nick at Gotham NYC, they're price point is below $500 if I recall.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2017 at 3:22 AM, GNinja said:

Just got these on the show I'm on. First impressions of it are really good. The syncing worked without a hitch.

The only gripe I have about them are the battery doors. It's a spin door like the lectro smv transmitter but no way to lock it tighten it. This means it can open easily.

Gonna evaluate it further once we get going on the show and see how it is.

For the battery door, are you referring to TCX-2 or SBOX-2RF?

Must be TCX-2, the 2RF looks to be the same case more or less as the 1N. 

I own two 1Ns and I dislike the battery door. The design makes for an unreliable connection to rechargeable batteries due to the way the battery label overlaps onto the negative contact surface. Really needs a spring like Ambient has in their doors. 

Jan told me the TCX2 uses a new twisting design that solves the problems. Does it really open too easily?

Sooo after a few days, I would like to rescind my comment regarding the bay door. Here are my thoughts now on each product.

TCX-2: In regards to the swing door, I realized that it only swings one way. We velcro it to a slate or to a camera, and I noticed that it's hard for the door to swing open on it's own, but fairly easy to switch batteries out when need be. Battery life is VERY good. about 12hr days, battery drops one bar. Before I use to re-jam and re-battery the timeboxes morning and lunch time, but now it's just morning. Overall, both me and the camera deptartment are very impressed with the product.

2RF: The feelings are the same with this product as well. The door I feel is better designed. It's a bit harder to open but at least it won't open on it's own like the sbox-1. This also takes just 1 AA which is fantastic. This box lives on the sound cart and jammed to the recorder always.

Overall, the only time I've noticed a timecode issues was because of human error, like the box wasn't turned on or the cable was not plugged in. The product on it's own has not failed as of yet.

I'll do a final review once my show ends in a few months.

On 1/5/2017 at 1:05 PM, daniel said:

"If Betso made one of these wireless timecode boxes with a mono scratch mix, I'd instantly buy four of them."

+1, this is what i'm talking about. Ideally the same the box can independently transmit or receive audio and TC. Eg. you can send a scratch track to camera even when working with run-rec from camera. 

Ditto. They are great little boxes.

• 1 year later...
On 1/5/2017 at 9:18 AM, codyman said:

If Betso made one of these wireless timecode boxes with a mono scratch mix, I'd instantly buy four of them.

Don't the ERX/IFB system use 2.4ghz to broadcast (or Zaxnet rather)?  My buddy has a few and the range seemed to be rather limited in comparison to my Lectrosonics IFB transmitter.

Right now my solution for timecode and scratch track is to put a Betso box on the camera for timecode, and then I put an old Sennheiser G3 receiver for audio BUT I don't transmit to it via a G3 transmitter.  Instead, I tune the G3 receiver to the same frequency as my Lectrosonics IFB transmitter (which is 250mw) and it sounds great believe it or not.  Hell, it doesn't even give it justice to call it "scratch" because I've been on productions before where they've used it for their edits.

Yes I use the Zaxcom ERX rig at 2.4ghz with an ifb100 (which outputs at 125mw) and the range is very limited when outdoors or going through walls. Decent if in a big room because the signal can bounce. 

I just bought. Lectro kit for this same reason BUT wow so awesome to hear your tuning Sonny g3s to your IFB w success! Are there any settings oh have to change on the G3 Rx or IFB Tx? I’d love to incorporate this. 

I went with Zax because of the dual functionality - but the range is really not worth it and only makes me anxious about whether or not it’s working... lol. 

+1 for the audio scratch via Betso! 

4 minutes ago, resoNate3973 said:

I just bought. Lectro kit for this same reason BUT wow so awesome to hear your tuning Sonny g3s to your IFB w success! Are there any settings oh have to change on the G3 Rx or IFB Tx? I’d love to incorporate this. 

I went with Zax because of the dual functionality - but the range is really not worth it and only makes me anxious about whether or not it’s working... lol. 

+1 for the audio scratch via Betso! 

On the Lectrosonics IFBT4 there is no settings you need to set.  On the Sennheiser G3, just tune to the same frequency and then I have the pilot tone turned off and I believe the squelch set to the "medium" setting (I did this because some cameras put out some RF interference so if your IFTBT4 is turned off, the G3 might output a wonky horrible noise into the audio channel of the camera.  The squelch setting helped me prevent that from most likely happening if my bag is turned off and they are off shooting B-Roll or whatever).  Been doing it this way for years and it sounds fantastic.