Worth it to keep CMIT5u once I have superCMIT?

Phantompwr

I actually agree with Phantompwr's findings.

After reading this topic, I put both mics side by side and compared the hiss. Personally, I would say that both mics are equally hissy, but the frequency band of the hiss is different for both mics. The hiss of the Super is in a higher register and this makes it seem "hissier", than that of the CMIT, and so it's much more obvious and harsher. The hiss of the CMIT is in a lower register and seems to blend better into the background (depending on the background, of course) and it doesn't sound so harsh. Although I remember that before I got the Super I was eventually getting so annoyed by the CMIT's noise that I eventually moved to the 4017.

I would say though, that I believe that the higher hiss of the Super will be easier to remove in post.

In the end it's still a very nice sounding mic.

Question for those who use the SuperCMIT with the Zaxcom 742: have you ever had a chance to compare a SuperCMIT on a cable next to a SuperCMIT on the 742?

(Note to myself: stop saying "hiss")

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2017 at 9:55 AM, Matthias Richter said:

if you are planning to use the unprocessed ch often you still gonna need the 5U. The SuperCmit is just not usable in a quiet location with low level dialog.

agreed.  i own both, i no longer use the super for anything quiet.

speaking of which, anyone ever experience the super being gradually swamped by self noise?  it's usually acceptably quiet, but every now and then it'll slowly so hissy that i'll need to swap it out.  no idea what causes this, it happens indoors and outdoors, city and country, humid and dry ...

noisy super cmit.wav

3 hours ago, trombles said:

agreed.  i own both, i no longer use the super for anything quiet.

speaking of which, anyone ever experience the super being gradually swamped by self noise?  it's usually acceptably quiet, but every now and then it'll slowly so hissy that i'll need to swap it out.  no idea what causes this, it happens indoors and outdoors, city and country, humid and dry ...

noisy super cmit.wav

Hi, I must have gotten the only perfectly functioning super. I just have no problems with it.

Sincerely, Martin