The Sound of Apocalypse Now - A Letter

soundpod

I thought this may be of interest to people here.

I was given a copy of this letter back in 2001, it has lived in a box hidden until last week, when I finally found it. It is a letter written in 1977 by Eugene Jones, a documentary filmmaker who made a documentary called "The Face of War". This documentary was shown to the actors on Apocalypse during rehearsals and Jones was asked to supply some notes on the sound of war as a reference for the sound post work on Apocalypse.

Its a great read, a document of its time.

As you may note, page 22 is missing, thats how I received it. If anyone has a copy with page 22, I'd love to see it.

Enjoy the read

Nick G.

The_Sound_of_War.PDF

Edited by soundpod
mixed names corrected

All I'll say at this point is - THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

I'm going to download this tomorrow, print it out, and read it at leisure in a suitable environment - pub or crapper I expect, both ideal.

I actually picked up an Edwardian era (prob?) schoolbook a while back describing sound first as physics then in several environments, including eg underwater and war (being WWI in this case).

Thanks! I expect to enjoy this.

Jez

That second paragraph is AWESOME! That's as far as I've gotten.

BTW- it looks like the letter was sent to Tom Sternberg (a producer of Apocalypse), but written by Eugene Jones. Jones made A Face of War.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Face_of_War

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0428054/

Thanks so much for sharing this Nick.

20 hours ago, Jim Feeley said:

No worries Nick! Do you or does anyone here know more about this letter?

I was given this letter back in 2001 by a Dolby Consultant when I met him at one of the Sound Post houses here in Australia. I don't know where he got it from. It has been hiding in a box since then, and I have been trying to find it for most of those years. I finally dug it out last week, I was then able to scan it and post it so it will not be lost again.