Sound Devices / LSC / Local 695 Multi Track Recording Seminar

Steve Joachim

Sound Devices, LSC and your Local are sponsoring a seminar on multi-track recording with Sound Devices products on Saturday, February 28th at the Los Angeles Film School Theater in Hollywood. John Tatooles from Sound Devices will be the featured speaker. Check the Union, Sound Devices or LSC websites for details. You can register on line at the SD site or, contact Darlyna Mitchell at LSC (818)980-9891 x352 to RSVP.

www.locationsound.com

Perhaps this thread can become a wish list for SD multi track products leading up to the seminar.

My first wish for the 788:

To emulate the Fostex 824 for naming the next file to be recorded.  Push F3 on a keyboard and the name of the current file comes up, with the last digit flashing (the curser point).  Then one simply uses the right arrow to move over and easily create an "A", or if an "A" is already up, then the up arrow to create a "B" (or type any letter).  After hitting "Enter" twice, the "take" field is decremented to "1", and "fn HOME" backs one out to the top level, ready to record.

Basically, one keystroke takes you to an easily editable field. After the edit, then 3 keystrokes (which can literally be done in approximately 1 second) gets you to a record state. 

Total operational time to add a "letter" to the scene: 4 seconds.

Add a couple of seconds if you must change to a completely new scene.

And all is done on the keyboard, no touchy the machine.

(Editing an existing file name is even easier than that.  2 keystrokes, plus the edit.)

I didn`t count the seconds but with a programmable F-key on my keyboard that is attached to the 744T it works pretty much as you described it. Hit F2 (e.g.), hit the down-arrow (cursor is activated within the scene-name field), hit the right-arrow till the end of your scene-name and enter the A or press the up-arrow to change that A to a B, then hit two times enter and you are done. It might take 5 secs but it works for me.

Matthias

My first wish for the 788:

To emulate the Fostex 824 for naming the next file to be recorded.  Push F3 on a keyboard and the name of the current file comes up, with the last digit flashing (the curser point).  Then one simply uses the right arrow to move over and easily create an "A", or if an "A" is already up, then the up arrow to create a "B" (or type any letter).  After hitting "Enter" twice, the "take" field is decremented to "1", and "fn HOME" backs one out to the top level, ready to record.

Basically, one keystroke takes you to an easily editable field. After the edit, then 3 keystrokes (which can literally be done in approximately 1 second) gets you to a record state. 

Total operational time to add a "letter" to the scene: 4 seconds.

Add a couple of seconds if you must change to a completely new scene.

And all is done on the keyboard, no touchy the machine.

(Editing an existing file name is even easier than that.  2 keystrokes, plus the edit.)

Actually there is already an even quicker way to increment scene names/numbers than you describe. You need firmware v1.51 or higher.

Simply press STOP + FFWD to increment the scene name.  It takes less than a second:) You can choose whether you increment by character or number in the Scene Increment Mode menu (menu#9).

For example:

BY character: 100, 100A, 100B, 100C etc

By number: 100, 101, 102, 103, 104 etc

Each time the new scene is created, the take resets to 1 (if you want it to!).

With this firmware, you can also edit metadata and filenames before, during and after recording AND all edits are made across all record media.

http://www.sounddevices.com/notes/recorders/788t-151/

Paul

Sound Devices

Hi Paul,

I was refering to the 744T.

Btw do you know if / when we might expect the digital inputs routed to tracks in ADDITION to the analog Ins? That`s the feature I am waiting for before purchasing the 788T cause I wanna send my Cooper 8 PF outs to tracks A-H and my LR out via AES to tracks LR.

Cheers, Matthias

Btw do you know if / when we might expect the digital inputs routed to tracks in ADDITION to the analog Ins? That`s the feature I am waiting for before purchasing the 788T cause I wanna send my Cooper 8 PF outs to tracks A-H and my LR out via AES to tracks LR.

Cheers, Matthias

You're not the first person to ask and we certainly appreciate its usefulness. We usually try and prioritize new features according to client demand.

Paul

I've just started with the 788T and am still midway through the manual, but here's another one that maybe there is already an answer to: I'd like for any track (L, R, or A-H) to be assignable pre- or post-fader.  As I currently understand it, "L" and "R" are ALWAYS post fader and A-H are ALWAYS pre-fader.  I'd rather be able to set this myself.  Ideally, I'd rather the first two tracks were not even labeled "L" and "R" and were simply numbered in sequential order (what's with the alphabetic track names on the further ones, also?), but that's obviously harder since it would require both software and hardware designations to change.  In the meantime, as many of us only record a mono mix and then isos (not a stereo or "2-track" mix), the always-post-fader "R" is kind of a waste.

You're not the first person to ask and we certainly appreciate its usefulness. We usually try and prioritize new features according to client demand.

Paul

Me too!  I would love to be able to assign my digital out into track one or to both LR, and analog pre-fader from the board into A-H on the 788T.  Don't want or need a CL-8 (yet) so would like to be able to do this through the 788T only.  Right now it's about the only thing preventing me from buying one, that and having a JOB!

