Equipment wishes for 2017

Glen Deakin

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to see what comes next in the small-but-powerful bag recorder zone.  What comes after 633/Nomad/RX4+?  Will F8 be improved enough to become the new standard?   Will a Maxx v2 be the new deal?  Bring it, folks!

Meanwhile--let's hear from someone who has really tortured an F8, like weather, vibration, drops, dust, sweat etc etc and lived to tell the tale!

Mono XLR recorder (like DR-10x) with p48 power (a stereo line I/P option would be 'gravy'). Given all the technology already exists and there is so much mono acquisition still takes place (eg radio) it's starting to look like a conspiracy to me :-) Ie. 'people' don't want us using our lovely condenser mics without a bunch of boxes and cables attached (all of which I have but would love to be able to plug something small into a MKH50 / 416 / CS3e for a simple mono record).

MKH-8030 (should really be an inline screw on module rather than separate body)

3 channel mixer, 2 channel recorder with sunlight visible meters.

multi-channel IFB system, 1 transmitter with multiple inputs, so can be flexibly assigned as agency IFB, Director IFB, VTR playback, boom PL, etc...

Zaxcom (or other) boom op system.  1 mic input with 48v phantom (XLR), 1 mic input for dynamic headphone boom set (XLR), Mon/PL output (1/4") powered by NP-F, PTT button (latched on while rolling so operator doesn't have to manually activate), tally light, optional TC display panel for DSLR / action cam shoots.

13 hours ago, The Immoral Mr Teas said:

SENNHEISER AGAIN!

A 'production recordist's' (or - 'useful') bass cut for the MKH 80-series. Fixed roll off as per the existing bass cut, and some kind of additional roll off, whether switched or variable like the schoeps cut 1/2.

Nice idea and is valid for DPA, a C preamp with low cut

- MKH 8030, yes indeed;

- CPU upgrade for my brain: 8 core minimum @ 5,2 Ghz, suggested layout:

• core 1-4 for monitoring up to 12 iso tracks simultaneously as if listening in mono mode; alternativly only 8 ISOs, but with frameline clear™  boom drop-in and reflection control on 2 HD monitors
  • core 5 for proper mixing 10+ isos with anticipation of erroneous cues and automatic overlap detector
  • core 6 for notes & memory (permanentely updating and keeping in mind all adjustements necessary for the next take, next setup, next scene and day after tomorrow)
  • core 7 for proper multi level communication including automatic timeslot detector for talking to director, 1st AD, DOP and main cast 
  • core 8 reserved for humour and friendliness on set

As usual One unit Maxx2 with internal IE battery , 4 faders, 8 AES in, "different fader assignment" 3 dual wireless modules, 2 SD Cards - primary and mirror, wireless control module inside for use with tablets preferably through browser and not app.

DPA AES42 preamp.

Sennheiser or DPA dual AES42 preamp that takes 2 capsules in to one AES.

Mini slate for GoPro.

2 hours ago, axel said:

- MKH 8030, yes indeed;

- CPU upgrade for my brain: 8 core minimum @ 5,2 Ghz, suggested layout:

• core 1-4 for monitoring up to 12 iso tracks simultaneously as if listening in mono mode; alternativly only 8 ISOs, but with frameline clear™  boom drop-in and reflection control on 2 HD monitors
  • core 5 for proper mixing 10+ isos with anticipation of erroneous cues and automatic overlap detector
  • core 6 for notes & memory (permanentely updating and keeping in mind all adjustements necessary for the next take, next setup, next scene and day after tomorrow)
  • core 7 for proper multi level communication including automatic timeslot detector for talking to director, 1st AD, DOP and main cast 
  • core 8 reserved for humour and friendliness on set

+1 for core 6, 7 and 8

31 minutes ago, RadoStefanov said:

Well I guess the former already exists but what we need manufactured is either an assembly mount to attach the two capsules to the preamp (maybe this can wait for the 'upcoming' 8030) or a cable assembly for the same purpose. Or both?

Jez

13 minutes ago, The Immoral Mr Teas said:

Well I guess the former already exists but what we need manufactured is either an assembly mount to attach the two capsules to the preamp (maybe this can wait for the 'upcoming' 8030) or a cable assembly for the same purpose. Or both?

