Zaxcom Stereo Line Level Output

chris_bollard

I have a question that hopefully someone out there can answer; why is it that on the Generation 1 & 2 Stereo Zaxcom transmitters/receiver combos that the output level of the receiver can not operate at line line; ie. When I send tone I have to operate the receiver at mic level to get the camera input to be within the normal pot range. The Tx level is set to 28. To get the receiver to get anywhere near line level I have to crank the Tx level to 50!

With the newer Tx 900 I can set the receiver to line level.

I guess my question is in two parts. What level do you set you Tx at, and has anyone else come across to Gen 1/2  vs new 900 lone level difference.

Hope I've made my problem clear enough. I'm pecking this out on my Iphone so checking what I've already typed a bit tricky.

Thanks

I have both a new and old Zaxcom Receiver and I have never used line level because it is not hot enough to drive pretty much every camera's inputs I've used .  It is a pet peeve of mine about the Zaxcom and feel it a design flaw.

Andy

Thanks to Gene and Oleg

My current setup is - Tx set to 28 using Remote Audio line level cable.

I can only get the camera pots within normal range using mic level setting on the Rx.

Thanks again

thats curious. whilst i only have experience of the newer (silver) zaxcom units, ive never had a problem with using line level on the camera. i find the difference is typically one bar on a sony camera (digibeta dsr450 etc) between hard wired to a sound devices mixer and the zaxcom.

Andy, that's my point; and reassuring that someone else has seen the same problem.

Rich, what level do you have your Tx set too? I have the 1st gen Tx (black case). I know the 2nd gen Tx (silver) can output at line level and the Rx are supposed to be the same. That's why I'm raising the question.

on the silver tx, you have 2 pots on the sta100 which you adjust with a little screwdriver, then set your levels on the lcd display on the trx900 to the handy -20db marker.

also the sta100 is line level only, but have had no problem driving it from any sound devices mixer or sqn mixer

Hi Chris,

The newer Zaxcom RX can output a couple dB more than the older RX but it is still a low level line output and not strong enough to drive most cameras that I use.  The older RX I think put out -10dB when set to line level and the newer RX puts out -6dB.  I use the older version TX with my 302 and when I send tone to the TX I am setting it to around 36. 

Andy