SD633 x1x2 vs SD302 tape out

TommygunZA

Possible stupid question here but going thru the manual of the Sound devices 633 and 302 and fiddling is not illuminating me.

On my old SD302 there was a tape out, a 2 channel output on a single TA3 connector. This I had terminate in 2*1/4 inch jacks which went to my Zoom h4 recorder. Stuff panned left on the 302 went...left on the zoom, centered went to both channels and right went to right.

On my SD 633 When I assign master mix L+R to my X1   TA3 output and use the same connector and plug to my Zoom (just using it for testing at the mo) my panning on the mixer has no effect on which channel the signal goes to. Am I doing something wrong or is X1 a mono summed output. To get a true stereo out am I going to have to use both X1 (left) and X2 (right)?

X1 is a mono feed, which you have noticed because panning makes no difference. by assigning left and right to X1, you are effectively sending a mono sum.

so because you now have a separate output for each aux, you will need two TA3 to 1/4" cables and in the X1 and X2 routing menus, send Left to X1 and Right to X2.

alternatively, you could use the X3, X4 minijack output and either get a minijack to male TA3 adapter so you can use your existing cable, or get a minijack to 2x 1/4" jack, and assign L and R to X3 and X4.

• 1 month later...
X1 and X2 are single symmetrical outputs and Tape Out is a 2ch left/right non-symmetrical output with a different level. Although they look the same, they are completely different.

I understand the difference (I think) between line level, mic and tape out levels. But what is the difference between "single symmetrical output" vs "non symmetrical output"?

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, bdumaguina said:

I understand the difference (I think) between line level, mic and tape out levels. But what is the difference between "single symmetrical output" vs "non symmetrical output"?

symmetrical is often used to describe an balanced connection (although technically it's not quite the same thing).

but basically X1 and X2 are two balanced outputs (ie. one channel each on two single mini-XLR connectors) while Tape Out is an unbalanced two channel output (on a single mini-jack connector).

So if you output to a device with balanced inputs and have to run long cable lengths X1/X2 are preferred over tape out.

less expensive option than a new custom cable...buy a $99 Zoom H1 and use an off the shelf mini-mini cable to record your left right mix out the X3/X4 mini jack (on the left side of the 633). 

You'll get roughly the same quality recording as a zoom h4 via the h1 line input and it's a smaller, more simple recorder with a nice big record button.