Deva questions

Mike Borlace

Have read the Deva manual and have a couple of questions.

1)  there is a time code reference button with 2 choices: XTAL or AES.  The 2004 manual gives a description of each choice.  However, the 2006 manual gives the same description and then says the button has no effect and always use the XTAL position.  I'm left wondering why you are given a choice that you can't use.  Can anyone explain these choices?

2)  With all the functions that the Deva can do, is it possible to run low or run out of resources when recording?  Would you get an warning message similar to what happens with a computer?  Could the recorder create errors in the files recording or stop recording?

2)  With all the functions that the Deva can do, is it possible to run low or run out of resources when recording?  Would you get an warning message similar to what happens with a computer?  Could the recorder create errors in the files recording or stop recording?

I cannot answer the first question regarding the timecoe options but I can answer the second question about system resources. The CPU/DSP utilized in the Deva IV/V has been throughly tested with EVERYTHING running that requires processor power, all tracks enabled, and the processor chips I believe have been sized accordingly --- it won't run out of horsepower to the best of my knowledge. There were some problems with the early Devas regarding 48 volt phantom power if all 8 inputs were being used and it was reported that the machine could not adequately supply full 48 volts to all inputs. This has been corrected (and this is not specifically what your question relates to but I thought I would mention it).

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Mike,

The Aes/XTL choice refers to sync for the Deva.  For instance if you were using the Cameo mixer and taking the AES inputs, you could use the Cameo for sync through the AES inputs. Though if you were to bust off and go over the shouder , you would have to go back to internal XTL sync. I know someone that discovered this the hard way.

LL