Equipment wishes for 2017

Glen Deakin

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 8:30 AM, Richard Thomas said:

The MZD8000 will take 2 mics, although the connector is special order.  John Willett has (or had) one, there's a picture of it on page 2 here: http://www.taperssection.com/reference/pdf/AES - Digital Microphones - AES42 and all that.pdf

Wow...

This is great.

Any idea where I can special order the dual AES42 adapter?

Thanks

5 hours ago, RadoStefanov said:

Wow...

This is great.

Thanks

I think it did come from sennheiser, so possibly your Sennhesier distributor. Sennheiser Germany may be worth a try but I've never been directly in contact with them. I'll probably bump into John at a trade show next week so can ask him if you don't get anything from them

5 hours ago, Richard Thomas said:

I think it did come from sennheiser, so possibly your Sennhesier distributor. Sennheiser Germany may be worth a try but I've never been directly in contact with them. I'll probably bump into John at a trade show next week so can ask him if you don't get anything from them

thank you.

I would love to have a one zeppelin AES42 solution stereo mkh8040 solution... 

7 hours ago, RadoStefanov said:

thank you.

I would love to have a one zeppelin AES42 solution stereo mkh8040 solution... 

That'd be nice- I've got an analogue one in ORTF (mics are back to back with swivel mounts in a rycote AE), although it doesn't get used enough to warrant going AES42.  Also Rycote and/or Cinela might be worth asking as they do use the MZL connectors as part of their windshields

6 hours ago, Pieter said:

A smaller version of the Sound Devices SL-6 Superslot for the SD 633, for 2 dual receivers !! Please SD !!

I don't think there's a way of connecting it to the 633, unfortunately.  (Might be proved wrong after automix was never going to happen)

22 hours ago, RadoStefanov said:

Wow...

This is great.

Thanks

Rado, you must have missed my reply about John Willett and the Sennheiser dig module a few weeks ago. As far as I know, John made up his own cable: working at the time for Sennheiser he was aware that the module was 'stereo ready' even though the cables available were only mono. I agree that Sennheiser really should release a stereo y-cable commercially into the accessory range.

i've bumped the thread where John talked about this (in links to two aes papers) - Daniel's 'Sennheiser vs Neumann' thread which should be close again. John's post is near the end of the thread.

best, Jez

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 8:28 AM, The Immoral Mr Teas said:

Rado, you must have missed my reply about John Willett and the Sennheiser dig module a few weeks ago. As far as I know, John made up his own cable: working at the time for Sennheiser he was aware that the module was 'stereo ready' even though the cables available were only mono. I agree that Sennheiser really should release a stereo y-cable commercially into the accessory range.

i've bumped the thread where John talked about this (in links to two aes papers) - Daniel's 'Sennheiser vs Neumann' thread which should be close again. John's post is near the end of the thread.

best, Jez

Thanks

• 5 months later...
On 11/08/2017 at 7:56 AM, saigon sound man said:

yes !!! :)

and would be curious what a G4 would look like if Sennheiser ever made them. 

Like 2 G2s stuck together (sorry). I would hope a G4 series would have a dual-slot-in RX but so far the only dual-slot-it RX sennheiser have is the EK6042, which is digital and analogue (and while probably decent value, not cheap).

I've found the G2000 system I have to be decent and a dual RX for this would be very nice. Tempted by the 6042 because it would offer a nice migration onto a digital system, and I imagine (partly for this reason) we will never see a dedicated (and cheaper) dual RX for the any of the G series radio mics (even if Sony are doing similar with their UWP stuff and I think you can use Wisycom RX with G series(?).

I would love for zaxcom to make a new recorder that has wireless support control on board. No Morse code / serial adapters...

4 wireless receivers mixplexerII and zaxnet

internal battery 

12 AES3 in turning in to at least 2 AES42

Mix8 emulation support.

internal CF card primary

External SD mirror

Encoder faders for assigning different channels on the fly...4 faders are enough.

OneUnit naturally

47 minutes ago, yophoto91 said:

Had a Maxx for a brief time and was impressed with its feature set, but less so its build quality. Would love to see a Maxx 2.0 with the features mentioned above in a more solid chassis similar to SD quality. That, and a more robust/protected card slot & card release. 

Carbon fiber chassis is solid and light.

6 hours ago, yophoto91 said:

Had a Maxx for a brief time and was impressed with its feature set, but less so its build quality. Would love to see a Maxx 2.0 with the features mentioned above in a more solid chassis similar to SD quality. That, and a more robust/protected card slot & card release. 

Hmm, if you aren't opposed to 2 SD slots where you can easily reach them on the front (which I'm not) perhaps check out the Sonosax R4+ .... but unfortunately you're talking Swiss build quality here (that being a joke for those not familiar with Rolex or the cuckoo clock).

Jez

12 hours ago, ramallo said:

I love this too, also the Mix8 and the FP8 at same time (Fader banks?)

exactly! 

11 hours ago, RadoStefanov said:

I would love for zaxcom to make a new recorder that has wireless support control on board. No Morse code / serial adapters...

4 wireless receivers mixplexerII and zaxnet

internal battery 

12 AES3 in turning in to at least 2 AES42

Mix8 emulation support.

internal CF card primary

External SD mirror

Encoder faders for assigning different channels on the fly...4 faders are enough.

OneUnit naturally

I think this would be amazing. But it would be very expensive. And if you do not have zax wireless it would not make sense. Sound Devices take on this is the SL-6 which I think is very nice. 

9 hours ago, The Immoral Mr Teas said:

Hmm, if you aren't opposed to 2 SD slots where you can easily reach them on the front (which I'm not) perhaps check out the Sonosax R4+ .... but unfortunately you're talking Swiss build quality here (that being a joke for those not familiar with Rolex or the cuckoo clock).

Jez

If anything recorders are made too strong now days... 😀

11 hours ago, The Immoral Mr Teas said:

Jez

From The Third Man:

"Holly, I'd like to cut you in, old man. There's nobody left in Vienna I can really trust and we've always done everything together. When you make up your mind, send me a message - I'll meet you any place, any time, and when we do meet old man, it's you I want to see, not the police. Remember that, won't ya? Don't be so gloomy.

After all it's not that awful. You know what the fellow said– in Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace – and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly."

I understand that Orson Welles improvised the dialog in that second paragraph. In any event, the historical perspective expressed is a little wonky; the Swiss at that time had one of the most formidable armies in Europe and the cuckoo clock was a German product. And I think (but I'd have to check) that both Leonardo and Michelangelo were active before the ascension of the Borgias. But it's a memorable speech and it comes unbidden to the forefront of my mind whenever I hear the words "cuckoo clock."

David