Condolences, USA.

Christian Spaeth

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, Christian Spaeth said:

Sincere condolences, USA. If you're looking for places to emigrate to, we still have a decent infrastructure here in Germany for receiving a good number of refugees. Why not spend the next four years abroad and then go back to rebuild?

+1

5 hours ago, Christian Spaeth said:

Sincere condolences, USA. If you're looking for places to emigrate to, we still have a decent infrastructure here in Germany for receiving a good number of refugees. Why not spend the next four years abroad and then go back to rebuild?

At least USA got to vote on this outcome - Condolences to the rest of the world, including Muslim refugees, Central Americans (where ever they may be) and Russians who disagree with Putin.

1 hour ago, Constantin said:

Who is Yugh?

It is how New York City residents from Queens (where Trump was born and raised) pronounce the word 'huge'--with a capital, silent 'H'.

Example: "I walked into the new Gotham Sound on 36th Avenue in Long Island City, over in Queens and wow it's totally (H)uge."

15 minutes ago, Gerard-NYNY said:

It is how New York City residents from Queens (where Trump was born and raised) pronounce the word 'huge'--with a capital, silent 'H'.

Example: "I walked into the new Gotham Sound on 36th Avenue in Long Island City, over in Queens and wow it's totally (H)uge!!"

I thought it might have been an onomatopoeic word describing the process of coughing up a hair ball, especially with the 'Y' (?) beginning.

5 hours ago, daniel said:

I thought it might have been an onomatopoeic word describing the process of coughing up a hair ball, especially with the 'Y' (?) beginning.

Nah it's just a stock idiomatic expression that is still used frequently in that section of the city; it indicates quality and perceived consensus about the same, very good, great, or, size, meaning bigger than the average.

There is no "Y" sounding vowel. To pronounce it properly you drop your jaw down low and pronounce the "U" from the back of the throat so the sound of the vowel resonates in your chest.

Typically the expression is prefixed by another common Queens idiom; example: "freakin"(H)uge and spoken as if it were one long word.

Example: "I walked into the new Gotham Sound on 36th Avenue in Long Island City, over in Queens and wow it's totally (H)uge."

Yes I had heard about that, actually, but Mirror wrote "Yugh" not Yuge.
Anyway, doesn't matter

2 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

I was impressed that the vote went pretty well, no big "hanging chad" moments or Supreme Court hearings or big vote fraud accusations, with a big turn out and a result that left the contestants only about 1 % apart in the popular vote. 

Similar to an advisory referendum popular vote that was recently held 'somewhere in Europe' which ought to have led to important discussions IN PARLIAMENT... Fallout can be a different matter. But these are very different, ha ha.

Actually, referendum was a big scam for people and high political risk. Government and EU reached a deal about fiscal policies (written by Greek government). After that, they came with a referendum with the question "do you agree or disagree with that deal". If you ask every human on earth, if they want fiscal policies the answer will be "No"; of course. The real question was "EU or not EU". So, "No" has won and the results was:

- Capital controls (still today)
- Worst fiscal policies (from the previous deal)
- More points to friend-Nazi party "Golden Dawn" (3rd political party in parliament)
- Co-Government between a center / center-right party and far-left party

Bipolar disorder at its finest!

7 hours ago, OmahaAudio said:

I'm moving to France.

France is nice but if you're moving to escape populist right wing politics you'll find they're on the increase over much of the world, including France. In 2002 the french went with the establishment RW option Chirac instead of Le Pen (ultra right National Front), but it was a close run thing and many LW people voted Chirac through gritted teeth to avoid a worse outcome. The current LW president, Francois Holland is not so popular and Le pen's daughter Marine Le Pen is a significant political power. Terrorist attacks, the circumstances around refugee camps and her attempt to de-demonise the FN have brought her party even more into the mainstream. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_Le_Pen

In the end I think those of us who consider ourselves humanist will have to try harder to explain what we mean to those who view such ideas cynically (where ever we are) and hope we can all play a part in humanities overall progress. This may at times mean fighting to hold on to previously won gains - I'm thinking here of civil rights, equality etc. If those things resonate with you then maybe your country needs you now more than ever. Of course, I'm speaking to myself as well because I felt quite depressed after the brexit vote, especially as the toxic rhetoric in the lead up legitimised in minds of some, racist abuse, attacks and murder but also a less self conscious attitude towards expressing hostility and misplaced accusation at groups considered to be other.

I worked on a finance sector corporate yesterday and there were I/V question about brexit and trump. Some contributors were reluctant to comment, others expressed optimism about their sector (Ie. they have and can make money from the situation) despite their own political views and that brexit was only the beginning of a Centralist vs Federalist battle that will see the entropy of the European Union. But most interestingly for me was a view among a few of some experts that there would be further deregulation of financial/banking sectors despite the political challenges. For me this was a little shocking, as for some of us, it was deregulation that caused our current economic crisis and the subsequent political fallout. YMMV but strap yourselves in, the next 20 are going to be bumpy.

On 11/9/2016 at 9:04 AM, Philip Perkins said:

I was impressed that the vote went pretty well, no big "hanging chad" moments or Supreme Court hearings or big vote fraud accusations, with a big turn out and a result that left the contestants only about 1 % apart in the popular vote. 

A big turnout of less than half eligible voters.

I moved to the UK a few years ago, partly because of the uprising of the crazies. The people carrying assault rifles into Wal-Mart in open carry states, because they can, etc. Then Brexit happened, and open racism and hatred reared its ugly head. I knew Trump had an excellent chance of winning. I knew the polls were wrong. Nobody was counting the "unlikely voters". Brexit validated those who mostly remained in the shadows. The traditional conservative voters in the US would never have been enough to get Trump into office. It was the extremists that usually don't vote. And it was the lazy and complacent Democrats who failed to show up to vote, yet again, having believed the polls to be true. It also has to do with the Electoral College, that Democrats in populous states believe their votes don't count, because the state will "win" either way. The popular vote is the way forward. With every vote counting, turnout will be greater and the true will of the people will be represented.

I sincerely doubt the "will of the people" was represented here, but there sure were a lot of very bad people voting for Trump, even if it was only half of his supporters. That's 30 million people I don't want to have anything to do with.

Deplorable-Trump-Supporter-T-shirt.jpg

It was probably that statement that motivated the sleeping giant to get out and vote.  That and hillary's lack of regard for the law.  Overall it was that people are tired of corruption in D.C.  They wanted an outsider, someone that hated politicians as much as they do.  Just think, if hillary and the DNC hadn't rigged their own primary then you would most likely be calling Bernie the POTUS.

Don't worry too much.  It won't be as bad as you think.  You'll probably even get some of your freedoms back!  Only if you're an American citizen though.

CsPkfo9WcAAgCBX.jpg

Deplorable-Trump-Supporter-T-shirt.jpg

It was probably that statement that motivated the sleeping giant to get out and vote.  That and hillary's lack of regard for the law.  Overall it was that people are tired of corruption in D.C.  They wanted an outsider, someone that hated politicians as much as they do.  Just think, if hillary and the DNC hadn't rigged their own primary then you would most likely be calling Bernie the POTUS.

I even agree with most of that. And I can understand the sentiment of these people. I also agree that Hillary probably would have been a bad choice. She wouldn't have been a bad president, probably, but she wouldn't have really changed much. And there really are too many dubious things going on around her.
I also believe that it were the Republicans made the biggest mistake, by not getting rid of Trump when they had the chance. There are many great Republican potential candidates, anyone of which would have had an easy victory against Hillary.

And yes, I am worried. And I am not a US citizen.