slow mo playback for music video

gkim

Hi guys, 

Working playback for music video. Production is very slow with details but have told me they will be doing a slow motion shot. I've read through the forums and found this: 

Wanted to make sure I prep the files correctly: 

-singer is from Colombia (probably shooting 23.978)
-I have 10 min of LTC and the music track panned L and R respectively
-will make a new music track that is shortened by 50% (assuming they will shoot at 48fps)
-will also make a new LTC track that is shortened by 50%

It was mentioned that I should keep the pitch correct for both files, but unsure how or why to do this. Any help would be super appreciated. 

Thanks Blas, appreciate the constructive help.  

Shoot went well until the last day - Nypd shut down playback. I offered to get earwigs, production nixed that idea and let me go on the last day. They were shooting in Times Sq, so guess it was iphones. Or whatever. 

• 3 years later...

New question I haven't seen posted here.

If you're going off-speed, say 60fps, and they want to watch playback after a take, can most of the big-boy cameras record audio while off-speed? I don't believe they do...

So if there is Video Assist on set, if you send them the sped up music, can they slow it down for playback and if so, should you send it to them pitch corrected or pitch preserved?

• 1 month later...
On 8/22/2020 at 6:18 AM, BAB414 said:

New question I haven't seen posted here.

If you're going off-speed, say 60fps, and they want to watch playback after a take, can most of the big-boy cameras record audio while off-speed? I don't believe they do...

So if there is Video Assist on set, if you send them the sped up music, can they slow it down for playback and if so, should you send it to them pitch corrected or pitch preserved?

To my knowledge, cameras do not record audio when rolling off-speed.

As far as asking Video Assist to slow down the audio track, it's possible, but synching it properly on set, quickly enough to be able to show selected takes for the client would be a challenge.

BK

8 hours ago, Blas Kisic said:

To my knowledge, cameras do not record audio when rolling off-speed.

Usually yes, but depends on the camera, some do, especially if at a "moderate" slow motion off-speed (which is a straight multiple of a "normal" FPS) such as 50fps/60fps.