Rycote Baseball

Richard Thomas

These are out now as a production model- I've done some testing with a pre production one and they work rather well booming with MKH8050 and 8040, reducing the noise on swings, they're quite acoustically transparent and add a bit of light wind protection:

http://rycote.com/microphone-windshield-shock-mount/baseball/

17 hours ago, VAS said:

Any info about chroma key?

We've started in black (very creative of us) but to make different colours isn't too difficult if there's a demand.

18 hours ago, Mobilemike said:

Cool! 

How would this compare to a super softie on those mics? Less wind protection, more transparent?

-Mike

Mike - The Baseball is only 75mm (3") diameter, so performs much less than the larger Super-Softie in terms of wind reduction. It's really as a step up from a regular foam gag, but below that of say the BBG windshield to reduce the "swoosh" from fast re-cue's. The structure is an open cell foam, exactly the same as in the Super & Classic-Softies, with a fine version of the fleece from our original Hi Wind Covers. The Baseball is finished off with a very fine rubber seal on the back - which is smaller than the Softie end cap, and therefore less likely to cause any reflections.

Cheers, Simon

56 minutes ago, Derek H said:

Would adding a windjammer on top make an effective outdoor windscreen?

Yes, we've had some of the beta-testers who've added a Windjammer to give additional protection. They used 5cm Smoothie Windjammers from memory. That said - for the most part though, the testers only used the Baseball for interiors and it stayed on the mics (dominated mainly by DPA4018C, MKH 50, MKH8050 & Schoeps CMC's).

2 hours ago, Simon Davies said:

Yes, we've had some of the beta-testers who've added a Windjammer to give additional protection. They used 5cm Smoothie Windjammers from memory. That said - for the most part though, the testers only used the Baseball for interiors and it stayed on the mics (dominated mainly by DPA4018C, MKH 50, MKH8050 & Schoeps CMC's).

I like the baseball form because it look not very threatening, so it would be a good choice for documentary projects  - a small windjammer would be nice since it might allow to keep in on even on semi-open areas.

27 minutes ago, chrismedr said:

I like the baseball form because it look not very threatening, so it would be a good choice for documentary projects  - a small windjammer would be nice since it might allow to keep in on even on semi-open areas.

Thanks. A short pile black fur Windjammer will be added to the price list Chris - cheers, Simon

• 1 month later...
On 3/25/2017 at 2:51 PM, henrimic said:

I've tried it on my 8050 even outdoors with light wind with the fur of my W20. The baseball is very transparent, far better than the Schoeps. I hope Rycote will also make a 22mm version for the Neumann KM Series.

+1!

• 3 weeks later...
On 31 March 2017 at 0:36 AM, chrismedr said:

Hi Simon,

ready to order a Baseball or two. Any news on the fur and possibly an item number?

chris

Sorry Chris, this one slipped through... here are the details of the Baseball Windjammer

Description:        Baseball Windjammer
Order Code:        055345

• 1 year later...