Remote roll for Boom Recorder?

I have been playing around with boom recorder while we are on hiatus; thinking that I might use it to replace my 744T as the backup recorder.  I'd use a Mac Mini and a Traveler as hardware.  Boom Recorder works well, but the klugey hardware and delivery system has me a bit put off.  I am not used to burning a disc at the end of the day, and I would need to figure out a work-around for that.  Our days are long enough without needing to be longer.

And strangely enough, the other issue that might put it out of contention is the fact that I haven't been able to puzzle out a way to roll Boom Recorder and my DV824 with one switch.  Okay, I am spoiled by my Rollogic and the way it handles the DV824 and the 744T seamlessly.

Any ideas on how to accomplish the same result using the Mac as the recorder?  Doesn't necessarily need to use the Rollogc (which BTW, is a fabulous unit and available again at LSC)?  It could use some control function in the Mac o roll the DV824 simultaneously.

D.

Doug,

Many moons ago I asked Take Vos if he could put a mirroring feature into Boom Recorder, similar to what Metacorder has. He seemed to indicate it was not possible and there have been no updates for a long time.

I also thought that maybe the Mac could be rolled via MIDI, through the RollLogic and the Yamaha 01V96?

Would be nice.

RL

Darren,

Yes I was only referring to Boom Recorder.

My Yamaha is always connected via Usb to my Mac-mini anyways. I have studio manager running. I'm sure it would also run Boom Recorder. I also use my User Defined Keys for various functions. It is already setup to control Pro-Tools.

Please let me know how you set it up to roll Metacorder.

Thanks and regards,

Richard

Richard,

In Metacorder's setup menu, set tranport control to MMC (MIDI Machine Control, for those that don't know).

On the Yamaha's DIO/Setup menu, go to the midi/host page and set Machine Control to:

Type: MMC

Port: USB 1

Device ID: 1

On the 01V96's Utility menu, assign 3 User Defined Keys of your choice to be Record, Play, & Stop.

Pressing record and play together puts Metacorder into record, pressing play will playback the last take, and pressing stop end the recording and is the same as Metacorder's Standby button.

Cheers,

Darren

Darren,

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately Boom Recorder (at least from what I see in the "Preferences" menu) does not offer transport control - so that ends it right there.

As I said I have the Yamaha set up exactly that way for Pro-Tools and that really works great.

However, I also see that the little "Apple Remote" can control Boom Recorder. Doug that could be your solution.

"You can also use the Apple Remote to start and stop the recording using the play/pause button.

You can also step through the scenes with the next and prev buttons, the scenes are selected

from the pre defined scene list. The take is automatically reset to one ‘1’ when you change the

scene to record."

Regards,

RL

post-284-130815079798_thumb.jpg

The remote works as advertised, but I am looking for a solution that rolls both (or all three, God forbid!) machines at once.  As a senior member of the club, and with a heavy case of CRS disease (Can't Remember Shit), I try and make my button fiddling at the roll as fool-proof as possible.  The Rollogic is really great for that and integrates into my rig really well.  I use the built-in slate mic as my PL to my booms, and it mutes to cart speaker when I talk to them as well.  So now if I could figure out an RS232/boom recorder protocol, some RS232 to midi switch to duplicate the Apple Remote, I'd be good to go.  But the whole midi thing is a bit foggy to me; I'd have to let an expert figure that one out.  Take?<g>

D.

• 4 months later...

Well you could set BR to auto and it will start recording when it sees valid TC coming in and will stop when the TC does.  The manual says there is a slight delay but you can set the pre record buffer to compensate so it's essentially an instant on.

• 2 months later...
Guest Mike Paul

I think I've figured out how to integrate the Rollogic with Metacorder. I'm building some test cables to verify my wiring, but I've got it working on my test rig so far. I should also be able to wire this so it works directly off the Roll port of the PSC Solice. Sorry, no Cooper or Boomrecorder versions at the moment :(

I'll update when I think we have a shippable product if anyone is interested.

• 2 weeks later...

Doug,

Many moons ago I asked Take Vos if he could put a mirroring feature into Boom Recorder, similar to what Metacorder has. He seemed to indicate it was not possible and there have been no updates for a long time.

Maybe I missed something but its seemed to me that in the trial version of Boom Recorder I could assign more than one file location for the various mixes.  Hard drive and external. I also experimented by sending the files to a flash drive.  I didn't try to burn a CD or DVD but if flash drives work then that might be the ticket.

• 2 weeks later...

The remote works as advertised, but I am looking for a solution that rolls both (or all three, God forbid!) machines at once. 

I must be paranoid (or influenced by our host, Mr. Wexler). I don't trust multiple-roll switches, and I feel more comfortable hitting two buttons when I have to roll. That's what I've done in past Deva/DAT and Metacorder/DAT sessions, though I'm about to switch to Deva/Sound Devices.

At least if you manually hit both buttons, you know for a fact both machines are rolling. I concede this is not the most convenient method, but I've used computers for so long, I know not to ever trust them.

--Marc W.