Jez

I am talking about 1 aes42 that outputs 2 mics. I am not aware of anybody that makes one.

45 minutes ago, RadoStefanov said:

I am talking about 1 aes42 that outputs 2 mics. I am not aware of anybody that makes one.

Hi Rado, have a look at the 'Sennheiser vs Neumann' thread I've just resurrected and read John Willett's post about using a single MZD8000 with two microphones. That is what you meant isn't it?  Jez

9 minutes ago, Matthias Richter said:

Terradek receivers to match with any of their TX for less than $300.

i've got everything wireless but need to be cabled to get HD pic?!

Yes! Would be great to be all wireless again. 

Although they're not always on teredek.  

They seem to have no problem renting focus pullers additional receivers. Maybe next time I'll have them added to the camera package. 

4 hours ago, RadoStefanov said:

As usual One unit Maxx2 with internal IE battery , 4 faders, 8 AES in, "different fader assignment" 3 dual wireless modules, 2 SD Cards - primary and mirror, wireless control module inside for use with tablets preferably through browser and not app.

DPA AES42 preamp.

Mini slate for GoPro.

Sounds good to me.  It would be great if the size/weight was more like the current Maxx, for me anyhow.  I could live with a 2- media version in which one "card" was permanently mounted inside the machine (like HDs used to be), it could even be MARF only if there was a choice of format for the removable card.  I don't care if they include wireless RX, although I know that is a big part of your rig--other Zax users will insist on Zaxnet I'm sure, at least.  What do you mean by "different fader assignment"?   The tablet idea is really good--esp if it can avoid an app (is this possible?).   The AES preamp is for hardwired mics?  Go Rado!

2 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

Sounds good to me.  It would be great if the size/weight was more like the current Maxx, for me anyhow.  I could live with a 2- media version in which one "card" was permanently mounted inside the machine (like HDs used to be), it could even be MARF only if there was a choice of format for the removable card.  I don't care if they include wireless RX, although I know that is a big part of your rig--other Zax users will insist on Zaxnet I'm sure, at least.  What do you mean by "different fader assignment"?   The tablet idea is really good--esp if it can avoid an app (is this possible?).   The AES preamp is for hardwired mics?  Go Rado!

Different fader assignment is just a different way to control channels with fader knobs.

2 AES42 and the internal rx connected permanently with AES.

using browser will make the machine control available to all kinds of devices.

Video recording on a 688 or the likes.

Not kidding. 

Have had too many projects saying they can't record separate  with timecode cus I'll be too much of a hassle in post (BS, yes). 

With a video recorded on my mixer with all the tracks synced up, there'd be no such discussion. Only problem i can see is that there would need to be a cable. But it's not really a problem, seeing as those shows would rather have me be tethered with än audio cable with a halfassed stereo mix (boom and mix at the same time) than have  separate tracks. 

It would be a good feature IMHO. Video would still be recorded on camera obviously, but I'd be the only person actually delivering anything to post.

10 minutes ago, Olle Sjostrom said:

Video recording on a 688 or the likes.

Not kidding. 

Have had too many projects saying they can't record separate  with timecode cus I'll be too much of a hassle in post (BS, yes). 

With a video recorded on my mixer with all the tracks synced up, there'd be no such discussion. Only problem i can see is that there would need to be a cable. But it's not really a problem, seeing as those shows would rather have me be tethered with än audio cable with a halfassed stereo mix (boom and mix at the same time) than have  separate tracks. 

It would be a good feature IMHO. Video would still be recorded on camera obviously, but I'd be the only person actually delivering anything to post.

For the USA at least, it would be too hugely complicated between 600 / 695 to figure who is going to do or can do what.  Just seems like a world of pain to try to take on the responsibility of delivering video data.  I have very rarely decided to record an interview on my PIX and turn over ProRES files with audio, but these were for small players where I was the most knowledgable about what they wanted.  I couldn't imagine trying to suggest this for a typical production.  I still work a few jobs where they want a production mix on camera, and in those cases I do my best to deliver, and mostly successfully.  Unless they are working with an older RED or any Blackmagic camera ever made, this is actually possible.  I'm happy enough with the sound that a 5D, new RED, or Alexa can record, not to mention the typical broadcast camera that is actually used when this is relevant with real audio inputs.