Zaxcom Link - Advice for a new recruit

snd.waves

Hi all,

I am new to Zaxcom, having been solely Lectro/SD up until this point. I have just today put an order in (via the Aust. distributor) for a TRX900CL & QRX235 w QIFB. This decision has been a long time coming, and I am very, very excited.

What I haven’t ordered are the cables. I’d like to ask if there are any thoughts or advice experienced users out there have for me in regards to cables, cable routing, workflow options etc… even any quirks that I you may want to share relating to this setup.

I’ll still be running my usual trusty SD recorders (633/788), and Lectro wireless. As may be asked The new Zax unit will be in Block 20, which really was my only option as have other wireless in 21/22/24/26. The 21 are Lectro IFBs.

Thanks!!

I use my CL900 with my Maxx. I have my CL always rolling. I feed it a stereo Mix Track digitally. But also have used the analog connection (dualXLR to Ta5F.) I also feed it TC (BNC) for TC and Zaxnet commands...

For the 235 Ull need whatever connection to camera (usually TA5F to dual XLRM) but I also have TA5F to dual 1/8th for Reds.... 

youll need a cable properly wired for either TC in or TC out of the 235 (I always use Out)  but do have In cables wired just incase(1/8th male to BNC is pretty standard)

Last but not least you'll need to power the 235... I use PTap... but if camera doesn't provide power they'll get an ERX for a mono feed + TC...

• 3 weeks later...

I have been using Cam link with rx200 for about a year now and would never go back. fully digital from the talent TX all the way to the camera tracks, the flexibility of internal powering and timecode output are a dream come true for both the cam op and I.

one quirk so far, make sure to carry an analog Ta5f cable if you're working with Sony F5/F55 as the camera will give you an error message:

"AES EBU is not in pro use" if the links are powered before the camera using AES inputs. Even though it is a Sony firmware issue and can be fixed in about 2 seconds by power cycling the rx200, some camera op will get kranky with you.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk