DPA 4098 Travel cases

KGraham045

• 1 year later...
On 1/19/2017 at 5:45 AM, Nate C said:

Same as Diego, I use the Countryman pencil case thingy. Two 4098's, Two Zax and two Lectro micro dot adaptors plus two Rycote mini Fluffies. 

Nate C, curious about these Rycote mini Fluffies, can you elaborate on those? I will have a look around for more ideas to improve wind protection on the 4098’s, recently had some car rig scenarios with an open window and a crossbreeze was beating up the stock foamies.

3 hours ago, lazajamsonic said:

Nate C, curious about these Rycote mini Fluffies, can you elaborate on those? I will have a look around for more ideas to improve wind protection on the 4098’s, recently had some car rig scenarios with an open window and a crossbreeze was beating up the stock foamies.

I believe they are the ones designed for 4099 mics. Someone here should be able to confirm that. Sorry I'm not 100% positive.

I got them from either Trew Audio or Pinknoise in the UK. 

To reduce the opening, I tacked them up in the middle .

They help with wind but aren't an end all solution. Think of of them like a softie on a boom, they hold up in light wind only. I find you really need to get them out of the path of airflow as much as possible.

Cheers Nate.

http://mymic.rycote.com/products/dpa-4099-mini-windjammer/

• 2 weeks later...

My experience with the extreme fragility of the 4098 would lead me to some sort of hard case solution. I was recently working on a show that killed several of them.

If I was being really cynical about it, I could almost suspect DPA is increasing aftersales by supplying inadequate protection in their packing materials and in their supplied soft cases.

A 4098 mic I recently purchased, arrived in a cardboard box with two flat pieces of mini eggshell foam.  Unfortunately the mic wasn't secured in any way and was no longer sandwiched between the two pieces of foam but had slipped into the unprotected space between the foam and the card board box.

Extremely unimpressed by that.

My current protection choice for the 4098 is a thickly foamed, plastic shell case that my Etymotic ER-4 in-ear monitors came in - now that's a protective case!

Cheers,

Brent Calkin 

Yes, I agree they are not well packed. I have both the 15cm version and the 30cm version. The 15cm I keep in a Countryman B6 case, which offer some protection and the 30cm version I have in a square aluminium tube, like you can get easily in any hardware store. That works pretty well, whereas the 15cm hast a broken tube bit, which is indeed annoying, but I think that happened in action rather than inside the case

Here's maybe a good option. The cases we make for the UniFlex 4080 are also great for the DPA 4098. They are not only sturdy, but clear so you can see if the mic is inside, and have enough room for the MicroDot adapter, too. The pics below show a 4098 inside.

IMG_8485.jpg

IMG_8486.jpg

23 hours ago, Glen Trew said:

Here's maybe a good option. The cases we make for the UniFlex 4080 are also great for the DPA 4098. They are not only sturdy, but clear so you can see if the mic is inside, and have enough room for the MicroDot adapter, too. The pics below show a 4098 inside.

IMG_8485.jpg

IMG_8486.jpg

Hi Glen,do you have the UniFlex 4080 in stock right now?I might need two,can't find it on your website anyhow.

Hi Eric. The short answer is yes, if you need the MicroDot version. Another batch of the TA5 version will be produced soon.

The back story:

We stopped making the UniFlex 4080 mini gooseneck mic because the micromesh interference tubes were not on DPA's list of available parts, making it impossible for us to repair/replace. This part usually broke during the first usage, before the crew learned to not bend the gooseneck by pressing on the tip of the mic. Once that is understood, they tend to last without a problem. The availability of the micromesh interference tubes has now been resolved, so we will be able to replace these broken or missing parts if/when needed and will start making the UniFlex 4080 cardioid again.

The good news is that we've gotten a lot of good responses from crews using the UniFlex plant mic. The cardioid pattern is ideal as a close plant mic, particularly in cars, but also other applications. The other good news is that the assembly has been improved. It is lower profile than before, and the powder coating (difficult to do on a flexible gooseneck) is more durable.

GT

• 3 months later...
On 6/24/2018 at 4:30 AM, Nate C said:

To reduce the opening, I tacked them up in the middle .

They help with wind but aren't an end all solution. Think of of them like a softie on a boom, they hold up in light wind only. I find you really need to get them out of the path of airflow as much as possible.

Thanks for this reply @Nate C, way back in June.. I ended up buying a couple of these and totally echo the sentiments you shared. +1 for tacking down the middle opening, surprised Rycote didn’t build them closed all the way around. 

Interesting to see see how people are packing their 4098’s. I keep mine in the two DPA pencil cases the kits came with, lid mounted with some Velcro to the inside of my boom mic Pelican briefcase, so they don’t really need hard cases of their own. Complete with Rycote mini jammers,  microdot to TA5 adapters, microdot to XLR adapters, and microdot extension cables.

• 2 weeks later...

i used one of the kids used pencil cases they use for school. got a second one at the container store during back to school supplies time. its a small hard case with two sides. i keep the mics with a bit of foam for protection and on the other side i keep the microdot extension cables all in one package. i can throw it in a pelican case and feel good about them being safe and not getting crushed. that travel tooth brush ideas is stellar!

https://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Apple-Leather-Carrying-Samsung-x/dp/B06XQXM89Z/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1542205231&sr=8-4&keywords=MoKo+Holder+Case+for+Apple+Pencil

They are PU leather ie. synthetic, which is good.
Firm re-inforced sides not all squishy.
3 pin Lemo adapters in place or XLR phantom adapters too...

Moko.jpg