Sound devices SD mute outputs .

nevo

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Asses aside--I think adding some version of that output mute thing (like to the Auxes) would be great.  It does (as was said) need 3 modes: off, on in pause, on during recording.  I'm not sure how the middle one would get implemented, since the whole point is to automate the mute for forgetful harassed soundies.  Would the "rehearsal mode" be an override?  Via what control (can't be buried in a menu)? 

7 hours ago, Johnny Karlsson said:

If implemented, I wish it would be selectable which tracks to auto-mute. For example to keep the boom fader up, or an input (or return?) to play some tunes while cut. Having some sound go to the Comteks at all times will save you from the "I think my Comtek is broken...".

Very good point! Having routing change when record is hit.

I think it was the ass wipe abilities of Aaton Cantar X3

It was, but in-between Bash said that Zaxcom did it, too. By context that could be referring to the wiping.

Hello, I have no idea what was meant by that last post. Post 25 that is. Maybe I have to go back and read what everyone said.  Sincerely, Martin 

Posts #4 - #8 within this thread may help

Hello, Can an adult who reads this and has knowledge of the following please respond;

How on a Zaxcom are you utilizing the needed ability discussed here? Mechanically, how are you achieving this with your Zaxcom? I am asking because I don't know if I am already doing "x" in some fashion and I am just not aware this is something special or different.

Sincerely, Martin 

18 minutes ago, MartinTheMixer said:

Hello, Can an adult who reads this and has knowledge of the following please respond;

How on a Zaxcom are you utilizing the needed ability discussed here? Mechanically, how are you achieving this with your Zaxcom? I am asking because I don't know if I am already doing "x" in some fashion and I am just not aware this is something special or different.

Sincerely, Martin 

I hope to understand, here is a suggestion topic for Sound Devices; mute outputs.

Maybe you can find an answer to your question here & here.

50 minutes ago, MartinTheMixer said:

Hi, Can a human who's used this feature just tell me. I don't want to hear from somebody who knows their cousins best friends Led Zeppelin's Road manager did it, someone who's actually done this just tell me how they did it. Thank you.

Martin 

Daniel, It's not a matter of my level of happiness. I would consider the sentence that I wrote, "less features=less learning" to be a fact. It takes less learning to be a photographer, than it does to be a brain surgeon. The other sentence you mentioned "if you are lazy or won't or can't read, buy something easy to learn." If someone tells you that are all Zaxcom and they didn't read the manual, run. They are not being truthful. I have had sales people tell me that customers return Zaxcom because they couldn't "figure it out". That's on the customer, not Zaxcom. If you drop out of brain surgery school because you can't figure it out, it's probably not the schools fault. There are simply two types of people in this world, the type that can read a lot and the type that can't. There used to be an hour's meter indicating how much usage a Nomad had on it when you turned it on. I bought my first Nomad used and it had 5 hours on it. Somebody had given up on learning their mixer after 5 hours of use. Maybe they didn't know how to read, I don't know. I do know that I got a bargain on that unit. There are people that don't know how to read and that is sad. There are people that don't take the time to read because they're too busy going out getting drunk at a bar. There are some people that can't learn outside of a structured classroom setting. Regardless of your work practices you are going to have to do a lot of reading with Zaxcom. These statements by me are not dismissive of anything. Other than  to reference it here, you won't see me use the term "RTFM". There are times when you can read that Manual and it's just not going to sink in. Then I think it is appropriate to get on a website such as this and ask a simple question. Sometimes things just don't click in your head, that's human nature. If you simply want to read a lot less, buy something other than Zaxcom. The other thing that you buy will have less features and subsequently will have less reading, this is just a fact. 

Sincerely, Martin 

6 minutes ago, daniel said:

Daniel, It's not a matter of my level of happiness. I would consider the sentence that I wrote, "less features=less learning" to be a fact. It takes less learning to be a photographer, than it does to be a brain surgeon. The other sentence you mentioned "if you are lazy or won't or can't read, buy something easy to learn." If someone tells you that are all Zaxcom and they didn't read the manual, run. They are not being truthful. I have had sales people tell me that customers return Zaxcom because they couldn't "figure it out". That's on the customer, not Zaxcom. If you drop out of brain surgery school because you can't figure it out, it's probably not the schools fault. There are simply two types of people in this world, the type that can read a lot and the type that can't. There used to be an hour's meter indicating how much usage a Nomad had on it when you turned it on. I bought my first Nomad used and it had 5 hours on it. Somebody had given up on learning their mixer after 5 hours of use. Maybe they didn't know how to read, I don't know. I do know that I got a bargain on that unit. There are people that don't know how to read and that is sad. There are people that don't take the time to read because they're too busy going out getting drunk at a bar. There are some people that can't learn outside of a structured classroom setting. Regardless of your work practices you are going to have to do a lot of reading with Zaxcom. These statements by me are not dismissive of anything. Other than  to reference it here, you won't see me use the term "RTFM". There are times when you can read that Manual and it's just not going to sink in. Then I think it is appropriate to get on a website such as this and ask a simple question. Sometimes things just don't click in your head, that's human nature. If you simply want to read a lot less, buy something other than Zaxcom. The other thing that you buy will have less features and subsequently will have less reading, this is just a fact. 

