Bubblebee Spacer Bubble?

Chriscc123

So has anyone used the Bubblebee's new spacer bubble yet? Been waiting a while now to see if anyone has done and A/B or some sort of review. How does it compare to a zeplin? From just observation it seems like it would be somewhere in the middle, better than a basic softy but not as good as a zeplin. Need to invest in a more wind protection but I figured this might be a good stop gap before I go all in. Thoughts?

https://www.bubblebeeindustries.com/collections/all-products/products/the-spacer-bubble

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, let me tell you my story. I bought the Spacer Bubble in January. Used it together with a Cmit5u and a Cinela osix on one job, but heard a lot of whining and wind (in extremely light wind) so I wrote to Bubblebee. 

I sent it in for analys together with the sound files and Poul told me that there were a possible error. 

He sent me a new one with two different lengths of fur.s It arrived a couple of days ago and I haven't had the time to try it out. 

We'll see...

I recently wrote to Bubblebee because I picked up a used Neumann RSM 190 and for the life of me could not find wind protection to fit it short of a full zepplin. None of Bubblebee's standard sizes would fit the mic, which is 30mm in diameter, but Poul wrote me back quickly and said they would be happy to custom make one for me. 

I sent him the measurements of the mic and a few weeks later a spacer bubble and two different lengths of fur arrived on my doorstep. It fit the RSM190 perfectly. 

Ive used it several times now and it's great. There is a short fur option and a long fur option. The long fur definitely seems to be a must for this. In my experience, the short fur doesn't seem to be very effective in anything but the lightest breeze. The long fur works really well in every wind condition I have used it in so far. The spacer bubble with no fur sounds great - very transparent. The furs seem to reduce a bit more high end than similar offerings from Rycote, but that can be easily EQ'd back in.

So far I love the flexibility of the system and the customer service is top notch. 

-Mike

• 2 years later...

We've done a few tests which you guys might find useful in getting a feel for the Spacer Bubble in all its forms and capabilities - I hope they help! 

Transparency test in Death Valley - very little to no wind with the DPA 4017 

====

San Gorgonio Pass Wind Farm - Heavy wind with the DPA 4018C supercardioid: 

====

Grand Canyon with high wind and the DPA 4017

On 3/29/2017 at 12:22 AM, John Ronnerblad said:

Well, let me tell you my story. I bought the Spacer Bubble in January. Used it together with a Cmit5u and a Cinela osix on one job, but heard a lot of whining and wind (in extremely light wind) so I wrote to Bubblebee. 

I sent it in for analys together with the sound files and Poul told me that there were a possible error. 

He sent me a new one with two different lengths of fur.s It arrived a couple of days ago and I haven't had the time to try it out. 

We'll see...

I need to do some tests with mine and see if I'm having an issue with wind noise.  I'm using it with a Schoeps MK641 with a Rycote Invision mount.  I did have one instance with just the bubble, no fur, that concerned me.  I don't recall the circumstances only that I felt I shouldn't be having any wind.  I'll do some tests this week and report what I find.  I usually just use this mic indoors for interview, but I bought the spacer so I could quickly go from indoors to outdoors, and if I was needing to do quick boom swings.

17 minutes ago, berniebeaudry said:

I need to do some tests with mine and see if I'm having an issue with wind noise.  I'm using it with a Schoeps MK641 with a Rycote Invision mount.  I did have one instance with just the bubble, no fur, that concerned me.  I don't recall the circumstances only that I felt I shouldn't be having any wind.  I'll do some tests this week and report what I find.  I usually just use this mic indoors for interview, but I bought the spacer so I could quickly go from indoors to outdoors, and if I was needing to do quick boom swings.

Maybe use a Cut-1 or Cut-60?  It might help to have the LF cut at mic level instead of the mixer, no?