Wind Protection for Schoeps

adaml

We can fine tune our methodology along those lines, but when we talk about "diminishing the performance of the windscreen", are we talking about diminishing the ability to remove wind hits?  Or are we talking about unacceptable acoustic or frequency-response-altering compromises in order to keep the wind out?

I always tend to aim to put as little as possible on the mic, with the admittedly less-than-scientific approach of "the less that separates the naked microphone from the naked voice, the better it's gonna sound".  I'm always boggled when I see EPK guys on set doing interiors with a zeppelin and windjammer on.

I think we are both talking about the same thing but possibly with slightly different priorities and maybe slightly varying degrees of enthusiasm to explore the possibilities. We can all agree that avoding a "wind hit" is the TOP priority, but in relation to my statement about "diminishing the performance of the windscreen" I need to clairfy my position. I do mean that what may be diminished by putting the mic capsule so close to the front is the ability of the windscreen to do its job --- avoiding wind hits. What I also mean to indicate is that if preventing wind hits is the top priority, and this we agree on, if it were the ONLY priority, wrapping the microhpone in a furniture pad would most probably prevent ALL wind distrubances. We are talking about the compromise that must be made when putting a mic into a windscreen, any windscreen. I do the same as you, try and put as little "on the mic" as possible, but as we all know, and as you state, there IS wind out there and we need to protect the mic.

My ongoing quest is for the windscreen that gives me sufficient protection from wind hits AND does the least to affect the sound of the microphone. This involves, as we have seen, understanding the nature the mic itself, the properties of wind, the feeasibility of using certian devices with the mic to deal with this, and most importanlty, not taking for granted that the windscreens everyone uses (like the Rycote) are necessarily the right choice. By questioning this hopefully it will compel the manufacturers to re-think some of their "tried and true" designs (which really just means the designs that have survived and sold well) and we won't have to all design and build our own windscreens.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

• 7 years later...

I wonder with the DPA windpac, why can't one make a custom windjammer for it and throw it on it. I've used it a bunch but never considered that. I'm sure someone out there has done it. Since it doesn't have a "hard" skeleton that could work...or might that damage the acoustic properties of the whole spiral design...wouldn't think so.

• 4 months later...

Hi all, my daughter made one for me out of a furry material from the local remnant shop, she took the pattern off the rain cover fixed a zip on it, I have used this on the most windy conditions, on my last production I thought my K-tek was going to break but the sound was as transparent as ever with no wind noise at all, so there you have it.

this is a ref regarding DPA windpac with Schoeps cmit 5u.

Wow, pretty old thread. I once rented some CCM Schoeps and got really nice (and expensive) foam windscreens with them. They had a thin plastic ring on the end and inside they are hollow so air is around the capsule. I looked on their website but they don't seem to make them anymore? I used them outside on a IRT Kreuz surround setup and had no wind problems (yes, only with foam windscreens!)

Today I use a regular foam windscreen and, probably similar to what pee-wee mentioned, a self-made furry sock around it (bought some fake fur at the shop and sew it together to fit around the foamie. Works very well, unless in windy conditions outside, when I use a zeppelin. The good thing is that its sonic influence on the mic is barely noticable - unlike the "dead cats" you can buy, the fur's hair is sort of knit onto a very thin web instead of cloth.

Before the Cinela products came out, Don used to build custom windscreens for the Schoeps MK-41 for use in exteriors. We also used, and continue to use, the Schoeps hollow cage with furry windscreen for light wind. Now, we use the Cinela Zephyx windscreen most of the time, and the new ball shaped windscreen (named Leonard) which is most similar to the Schoeps ball cage. Interiors, always use the hollow foam teardrop (which will eventually always fall apart so we have several). I can tell you that their is a definite sonic difference between a solid foam teardrop (which we also use at times) and the hollow foam one. The hollow foam is just as effective, maybe even more so, and sounds better, more transparent than solid foam.

Interesting thread and still very relevant of course. Jeff, do you prefer the new Leonard ball over similar bbg type windscreens from Rycote or Schoeps? The Rycote seems a little too large.

I'm assuming the Zephyx is the better choice over any ball-type windshield for higher wind situations. What's your thought process on choosing between the two?

Thanks,

Derek