Sincerely, Martin 

How many failures to answer a simple question can we have? I don't believe there exists such a feature. This is why I am asking. That so many have failed to respond to this post tells me that no one has seen Bigfoot, they just think they know someone who thinks they know someone that has seen Bigfoot. If someone knew how this could possibly be accomplished, they would have simply replied with an answer instead of all these non-answers. I guess this is an admission of all who have responded with clever non-responses that they can't make this function work and just can't admit it. Merely sitting back and waiting for someone to hopefully come up with an answer, so they can then say "yea, I knew that".

This is all a dramatic departure from the original post... even for me..LOL   enough is enough...   Maybe change to the ZAX threads on a similar subject...  or... forget it... the pissing match is probably not what folks are interested in.. 

Martin, if you have a question you want answered about a ZAX item, call them... seems easy enough for me..

1 minute ago, afewmoreyears said:

This is all a dramatic departure from the original post... even for me..LOL   enough is enough...   Maybe change to the ZAX threads on a similar subject...  or... forget it... the pissing match is probably not what folks are interested in.. 

Martin, if you have a question you want answered about a ZAX item, call them... seems easy enough for me..

I don't have any questions about Zaxcom items. I have a question about people. Humans. Not devices. A human made reference to a way they used their Zaxcom. I don't think there exists any way to do what they are saying. Maybe somebody Soldered aGizmo on the side of his Zaxcom, I don't know only the people that are claiming to have this can tell us. 

A human made reference to a way they used their Zaxcom.

Apparently, you did not read posts #4-8. I had suggested to you that perhaps no-one made the claim that Zaxcom had an auto mute function.
I mean if you can't find it in the manual who can?
Or we patiently wait for Bash to clarify his statement, if he feels so inclined, or for someone else who knows this auto mute on Zaxcom recorders. Although sometimes the silence tells the story.

On 2/16/2017 at 7:44 PM, Bash said:

Zaxcom has had this for quite a while ;-)

Bash, Are you going to regale us with your tales of how you accomplished this with Zaxcom?

Sincerely, Martin 

2 minutes ago, Constantin said:

Apparently, you did not read posts #4-8. I had suggested to you that perhaps no-one made the claim that Zaxcom had an auto mute function.
I mean if you can't find it in the manual who can?
Or we patiently wait for Bash to clarify his statement, if he feels so inclined, or for someone else who knows this auto mute on Zaxcom recorders. Although sometimes the silence tells the story.

Constantin, Thank you. 

Sincerely, Martin 

1 hour ago, MartinTheMixer said:

I don't have any questions about Zaxcom items. I have a question about people. Humans. Not devices. A human made reference to a way they used their Zaxcom. I don't think there exists any way to do what they are saying. Maybe somebody Soldered aGizmo on the side of his Zaxcom, I don't know only the people that are claiming to have this can tell us. 

Then put your request about humans in a separate post in General Discussion....  ask away all you like... but enough already with the rant on this thread... please. 

5 minutes ago, afewmoreyears said:

Then put your request about humans in a separate post in General Discussion....  ask away all you like... but enough already with the rant on this thread... please. 

Hello, I don't think I'm ranting, I guess your referring to me. I don't think anyone else ranted, they would have had to say something in order to "rant". I'm not sure why start the same conversation somewhere else. We are all right here. We are not at the library and we're too loud and need to go outside. You saw that I asked Bash what he was talking about. If he doesn't answer, that is the end of it. 

Sincerely, Martin 

18 minutes ago, nevo said:

Back on topic....Yes mutes on selectable outputs would be very helpful.....
I have to switch out comtek feed over 200 times in a typical day.... its abit of a drag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nevo, when you say you have to switch them out what are you mechanically doing and for that matter why are you doing it? 

Sincerely, Martin

It's explained in the very first post, but basically I have a physical switch with a flashing LED, that I turn off and on between takes

It known on set as the "shut the f$&k "up button

22 hours ago, MartinTheMixer said:

Hello, I have no idea what was meant by that last post. Post 25 that is. Maybe I have to go back and read what everyone said. 

Sincerely, Martin 

Apologies. I deliberately didn't go into great detail as to how to do this on a Zaxcom machine, as the OP asked about SD. But..... since you ask, On a Zaxcom you go top the OP routing page, then hit 'more', 'more', 'more' (iirc) and you then get a different set of OP grids that relate to when the machine is in 'stop', 'record', or 'play' modes.

On a Cantar X3 there is a special page that allows to you set different OP routing for each position of the main rotor switch. The Aaton has more available options than the Zaxcom, but the Zax has as many as I have ever needed ;-)

So now you all know ;-)

50 minutes ago, Bash said:

Apologies. I deliberately didn't go into great detail as to how to do this on a Zaxcom machine, as the OP asked about SD. But..... since you ask, On a Zaxcom you go top the OP routing page, then hit 'more', 'more', 'more' (iirc) and you then get a different set of OP grids that relate to when the machine is in 'stop', 'record', or 'play' modes.

On a Cantar X3 there is a special page that allows to you set different OP routing for each position of the main rotor switch. The Aaton has more available options than the Zaxcom, but the Zax has as many as I have ever needed ;-)

So now you all know ;-)

Bash, Ok, and your next best guess on how to do this with Zaxcom would be??

Sincerely, Martin 

9 hours ago, MartinTheMixer said:

Bash, Ok, and your next best guess on how to do this with Zaxcom would be??

Sincerely, Martin 

I am not so sure that you are being sincere Martin ;-) I think I shall leave you to this thread. My work is done ;-) sb