Nice clean recording of Christian Bale having a "moment"

Ramsay

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before this "virals" out of control and everyone speculates as to the source of the material, TMZ says this:

"Film execs sent the tape to the insurance company that insured the film in case Bale bailed."

Here is the original post from TMZ.com

http://www.tmz.com/2009/02/02/bale-went-ballistic/

As well as the original post of July 22, 2008 from TMZ.com:

http://www.tmz.com/2008/07/22/christian-went-bale-istic-on-t4-set/

RL

Richard,

Since your reply immediately followed my post, I'm hoping that your comment was not directed at me?

"I think that using TMZ as a reference for anything tells me more about you than that recording does about Christian.

My Opinion,

RVD"

I linked to TMZ to stop the rumors and rampant speculation as to where the leaked material came from. Some were quick to point the finger at the film's production mixer and also the video assist operator.

Like most of us, we have witnessed outbursts from directors, actors, producers and many others. As professionals what we may hear, or over hear we keep to ourselves.

It is unfortunate that this was posted on the internet. To me it's just another crazy day at the "office".

Regards,

RL

I have seen and stepped in front of pissed off actors,actors face to face with other actors and also, for some reaons mainly dp's. with the said actor ranting and raving and actually leaving the set.

Bale, imo- did not really "cross the line" until he said he wanted to kick his ass

and was not going to come back until he was gone. that was wrong. I think the ad did try to interevene (Bruce or a prod) they said something to the effect of, lets take a minute. but bale was not having it.

later,

This may be a completely ignorant question, but I was always taught that if the cameras aren't rolling that the sound is cut and the mics are down. Isn't this a HUGE issue of privacy?

I have heard of other mixers being fired for this EXACT issue. Did the producers specifically ask Mark Ulano to continue rolling for their "insurance concerns"? I wouldn't want to get a call from Christian's lawyers asking why the audio was still rolling when it shouldn't have been.

I mean no offense, just honestly confused about what the true protocol of this type of situation would be.

~Thomas

This may be a completely ignorant question, but I was always taught that if the cameras aren't rolling that the sound is cut and the mics are down. Isn't this a HUGE issue of privacy?

~Thomas

In several of the accounts I have read, the "incident" began DURING a take when everyone was rolling. So, if that is the case and no one said "CUT!" this could be the reason the recording exists. As we all know, the sound mixer is not supposed to cut a take unless told to do so. I would not start blaming the mixer (who I am not sure is Mark Ulano at this time) or the video assist person for any potential ethical breach.

Thank you RVD for your post regarding Christian Bale. It is unfortunate that when someone high profile looses it like this, right or wrong, it lives on as their legacy. The number of times this has happened in recent times is far to great to count (think of Alec Baldwin and his daughter, etc., etc.).

Soda,

I heard the same thing as jw,  they were in a middle of a take, but it was one of those "still rolling" deals, when the DP wanted to tweak a  light and came mumbling to himself directly behind Bale's costar and interrupted there moment.

but , ya. when actors are off the set. "turning around" moving on to the next shot/setup etc. etc. bring yr faders down. there are some actors that get this and actually turn of there tx's. even the Sm's (holding down both buttons at the same time)

does anyone remember the famous story involving Deniro? he was "offset" in  a PHONE BOTH on NY city street making a personal call, when he looked up and saw the sound mixer like 30' a way looking directly at him with his cans on. Deniro said something to the effect, can you hear me? or are you listening to me? and the mixer, maybe was intimidated or just being honest, shook his head up and down, in a yes I am. and the mixer was fired at the end of the day.

last thought- there is a pretty famous mixer, who is a"reader " here not a poster.

once told me that at the beginning of a show or film, the very first time they wire up the talent or leads, he gives them a little privacy speech, about how and  why there Mic's will be turned down when not on set etc. and the actors really appreciate that and there is a sort of bond that encounters between the sound team and talent.

later,

If something like this happens on set, and I am rolling, I keep rolling.  If the incident ends and nothing of note transpires, then I erase the recording.  If an issue were to arise, and a producer were to ask for the recording for purposes of insurance or whatever, then I would give it to them.  That's the lawyer in me (see "If I wasn't a mixer" thread).

Regarding privacy when wired... I always keep the fader down, but... One day a transpo guy asked me what had happened to a particular feed he was monitoring on set with his scanner (I discussed this in a thread about a year ago).  I looked at his frequency, and he had been tuned into one of the actor's wires who was no longer in the scene and whose mic was removed.  He had been monitoring the set to keep an ear open as to what was happening, innocent enough.  I gave him the frequency for the public Comtek feed, and tried to downplay the situation.  From this point on I have been VERY careful, and teach actors how to turn off the SM.  But I think if you are an actor on a set of the magnitude of "T4", you must assume that you are ALWAYS at risk of being recorded or filmed by someone.

That said, I think it is a real shame that this recording leaked.  In a creative environment, especially when working the hours we do in the environments we work, and the added pressure of MILLIONS of dollars at stake the directors and actors must feel, a certain allowance must be given.  I'm sure everyone here as witnessed or has been part of an on set explosion.  The test of professionalism is being able to put your arms around each other at lunch or wrap and put the whole thing behind you.  If Christian Bale behaved this way all the time, then most of us would have heard about it.  It's sad that the public will hear this out of context, and not really understand that these things happen.

Robert

I don't know Mr Bale other than his acting which i enjoy. I do know that I love melt downs having witnessed and recorded many. I do know Shane and IMO he probably deserved the loud lecture he got no matter how it comes off in this recording. There is no reason for this to be made public but it is out of the bottle now who ever is at fault. Sounds like this comes in the middle of a take and no one ever calls cut to me. Mark Ulano is a very smart cat and would never do something stupid or unprofessional like release or post a clip like this. On the bright side, the Youtube re mix was outstanding.

CrewC

I just listened to the remix. See what you can do with a nice clean recording! That is a great remix and funny as hell. I too have been on set for many actor/crew outbursts. They always seem to blow over. Hell, it's a creative high pressure business. These things happen. Who of us hasn't thrown a chair, kicked a garbage can over or heaved a set of dt48's at one time or another? OK I admit, I've done all three. A good one was many years ago on a TV series when the electrics had wired C-way through the set walls and the whole room was vibrating with 60 cycle hum. I threw one of those squeaky folding chairs into the studio wall and it stayed stuck there for a month. Needless to say, the set got rewired pronto. I had young kids at home and was a little stressed. I'm better now. ;)

I worked with DP Shane Hurlbut on the post for Swing Shift, and never had a problem with him. He does very good work and was 100% professional in my dealings with him. I have no doubt tempers were flaring, which happens when you shoot in New Mexico in July.

I would bet that the crew had nothing to do with the scene getting out. Dailies go through dozens and dozens of hands these days, and it only takes one lowly P.A. or a messenger for the wrong people to get material like this. I also bet that the studio (WB) will love the publicity for this, crazy as it seems.

Howard Stern will have a field day with this thing...

--Marc W.

I'm not sure that is a lav we are hearing. Certainly towards the end of the clip it sounds like some clothing russell, but that could be a number of things. Seems to me there is too much off camera background sound of the DP, AD, McG, room echo, etc to be off a lav at the level Mr B is yelling at. My guess is that it is a on axis schoeps in some form of the rest position. Just my hunch.

CrewC