How often do you get clean lines on lavs?

RyanDoesSound

Most of the time, I get clean lines on lavs. I was lucky enough to intern on a series where I got to be totally responsible for lav placement, which taught me a lot about wiring! The mixer was strict about getting clean lavs and I always got to check how they sounded. I still have a lot to learn, though! My limited experience would indicate that it's more about the location of the lav than it is about the mounting. Concealers can help, but I feel like it's often possible to get a clean lav just by finding the right spot and mounting the mic with tape. Breathing room around the mic is good, but even when nothing is touching the capsule (or covering it entirely, which to me is ideal for the sound), layers of fabric rubbing against each other can still result in rustle. Something as simple as asking the talent to pull their shoulders back or to move their arms a bit and looking at where the lav is can help with finding the right placement, just see where the fabric either doesn't move or moves the least.

It's also a good idea to look at mounting lavs in hats, when possible. Very little chance of rustle and a very natural sound, at least with DPA 4060s! Hiding the wire itself may be a bit trickier, though.

On 1/26/2017 at 5:27 PM, jason porter said:

Yes!

I don't do narrative work. Doc, lifestyle, "reality" etc.

My wires have to be perfect all of the time (OK, 95%) NOTHING will build your lav-hiding chops like working on a lifestyle construction/renovation show. 

But... at least with modern reality you are dealing with modern clothing, which tends to make for less game ending situations than period costumes (especially if wardrobe insist on old fabrics). My pet hate atm is circa 1900 men's shirts - the ones with a kind of cardboard collar and bib arrangement at the front. It is basically a sheet of creaky cardboard in the exact spot where you want to put a lav mic. Happy days.... sb

No way no way of putting anything on the woman even a MM400

as wardrobe did not want any weight in the back of the bikini bra

So I planted a Sonotrim in a white custom windshield on a towel near her.

The guy, well a black B6 woven into his hair and pack gaffered behind him

Quite good results for the wide shots

mike