DPA 4060 died.

cbsixty

Hi,

as title says, I have a DPA 4060 that suddenly died and am curious if anyone has an idea what could have happend.

Bought it in july and used it on just about 10 days. It has no kinks or whatsoever, treated more than good, never fell down.

The last time it's been in use was two weeks ago with zero issues, it then lived in its box until yesterday. I took it out on a shoot and nothing came out of it but silence. No cable contact when pulling or bending the cable (softly), so obviously not a broken cable.

Local dealer tested and declared it "dead, but cable not broken".

Tx and DPA adapter problem sorted out, as my other 4060s work fine.

I'll contact DPA when I get home from lovely,  rainy Malmö, but perhaps somebody on this board has an idea what could have happened.

thanks so far,

Christoph

Have to add: no moisture on last shoot, we've been in a studio.

I can't tell you what happened, it could be a number of things, but contact Mega Audio (the DPA rep in Germany). They'll most likely just replace it on warranty. I have been dealing with them a lot recently, and they have pretty good turn around times, so you'll get your mic back promptly.

• 1 month later...

I've had a couple 4060's break,  can be the talent messing with wardrobe out of view,  transmitter ends up dangling, or they go to the bathroom.  Especially if it's not waist mounted with a neopax or the likes, and it's on a belt and they sit back in a chair, bathroom etc,   actually never had one go bad in a neopax. 

On 10.01.2017. at 3:22 PM, cbsixty said:

Just a quick update:

The 4060 went to DPA, they detected some sort of defect inside the connector.

It's back now, connector has been replaced under warranty, which I find to be great service.

You are lucky. I think it is good to know that DPA charges 165 euros per hour for the repairs. Only 50 euros for diagnostics.

1 minute ago, VAS said:

165€ PER HOUR? For Repair Sake

Yes, VAS. Although it probably raises more eyebrows in our part of the world than elsewhere.  But I am curious what our western Europe based soundies have to say about it. BTW, I consider that information relevant, since I got it from local DPA dealer. http://www.sonus.si/en

10 hours ago, sinewave said:

You are lucky. I think it is good to know that DPA charges 165 euros per hour for the repairs. Only 50 euros for diagnostics.

Holy...

13 hours ago, Christian Spaeth said:

Good for you, cbsixty. I've had a few 4060s get cable breaks near the capsule, so straight to the garbage. Strain relief is a must for these mics. DPA slim might be better in that respect.

Yes, lucky me. I also had two DPAs break next to the capsule. Did not test the Slim yet, but will do next week.

Is that DPA in Denmark? Because this is not the case for the aforementioned Mega Audio, their rep in Germany. The repairs are much less.
Unless you're in Denmark yourself there's usually no specific reason to send your mics to them, whoever is their rep in your country can do the repairs just as well (and shipping is cheaper, too). As long as there is a rep.

CB, did you send the mic to DPA or Mega Audio? This just out of curiosity

12 hours ago, Constantin said:

CB, did you send the mic to DPA or Mega Audio? This just out of curiosity

I took it to Zeigermann Audio in Hamburg as I bought it from them and they also do repairs like replacing MicroDot connectors.

They then sent it to Denmark, as they couldn't detect the defect.

14 hours ago, Constantin said:

Is that DPA in Denmark? Because this is not the case for the aforementioned Mega Audio, their rep in Germany. The repairs are much less.
Unless you're in Denmark yourself there's usually no specific reason to send your mics to them, whoever is their rep in your country can do the repairs just as well (and shipping is cheaper, too). As long as there is a rep.

It is DPA in Denmark. When I asked for a 4071 repair, the local dealer told me they need to send it home to fix it. So total cost for me will be: 70 € shipping, 50 € diagnostics and 165/hour of repair = at least 285 € if they manage to fix the microphone within 1 hour. Sigh.

12 minutes ago, sinewave said:

It is DPA in Denmark. When I asked for a 4071 repair, the local dealer told me they need to send it home to fix it. So total cost for me will be: 70 € shipping, 50 € diagnostics and 165/hour of repair = at least 285 € if they manage to fix the microphone within 1 hour. Sigh.

