Schoeps MiniCMIT

VASI

• 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, mikerobertson said:

That's an odd thing to be snobbish about.

Nah, I can feel what Rado is saying. I like Rycote's stuff in general (and my Cyclone a lot), but the basic Softies aren't super transparent (or fully protective); they're moderately priced and fine for ENG and lots of stuff.

But the MiniCMIT sounds good enough --and is expensive enough-- to warrant better/clearer wind protection. But note that I write this without having tried Rycote's latest Softies (ie- I'm basing it on my older couple) or the one they make for the MiniCMIT.

Or am I misunderstanding your comment, Mike?

The term isn't "monolopy," it's "market saturation." 

Rycote holds the position they do because they recognized a need in our industry and developed products to fill that void. Over numerous years their innovations have helped move the state of our art forward. 

Rycote is among the many companies I hold in high regard for having diligently served our needs for many years.  Thus, I feel it's unfair to label the company's products as "garbage," while, at the same time, it's certainly fair to seek out and deploy more advanced products. 

19 hours ago, John Blankenship said:

The term isn't "monolopy," it's "market saturation." 

Rycote holds the position they do because they recognized a need in our industry and developed products to fill that void. Over numerous years their innovations have helped move the state of our art forward. 

Rycote is among the many companies I hold in high regard for having diligently served our needs for many years.  Thus, I feel it's unfair to label the company's products as "garbage," while, at the same time, it's certainly fair to seek out and deploy more advanced products. 

You know my style of expression is more dramatic and theatrical. 🙂 

Not garbage but I do wish apart from THE LYRE they researched and developed more good products. WS has been the same for 30 years. The softie has always sucked but as the only choice they were selling millions. 

But since now they are owned by a giant conglomerate I have to refrain from criticizing  Rycote because the lawyers are no fun. 🙂

18 minutes ago, RadoStefanov said:

But since now they are owned by a giant conglomerate I have to refrain from criticizing  Rycote because their lawyers are no fun.

No lawyer can stop you from having an opinion.

The sad thing is a lot of Rado "opinions" he has are based on wrong information he has imagined himself and has been called out on before.  I.e light wave

Let's not forget he is sponsored by cinela so take everything he says with a pinch of salt. 

I have both Rycote and Cinela in my drama kit, great tools for different jobs.

50 minutes ago, Vincent R. said:

No lawyer can stop you from having an opinion.

Not until you express that opinion.

For information about SLAPP suits, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_lawsuit_against_public_participation

To quote Dickens, who stole the expression, "...the law is an ass." And in fairness to the Law, many US jurisdictions are striking back against SLAPP suits.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

16 hours ago, Chris Woodcock said:

The sad thing is a lot of Rado "opinions" he has are based on wrong information he has imagined himself and has been called out on before.  I.e light wave

Let's not forget he is sponsored by cinela so take everything he says with a pinch of salt. 

I have both Rycote and Cinela in my drama kit, great tools for different jobs.

I have never been sponsored by cinela. What for? Also I am not saying recote  don’t have good stuff. Lyre is a good cheap solution that works very very well and I use it most of the time. WS with lyre is good enough but transfers boom noise Sonics to the mic compared to the cinela “ I might be a little bit more rough on the boom handling” . Softie has always been bad sonically, can not deal with even light wind and  it was always MY source of frustrations. The new rycote softie version I tried was not any better. There is always a chance I don’t know how to use them. 

And to get back to my original  point I was making. I understand Rycote wants to shove this mini cmit mount down our throat as a viable solution but what I am proposing is to get back to the drawing board and come up with something better. A RYCOTE  Invision lyre number 6 with hard lyre and tight with zip ties works a lot better with the minicmit “ I use the above configuration  more often then the Cinela Cosi” then this new Frankenstein mount. And as a Rycote current user and a former client I feel expressing my opinion is not that outrages. 

16 hours ago, LarryF said:

Not until you express that opinion.

For information about SLAPP suits, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_lawsuit_against_public_participation

To quote Dickens, who stole the expression, "...the law is an ass." And in fairness to the Law, many US jurisdictions are striking back against SLAPP suits.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

A lot of times “as you must know” lawsuits are not only about winning or loosing. 

One time I got a phone call from a Swiss lawyer firm and I lost 2 days and a  thousand dollars for legal advice. And after that I learned to keep stuff to my self and for only private conversations with friends. 

14 hours ago, John Blankenship said:

One key legal point is to not make statements of opinion as if they're facts. 

It's prudent (and quite frankly, more honest) to clearly indicate that this is the person's own held opinion. 

Exactly. It’s all my opinion. 

And while most of it is based on personal choice  Rycote softie is actually a very good argument .  Anybody with good ears can test and hear the frequency response  difference and the lack of  wind protection. And now days when other companies make similar products people have point of reference and can judge by themself. 

At the end of the day my opinion does not matter. Rycotes name recognition sales a bunch around the world.  

I have to say how impressive the Cosi is with my miniCMIT.  I've only just picked it up but I'd say it's well worth the money.  Not perfectly transparent, but easily an improvement over the rycote softie I had and more practical for day to day work than my pianissimo zep.  The Ossix mounts are hard to weatherproof and the Cosi solves this problem well.  I wouldn't use it for rain machine days or anything but a light rain is fine.  The miniCMIT will probably live in the Cosi now with maybe few exceptions.

• 1 year later...

For reference:

I just came across an updated version oft the INV 21. 

Rycote added some rubber shields to the round bars. That seems to eliminate the swoosh issue.

BTW:

I've also used a Sairen A1 on it, in light wind. It fits well. It seemed a little less sensitive than the rubber in the Rycote thing that came with the INV-21 set.

• 1 year later...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1366737-REG/rycote_031102_softie_lite_kit_21_kit.html/overview?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI%3A514

Anyone try this mount? Looking for a good DPA 4017c hard mount that can support a softie. Can't find many options.

Of course i would prefer a E-OSIX but they only have it for indoor (soft).

11 minutes ago, GAGaudio said:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1366737-REG/rycote_031102_softie_lite_kit_21_kit.html/overview?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI%3A514

Anyone try this mount? Looking for a good DPA 4017c hard mount that can support a softie. Can't find many options.

Of course i would prefer a E-OSIX but they only have it for indoor (soft).

don’t waist your time with a softie. Especially the Rycote softie. 
Get a Cinela COSI. You are going to use it a lot more than anything else. 

I tried that particular Rycote kit with the MiniCMIT. In my view - (sorry Rycote) not good. The shock mount part is too stiff, and the distance between the mic and the rails below it is too tight, so the softie touches the base of the mount, not really helping the shock absorption (possibly also affecting the pickup pattern?). I ended up going with the E-OSIX. Works great. I have even used it with a Bubblebee Windkiller, and it works fine if you are somewhat careful. For real wind, the Pianissimo is absolutely fantastic IMHO.

I really liked that mount at first. It doesn’t matter much if a softie touches the rails, because everything moves in sync. 
But it’s a noisy mount with faster swings. I think those rails create a lot of turbulence. 

agree with Rado: get a Cinela Cosi and you‘ll never look back