SGS 2.4GHz Amp Field Reports

THSnodgrass

Would love to hear how the new Sound Guy Solutions 2.4GHz 1w amp is performing out in the field. A few specific questions would be where are you mounting the amp? Its seems to be geared more for bag work since it comes with a belt clip. Are you clipping it to your harness?

Also, has anyone had the boosted 2.4GHz find its way into your wireless mics/comteks etc? I've had to deal with the "Zaxnet Whine" getting into my Comtek M-216 tx before. And that was with the 75mW RF output power of my IFB200... makes me wonder if the 1W output power would be asking for trouble.

Side note: Should I be worried (health wise) about strapping a 2.4GHz 1W amp to my body??

THSnoddgrass, I also had the issue of Zaxnet whine on my M-216 transmitter. Switching to the BST-75 216 in my bag, with balanced input has eliminated the whine for me with my Nomad 12 Zaxnet transmitter. On the M-216 you could start hearing the whine with Zaxnet power set to 4 or 5 (of 7), I believe Nomad uses a 50mw transmitter. 

If you read the post on FB, the problem is that the manufacturer doesn't have FCC approval, and apparently doesn't care to get it.
I am guessing that basically SGS found a *close* amp on the market that they thought was approved, and was getting the manufacturer to tweak it slightly to their specs for what we need.
Hopefully they will investigate a different manufacturer that has FCC approval. Knowing how long they've been working on this, I wouldn't expect a replacement product super quick..... unless they had a Plan B manufacturer all along.

On 1/31/2017 at 1:10 PM, RScottATL said:

THSnoddgrass, I also had the issue of Zaxnet whine on my M-216 transmitter. Switching to the BST-75 216 in my bag, with balanced input has eliminated the whine for me with my Nomad 12 Zaxnet transmitter. On the M-216 you could start hearing the whine with Zaxnet power set to 4 or 5 (of 7), I believe Nomad uses a 50mw transmitter. 

I've definitely been considering the BST-75 in my bag. I have a buddy that already uses one so I should probably test it out and see if the Zax whine gets in. I'm using an IFB200 so the output is a bit higher (75mW), but I'm hoping the build of the BST-75 will do a better job of keeping spurious RF out. I have also heard people report that the whine can get in via power so I'd have to test if powering the BST-75 and IFB200 off of the same distro is a problem. Glad to hear you had success with the BST though.. definitely near the top of my purchase list since it will only be a few hundred dollars if I sell of the M216.

Sound Guys 2.4GHz Amp Update

As many of you know the amp we've been working on for over a year unfortunately will not be available through Sound Guys Solutions and or any of our dealers. 

The company manufacturing the amp for us had falsified FCC documents for this particular product.  They have unfortunately no interest in correcting this issue. Not being the manufacture I can't do anything with the FCC about it either.

The amp will still be available on a site yet to be determined.  As a note 90% of the amps on the market are not FCC approved and if they are, they are designed to work with a specific piece of equipment.  For example any amplifier that comes as a kit must be used as a kit. The moment you remove one of the pieces it is no longer FCC approved. The end-user is overall responsible to make sure they are operating within the FCC rules, not so much whether or not an amp is FCC approved. 

The amp we had designed works great in a bag and even better on a cart.  In a bag it does not play nice with an M-216, but I had multiple beta test users using it with a BST-75/216. On the cart I haven't had any issues whatsoever.

If anybody is still interested in purchasing the amp please email me and I will forward you the purchasing information as soon as I have it. Thank you

gene @ audiodept.com

Gene Martin