Equipment wishes for 2017

Glen Deakin

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking strictly bag work. On large productions like commercials or fiction it's obviously totally unnecessary ; there's probably a DIT on set. And usually on those types of productions the post team is a lot more knowledgeable. 

Where it's be really useful is on small scale ENG productions where you, the camera person and maybe another person is the only team. Usually those kinds of productions have very fast turnarounds and very newbie post team. Very newbie everything, except the sound and camera people... 

I totally get that it's a niche market, but still. A feature, or even add-in on a mixer. The PIX is great but not handy in a bag. And the union thing, well I'm totally oblivious there. 

The trend has been to make the camera be the recorder of both pix and sound in a "one piece/single system" rig, over many years now, this being considered the most flexible arrangement, with good reason.  A camera can be made to be a decent if basic audio recorder (Arri, Sony F55) and can be fed wireless audio by a number of pretty sophisticated systems these days.  Picture recording "off-camera" still requires a cable, a pretty stiff and uncooperative cable at that.  As I said, this has worked for very specific sorts of setups (esp old-school multicam video), but is probably too inflexible, too hassleous and too slow for what current directors expect, I'd say.

On 1/14/2017 at 2:30 PM, Philip Perkins said:

I want to see what comes next in the small-but-powerful bag recorder zone.  What comes after 633/Nomad/RX4+?  Will F8 be improved enough to become the new standard?   Will a Maxx v2 be the new deal?  Bring it, folks!

Meanwhile--let's hear from someone who has really tortured an F8, like weather, vibration, drops, dust, sweat etc etc and lived to tell the tale!

I strongly doubt Sound Devices / Zaxcom / Sonosax will release an 8 XLR input recorder in anywhere near the F8 price point!

Instead it is much more likely a 633 mk2 ("644"??) or similar will be announced, and it will be at around the price of a 633 (or even higher). 

What I believe/hope however is that this year Tascam will release their response to Zoom's F4/F8 attack....   (& soon! Otherwise I will just given in and buy a Zoom F4, or maybe an F8)

On 1/15/2017 at 6:03 AM, daniel said:

Mono XLR recorder (like DR-10x) with p48 power (a stereo line I/P option would be 'gravy').

Saramonic SR-VRM1 has phantom power:

https://www.amazon.com/Saramonic-SR-VRM1-Digital-Recorder-Microphones/dp/B01M6V955P/

Unfortunately it lacks the safety track recording feature of the Tascam DR10X. 

I want to get one of these, but it is tricky, as neither has both of the features I want! (phantom power + safety track recording)

On 1/15/2017 at 8:21 AM, Tom Visser said:

3 channel mixer, 2 channel recorder with sunlight visible meters.

Soooo.... like a Sound Devices 552? But with two less inputs.

On 1/16/2017 at 2:48 AM, axel said:

- CPU upgrade for my brain: 8 core minimum @ 5,2 Ghz, suggested layout:

• core 1-4 for monitoring up to 12 iso tracks simultaneously as if listening in mono mode; alternativly only 8 ISOs, but with frameline clear™  boom drop-in and reflection control on 2 HD monitors
  • core 5 for proper mixing 10+ isos with anticipation of erroneous cues and automatic overlap detector
  • core 6 for notes & memory (permanentely updating and keeping in mind all adjustements necessary for the next take, next setup, next scene and day after tomorrow)
  • core 7 for proper multi level communication including automatic timeslot detector for talking to director, 1st AD, DOP and main cast 
  • core 8 reserved for humour and friendliness on set

Hahaha! Best suggestion yet!

I don't think the hardware will change so much. I would like to see big updates in "firmware land" for Ambisonic as Suso Ramallo posted.

- Audio Ltd 1010 Plug-on Transmitter & miniTX Transmitter

- Audio Ltd 1010 Dual Channel Receiver (not only in slot-in chassis)

- Zaxcom DEVA 24 must hit the market

- Sound Devices 8 Series Line, starting with a small track recorder (4 Mic/Line, 4 AES3/42, 8 Track) with embedded ACN Network

- Sennheiser G4 Digital Line

- DPA Figure 8 capsule

2 hours ago, chrismedr said:

.. and about a quarter the size/weight  ; )

Also sunlight visible metering, would sort of like them to go back to the hi powered LEDs rather than LCD.  I figure with only 3 inputs, you don't need a fancy LCD menu, just good old fashioned LCR switches, variable LCF, etc...

On 1/18/2017 at 1:52 AM, chrismedr said:

.. and about a quarter the size/weight  ; )

Ah yes, that is easily what I like the least about my 552! Especially once paired with my Tascam DR680 (& their respective external batteries) I've then ended up with a beasty bag :-/ Rather go slimmer!

This reminds me also, would be fantastic if Sound Devices (or if another company did that) brought back the Sound Devices MM-2! As that paired with any of the many cheap consumer XLR portable recorders on the market now would be a great starting points for a newbie / student. As would be very basic but "cheap", yet have great pre amps.

Johnny just gave me another thought....  auto mix capabilities please in the Zoom F4 & F8, plus also in Tascam's next recorder as well!

Sound Devices 716 or 724

As in 16 or 24 inputs, right? Because it sounds smaller...
if yes, I agree! And have mentioned it here many times.

Also I am hoping for a bigger CL-9 or CL-12, or whatever any other company might offer.
By bigger I don't mean more faders, but generally more buttons and pots. Especially pots. Like on the CL-9 for EQ we have frequency, Q, and gain. Why not have one pot for each control? Solo buttons AND mute buttons... etc. I don't like to remember my cassette player/recorder, but I liked its big latch-on buttons. You know when they'vr engaged. Something like that on a controller would be awesome

20 hours ago, Johnny Karlsson said:

Auto Mix for  the 633.

Lectrosonics - please make it possible to pick the 3 block range with the wide band series, such as 19, 20, 21 / 20, 21, 22 (A-2, B-2?)

Is it possible to put 'Auto Mix' or 'Mix Assist' into 633? I Like the idea of a mini-6 fader (CL?) too. Maybe the 2 combined. 

48 minutes ago, daniel said:

Is it possible to put 'Auto Mix' or 'Mix Assist' into 633? I Like the idea of a mini-6 fader (CL?) too. Maybe the 2 combined. 

So far they say no MA or AM, not enough DSP, ditto with 664.  But there is a lot of interest in having this feature in 633......so.....a retrofit? SD has never done that--a hardware upgrade (except for hard disks), they usually come out with a new model.   But who knows?  

7 hours ago, Constantin said:

As in 16 or 24 inputs, right? Because it sounds smaller...
if yes, I agree! And have mentioned it here many times.

Yes as in 16 or 24 inputs. If they feel obliged to make a new control surface for these devices I wouldn't hate that either. But I really like the layout of the CL-9 vs the CL-12. I absolutely hate the rec buttons on the CL-12 (the size and position), and the fact that the user buttons which need to be used on anything but the 688 don't actually activate the TB mic, just toggle the switch, which means that if you are in PFL mode, you change the output routing :P I much prefer the purpose built CL-9.