Audio Follow Cart Concept

Matt Bacon AMPS

4 hours ago, Matt said:

Some large cable hooks that fold left and right would be nice for tight doorways. About 4 of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes good shout.

8 hours ago, David Waelder said:

I managed to find the company that makes latches to secure drawers and cabinets on airplanes. It's Stealth Aerospace. Here's a link:

http://www.stealthaerospace.com/latches/sam_turnretainers.htm

So, JackHenry, you can examine all the details without incurring any unwelcome scrutiny from the TSA.  

David

Interesting link... cheers!

If it were for me, I would also add front casters. How about the drawers opening not to the front or back, but to the side? This would allow for a flip-down shelf below the back handle which could be loaded with carpets (with the handle as an upper retainer). You could also move the cart with the drawers unlatched with little worry.

The table top could be stowed on the "front" (opposite the handle and wheels)

Now that i'm writing this, I realize that I may have just turned it into Greg Sextro's follow cart, which is a brilliant design

Damn it Wyatt, you've implanted some great idea's for a redesign of my next follow cart. I was this close to having it sorted. 

For me front castors are a must. When wheeling my cart any real distance tilted back, it is a strain on my forearms. As soon as it's on smooth ground on all four weals it's a blessing. The follow cart is mainly going to be moved by a boomie, who I would rather have use their muscle energy for the important business. 

Really dig the front cover that slides to be a shelf but without legs I would worry about it tipping. Is there any way you could simply unscrew it and then mount it centred on top so as to have an even centre of balance. I have been thinking of work shelves that slide out on the sides for this reason. 

For me the other thing is I want to be able to split the cart in two. Last job involved a lot of stairs and I live in a four story walk up apartment. That and I don't want a van, I've got a Mazda cx5(? toy SUV) So everything has to be as compact as possible.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with Matt. 

9 hours ago, Wyatt Tuzo said:

If it were for me, I would also add front casters. How about the drawers opening not to the front or back, but to the side? This would allow for a flip-down shelf below the back handle which could be loaded with carpets (with the handle as an upper retainer). You could also move the cart with the drawers unlatched with little worry.

The table top could be stowed on the "front" (opposite the handle and wheels)

Now that i'm writing this, I realize that I may have just turned it into Greg Sextro's follow cart, which is a brilliant design

Thanks for the suggestions, it was going to be an option as I have some low profile casters which I use on my other carts that would fit the job.

Spinning the cart 90 degrees was also a consideration. My primary reasons for changing my mind were:

A. You loose storage space as the rear wheels overlap the rack area (even if you put them below as it raise the working surface height by 12")

B. Weight distribution would be "compromised" when tipped back on the larger rearwheels (if the short tide was the back) in so much as it would more likely tip/fall to the side when in motion. This could be fixed make the cart square in size thus increasing the distance between the wheels but then the compact design concept is lost.

I may change my mind during prototyping of course as it maybe the solution to a problem yet unknown. I have come to realise it is all a compromise...

I'm not familar with Greg Sextro's cart - has it been covered on JWS? I guess the reason why many carts look similar is that the requirements and practicalities are pretty strict (19", strong box design, needs handles to push etc.).

All my design have taken influences from many sources - including those in the JWS gallery - and then I have tried to add a unique spin :) 

1 hour ago, Nate C said:

Damn it Wyatt, you've implanted some great idea's for a redesign of my next follow cart. I was this close to having it sorted. 

For me front castors are a must. When wheeling my cart any real distance tilted back, it is a strain on my forearms. As soon as it's on smooth ground on all four weals it's a blessing. The follow cart is mainly going to be moved by a boomie, who I would rather have use their muscle energy for the important business. 

Really dig the front cover that slides to be a shelf but without legs I would worry about it tipping. Is there any way you could simply unscrew it and then mount it centred on top so as to have an even centre of balance. I have been thinking of work shelves that slide out on the sides for this reason. 

For me the other thing is I want to be able to split the cart in two. Last job involved a lot of stairs and I live in a four story walk up apartment. That and I don't want a van, I've got a Mazda cx5(? toy SUV) So everything has to be as compact as possible.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with Matt. 

Yes I agree with everything you have said. The casters will definitely be an option (trying to keep as low a entry price as possible)

To allow the drawers to open at the front rather than the rear (as shown above) the sliding shelf needs to be able to go above the rear handles which the current design would not allow. The next design change will be to raise the front uprights to the same height of the rear ones. 

This will allow the sliding lid to be placed and secured centrally if desired or slightly off center if you have nothing particularly heavy. 

I have also considered splitting the design but the realities are that you loose overall strength - not a huge amount but some - but more importantly cost!

As I mentioned above it is all about compromise. Would the extra cost be "worth" the gain. Let me know!!

IMG_1442.JPGIMG_1443.JPG

These are exactly the hooks I need on my cart! Could someone give a hint where to get these? Preferable in Germany. Or Matt, could you please post a close-up of the sticker with barcode and number? Maybe I can find them online that way. Thanks!

Edit:

Never mind, I found them.

https://hardware-warehouse.co.uk/Folding-Plastic-Coated-Curved-Hook

16 hours ago, astro said:

These are exactly the hooks I need on my cart! Could someone give a hint where to get these? Preferable in Germany. Or Matt, could you please post a close-up of the sticker with barcode and number? Maybe I can find them online that way. Thanks!

Edit:

Never mind, I found them.

https://hardware-warehouse.co.uk/Folding-Plastic-Coated-Curved-Hook

Yep those are the ones!

• 1 month later...

This is my soon to be launched Follow Cart concept. I'm still waiting for a few parts to arrive so it can be beta tested.

It features 20u of 19" storage space, detachable worktop, compatibility with our range of universal accessories (boom holders, antenna holders etc.)

Any requests while we are in the final design/testing/phase? Estimated RRP £1,000+VAT

IMG_2227.JPG

IMG_2230.JPG

9 hours ago, Bash said:

Could the work surface flop down over the front of the drawers, to keep them closed when it is stowed? sb

Yes it does.

8 hours ago, RPSharman said:

There should be a bottom shelf so muck on the ground or wet grass doesn't get on the bottom drawer. 

There will be a shelf that will do just that giving you a 490mm x 310mm area.