MiniCMIT in PIANISSIMO

cineli

Dear users,

the awaited Schoeps MiniCMIT is there...and fits perfectly in the PIANISSIMO windshield !

Here are the links to appreciate the wind test comparison with the well known CMIT in PIANO:

www.facebook.com/pages/Cinela/1471314373154513
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpeDd-Bz-Yk

Good luck for this new Blue !

P.Chenevez

CINELA

Dear Derek and VAS,

I think you, both, simply express the very hard compromise everyone has to choose and accept.

Derek: we would love to make a smaller basket, but efficiency may decrease very quickly as the size decrease. Let's see what we will do "smaller" in the future, but this will be another level of performance.

VAS: very good idea to make this comparison. we'll certainly do it in the next measurement session. Anyway, the MiniCMIT may be considered a bit "lost" in the large Piano volume !

We, manufacturers, are completely stressed between size, weight and efficiency !

18 minutes ago, cineli said:

We, manufacturers, are completely stressed between size, weight and efficiency !

and also to ensure testing and comparative testing are done and provided to the customer, so he can make the choice between two close contenders... 

38 minutes ago, VAS said:

I would like to see a comparison between CMIT and MiniCMIT in Piano and not in Pianissimo. Maybe MiniCMIT and Piano will do a better job.

Vaselois, the Piano will add a LOT of volume and extra distance - i dont think it is a viable way to work. maybe rarely yes. 

I understand the concept of having ONE windshield for multiple mics - it may help us a lot in terms of price, storage, stowage etc. 

however, maybe it is not the right way to get the best results from a particular mic. 

-vin

1 hour ago, cineli said:

Dear Derek and VAS,

I think you, both, simply express the very hard compromise everyone has to choose and accept.

Derek: we would love to make a smaller basket, but efficiency may decrease very quickly as the size decrease. Let's see what we will do "smaller" in the future, but this will be another level of performance.

VAS: very good idea to make this comparison. we'll certainly do it in the next measurement session. Anyway, the MiniCMIT may be considered a bit "lost" in the large Piano volume !

Thank you for ALL of your wonderful shock mounts and windscreens! I'm thinking the new MiniCIMIT will fit in my original Zephyx windscreen that I have used for years with the short Schoeps. A smaller windscreen of the same design would in fact be a compromise on performance --- this has always been the case. The volume of air and the way this "air" interacts with the capsule is the true magic of the Cinela windscreens. 

2 hours ago, RadoStefanov said:

I doubt that. A miniCMIT in a piano will be hard to get close to talent without seeing the zeppelin since it will have a lot of dead space.

I thought it in second time. Agree

2 hours ago, cineli said:

Dear Derek and VAS,

Thanks for answering!

Agree about the extra dead space, but will be more efficiency, I think.

Damn it

I am waiting to see the next innovative product. Maybe a Zephyx update for MiniCMIT will do a better job; don't know.

Vasileios

• 3 months later...
On November 5, 2016 at 1:17 PM, Jeff Wexler said:

Thank you for ALL of your wonderful shock mounts and windscreens! I'm thinking the new MiniCIMIT will fit in my original Zephyx windscreen that I have used for years with the short Schoeps. A smaller windscreen of the same design would in fact be a compromise on performance --- this has always been the case. The volume of air and the way this "air" interacts with the capsule is the true magic of the Cinela windscreens. 

I'm also a huge fan of my Piano used with a CMIT5U!  Love it!

• 2 months later...
On 6/11/2016 at 7:17 AM, Jeff Wexler said:

Hi Jeff, have you (or anyone) managed to test a minicmit in the zephyx, interested in that set up and looks like it would fit ok but curious if enough dead space to be effective. Also curious on the real world difference between short fur and long fur covers on the zephyx, do you have both?

regards,

Chris.

• 3 years later...

Reviving this one, as I'm curious to hear from someone with first hand experience with the MiniCMIT in a Pianissimo. I recently worked  with someone else's CMIT5U in a Piano, and liked it very much. So I am looking in to getting a Pianissimo for my Mini. But the picture on Cinela's website looks somewhat strange. Maybe it's just the way this picture / angle  looks, but it appears like the MiniCMIT is held by the  suspension 'mid tube', where the interference tube slots are located. This makes me scratch my head, and think this would mess with the pickup pattern and even the sound of the mic.  At the same time, I know Cinela is very meticulous and certainly expect that they would not design something in a way that alters the sound of the mic. Am I overthinking this, or just  looking at the picture wrong?

Dear Johnny,

this option has been discussed with Schoeps, years ago. It's mostly a question of acoustic wavelength in front of the clip size. No special worry for our common "audible" frequencies.  That technique may not be applied if the clip is too close to the membrane anyway, which is not the case with the MiniCMIT in Pianissimo.

Don't forget that the whole windshield has also an effect on "transparency". This clip will not change the game...

In the other hand, this special clip installation is very helpful for balance and let the use of flexible isolators, which is a key for isolation.
Only my opinion of course...

P.Chenevez

1 hour ago, ProSound said:

I would consider a COSI for your MINI CMIT. I have one for mine and it is great for all situations along with very durable 

The Cosi is a beautiful design. But isn’t it meant to be for light wind only? Can it work in 15-20 mph wind?

5 hours ago, cineli said:

Dear Johnny,

this option has been discussed with Schoeps, years ago. It's mostly a question of acoustic wavelength in front of the clip size. No special worry for our common "audible" frequencies.  That technique may not be applied if the clip is too close to the membrane anyway, which is not the case with the MiniCMIT in Pianissimo.

Don't forget that the whole windshield has also an effect on "transparency". This clip will not change the game...

In the other hand, this special clip installation is very helpful for balance and let the use of flexible isolators, which is a key for isolation.
Only my opinion of course...

P.Chenevez

Thank you for this reply. I know you wouldn’t compromise anything with your designs.

19 minutes ago, Johnny Karlsson said:

The Cosi is a beautiful design. But isn’t it meant to be for light wind only? Can it work in 15-20 mph wind?

Thank you for this reply. I know you wouldn’t compromise anything with your designs.

I use cosi for 95% of wind condition.  Ans sometimes I will just throw an extra piece of fur i made for it on top. 

5 hours ago, Johnny Karlsson said:

What is your main work style? 

I am drama so I have the mini Cmit in a pianissimo most of the time as I would rather have full wind protection that the Cosi doesn't offer. I live in a windy country.

By the time I move indoors im on the cmc141's instead of the cmit. I use osix mounts with Rycote baseballs for the 41's

I have both the Cosi and the Pianossimo for the Mini CMIT. Only needed to use the Pianissimo a couple of times since getting the Cossi. Don't think of the Cosi like a the rycote slip over fur thingy (sorry model name eludes me). The Cosi holds up surprisingly well to wind.  

• 4 months later...

I just want to report back if anyone is interested: I ended up getting the Pianissimo. Absolutely amazing. Even without the fur, it works very good in terms of wind protection, and the sound is what I would call “transparent”. The suspension is also top notch. And it’s light weight too. Very happy overall.