70 € for shipping a 4071. Nuff said.

This is very wrong. Local dealer is one thing (a lot of them can't handle the MicroDot and so they have to send it in), but there must be a DPA distributor in your country, or neighbouring country, some place where shipping to isn't so expensive.
I have never had an issue with my mics which the german distributor couldn't fix. Sometimes they state on their invoice that a mic had to be sent to Denmark, because it couldn't be repaired. That just means they actually replaced the mic and I'm getting a new one (cbsixty, I bet that's what Zeigermann did) - for much less than buying a new one in the shop. They'll only do that with repairs, though of course.
It is also very easy to locate the fault on your mic - I mean the physical position. Tell them that position and they might not charge you the 50€ for diagnosis. Many companies charge something when you bring them gear for trying to find the fault. They will then contact you and let you know what's broken. If you don't want it fixed, you have to pay the diagnosis anyway. But if you do want it fixed, they won't charge the diagnosis fee. I'd be very surprised if DPA did that differently.

How much would you have to pay for shipping from Zagreb to Copenhagen for a small package? Come on, it can't be €70. Have a good talk with your dealer, or go to someone else.
These prices just aren't right, especially if you consider how much you pay for a new mic

11 hours ago, Constantin said:

This is very wrong. Local dealer is one thing (a lot of them can't handle the MicroDot and so they have to send it in), but there must be a DPA distributor in your country, or neighbouring country, some place where shipping to isn't so expensive.

I agree with you. But that dealer or distributor was recommended to me by DPA Denmark.

16 hours ago, Constantin said:

It is also very easy to locate the fault on your mic - I mean the physical position. Tell them that position and they might not charge you the 50€ for diagnosis. Many companies charge something when you bring them gear for trying to find the fault. They will then contact you and let you know what's broken. If you don't want it fixed, you have to pay the diagnosis anyway. But if you do want it fixed, they won't charge the diagnosis fee. I'd be very surprised if DPA did that differently.

That's true too. I know where the fault is, so they probably will not charge me for diagnostics. What scared me was the price of repair which could easily climb to the price of a new mic if they spend two hours on it.

16 hours ago, Constantin said:

How much would you have to pay for shipping from Zagreb to Copenhagen for a small package? Come on, it can't be €70. Have a good talk with your dealer, or go to someone else.
These prices just aren't right, especially if you consider how much you pay for a new mic

That was my thinking, too. I will research other options.

56 minutes ago, sinewave said:

>What scared me was the price of repair which could easily climb to the price of a new mic if they spend two hours on it.<

I think it would be wise for DPA to replace  the mic is that was the case, we are a very small industry and repeat business is paramount.

• 2 years later...

Greeting all,

Sorry to brought this discussion again.

I'm trying to fix a couple of 406x series.

After a few trial errors I almost fix one of them. Does anyone here ever try to doing by yourself?

PS: please don't ask me why I'm not sending it back to dealer or else. Because I'm in Indonesia, cost will be outrageous to send,fix,send it back.

Thank you all

_20191110_185310.jpg

• 1 month later...

Typically my 4060s fail at the head.  With practice I could cut the plastic sleeve that surrounds the capsule off without damaging the capsule.  DPA was nice enough to send me a number of the beige sleeves.  Resoldering the capsule was for me the difficult part.  My success ratio was about 3 out of 5 mics.  

Haven't tried any in a long while.

• 2 weeks later...

Here in the UK at least, it is a two year warranty on the DPA lavalier microphones. It's always worth contacting your local DPA dealer/distributor with the serial number of the microphone before throwing it away, they will be able to tell you if it is still covered or not. We get a few capsule issues here and there and usually it will be replaced so long as it is not obvious physical damage. Same with the microdot connectors.

We will repair microdot connectors (that are not covered under warranty) in house for £20+VAT plus shipping but in most cases due to how fragile the microdot can be we find most of our customers are now getting the microphones hard-wired instead with a different choice of connector.