So much illegal 700MHz wireless equipment on eBay

Tom Duffy

After the 2009 closedown of the 700MHz spectrum, manufacturers did a good job of educating users & providing upgrade paths.  newly obsolete equipment sold on eBay seemed to be fairly carefully worded "for export only".   Any that didn't sell was expected to be trashed over time.

I carefully dismantled and recycled my Audio Technica kit I used for PA gigs, which had become worthless...

Forward 7 years, and all that obsolete 700MHz band equipment is boldly available on eBay, no disclaimers or warnings to the purchaser.

If/when the 600Mhz band gets chopped up, expect to see the same - some self-restraint in used sales for a couple of years, then free-for-all.

Am I too idealogic, hoping that something being illegal actually affected people's behavior even though it impacts their ability to make a quick buck?

Interesting topic. I'll probably be in the same boat, selling some 630mhz+ gear within the next few years.. I thought about it briefly, and I think my approach will be to inform the buyer of the situation if they're not already aware. After that, if they still want to buy it great. Not really my business what they do with. 

I certainly dont don't feel compelled to dismantle the gear or sell only overseas just to help out the auction winners. 

The regular resellers like Trew et al usually have notices on their consignments sites about usage of those now-non-legal wireless blocks in the USA.  When I recently sold some Block 27-28-29 Lectros through Trew they sold them to overseas customers, all of them.   But private sales are just that, private.   I think if I was selling one of those 700Mz band wirelesses directly I might try to gauge the buyer's knowledge, like do they understand the current spectrum situation re those blocks.  MANY more casual users of wireless mics than those that frequent this forum are completely clueless about the past and future changes.

• 4 weeks later...

To be honest, I kind of take the view that this is the buyer's responsibility. If you sell them worldwide it's impossible to know what's legal where. Although I do state in my auctions (so far only Sennh G3) that the buyer needs to check for this themselves.

Question: is it illegal to own these things or is it illegal to use them?

41 minutes ago, Tom Duffy said:

Blood pressure rising...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Limited-Envoy-Wireless-Systems-4-Available-/322421159423

From another auction by the same seller:

"I am a professional sound mixer of 24 years."  "I am known in the industry world wide"

At least he's stated the freqs. I've seen listings for radio kit with nothing about the freqs.

19 minutes ago, Constantin said:

Question: is it illegal to own these things or is it illegal to use them?

From https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/distribution-sale-and-use-wireless-microphones-operating-700-mhz-band-prohibited

"As of January 15, 2010, the FCC prohibits the import, sale, offer for sale or shipment of wireless microphones and other low power auxiliary stations (i.e. similar devices) intended for use in the 700 MHz Band in the United States. "

So strictly, even selling on ebay in the US for shipping outside the US is covered.

Thanks Rachel you have made my day!

mike

7 hours ago, Constantin said:

Interesting, thanks! Now I should find out what the situation is in the EU. Although I don't own any illegal frequency bands

It's all changing in the UK according to a friend who visited me last month

I understand that to approved block they have used for years is no longer

I think the 700 area

Maybe check with Bash (Simon Bishop) often posts stuff on this group

Cheers

mike

That's not really news. It was already decided at the World Radio Conference in 2012.
you should follow these conferences if you want to find out early what's going to happen to our spectrum a few years down the line.

On Wednesday, March 08, 2017 at 8:07 AM, daniel said:

At least he's stated the freqs. I've seen listings for radio kit with nothing about the freqs.

Those auctions send me crazy, & there are so many of them! But sometimes you get lucky and figure out the frequency from looking carefully at the pictures  (& you snag yourself a bargain because most people don't bid on it due to lack of info).

22 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Those auctions send me crazy, & there are so many of them! But sometimes you get lucky and figure out the frequency from looking carefully at the pictures  (& you snag yourself a bargain because most people don't bid on it due to lack of info).

Yep.  I just got an Azden 105 Tx/Rx pair (560MHz-590MHz) for $41 because the box was missing the handheld mic.  It's not diversity Rx, but perfect for a DSLR scratch track hop.

On 3/8/2017 at 6:06 PM, Constantin said:

That's not really news. It was already decided at the World Radio Conference in 2012.
you should follow these conferences if you want to find out early what's going to happen to our spectrum a few years down the line.

Second that. the WRC is the place where one needs representation in the first place - in the first place setup where they purportedly decide on spectrum (re-)allocation...