Robert

I've just started with the 788T and am still midway through the manual, but here's another one that maybe there is already an answer to: I'd like for any track (L, R, or A-H) to be assignable pre- or post-fader.  As I currently understand it, "L" and "R" are ALWAYS post fader and A-H are ALWAYS pre-fader.  I'd rather be able to set this myself.  Ideally, I'd rather the first two tracks were not even labeled "L" and "R" and were simply numbered in sequential order (what's with the alphabetic track names on the further ones, also?), but that's obviously harder since it would require both software and hardware designations to change.  In the meantime, as many of us only record a mono mix and then isos (not a stereo or "2-track" mix), the always-post-fader "R" is kind of a waste.

Noah,

The Pre/Post idea is under consideration right now. 

The L/R track post-fade is kind of by design since they are "mix" tracks.  It is not required that you record the  "R" track, just assign everything to "L" and don't select "R" for record.  Also remember that the L/R designations are really only on the faceplate of the 788.  You can change the BWF designations to whatever you would like. 

The L/R and A - H designation were chosen in the design phase to differentiate tracks from inputs 1-8.

---Matt

Me too!  I would love to be able to assign my digital out into track one or to both LR, and analog pre-fader from the board into A-H on the 788T. 

Robert

In the meantime, here are just a couple of examples of what you can do now when using a board to provide the mix and ISO feeds:

-Digital out (mono mix from board) on to track L and 7x analog out (pre-fader from the board) onto tracks A-G (or R-F or any combination of tracks).

-Digital out (mono mix from board) on to track L&R and 7x analog out (pre-fader from the board) onto tracks A-G.

-Digital out (stereo mix from board) on to track L&R and 6x analog out (pre-fader from the board) onto tracks A-F.

And remember, you still have Aux tracks 1 and 2 for other routing flexibility, typically for feeding video village or boom ops etc.

Paul

Well that seems silly to me since all the other recorders out there use input 1 and track 1 and it hasnt caused any problems that I am aware of and is how most set up the routing for ISO: 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, etc.

Youre point is a valid one and I think perhaps the use of the 'L' and 'R' labels has created a misconception that the 788 is limited in its routing capability.

Once you realize that they are JUST labels and that:

Track L = Track 1

Track R = Track 2

Track A = Track 3

Track B = Track 4

"

"

Track H = Track 10

Track X1 = Track 11

Track X2 = Track 12

. . the true flexibility becomes apparent.

Part of the reason characters were chosen as track designators is because of the 744 heritage where tracks are labeled A-D.

Because the 788 is a true mixer/recorder, it was felt that calling track 1, 'L' and track 2, 'R', was a fairly logical step because these tracks are typically used as the mix tracks. Unfortunately, it seems that many users now think that these HAVE to be used as mix tracks, when in actual fact, they dont. They can be used as ISOs too.

Paul

In the meantime, here are just a couple of examples of what you can do now when using a board to provide the mix and ISO feeds:

-Digital out (stereo mix from board) on to track L&R and 6x analog out (pre-fader from the board) onto tracks A-F.

And remember, you still have Aux tracks 1 and 2 for other routing flexibility, typically for feeding video village or boom ops etc.

Paul

that`s all true. But as my mixer got 8 channels I don`t want to repatch anything in the middle of the battle we all know that shooting smtimes are. I don`t need 8ch isos very often if at all but unplugging cables is not very appealing to me. Thats why I was hoping to use the digital Ins as discribed.

Matthias

Youre point is a valid one and I think perhaps the use of the 'L' and 'R' labels has created a misconception that the 788 is limited in its routing capability.

Once you realize that they are JUST labels and that:

Well, until the firmware allows the tracks to be pre/post fader assignable, they are more than just labels in that one can only send post fader to L/R and can only send pre fader to A-H.

Part of the reason characters were chosen as track designators is because of the 744 heritage where tracks are labeled A-D.

It is one thing that I never understood then (and don't now).  Nothing (and no one) else in the industry that I know of uses these alphabetical labels for tracks.  Since the tracks end up through the post chain and need to be referenced later by post software that is going to recognize the tracks as 1-10 based upon how they are going to appear in the poly file, it makes most sense to me to keep the same labeling technique in the production world.

.02 nvt

It is one thing that I never understood then (and don't now).  Nothing (and no one) else in the industry that I know of uses these alphabetical labels for tracks. 

In the 744T, it was just a labeling technique to clearly differentiate in the user interface between input designators (1,2,3,4) and track designators (A, B, C, D). The 788T continues down this path for consistency. As far as poly and mono files track designators are concerned, the Sound Devices machines have always conformed to the industry 'standard'; in other words Track L appears as track 1. Importing a 788 file into Wave Agent will show that quite clearly.

Paul

"As far as poly and mono files track designators are concerned, the Sound Devices machines have always conformed to the industry 'standard'; in other words Track L appears as track 1."

This is quite logical to me. btw I am so greatfull to the exceptional support given by the Sound Devices team. I am looking forward to the updates to the 744t. I would like to attend the sdrecorder discussion at AFI but I am not a member of the Union. Can non-union members attend? I would hope so.

Mtm,

the sd multitrack seminar is at the LA Film School and is open to "the public" you might want to rsvp thru lsc.